Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 02:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,940,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It's amazing to me how the Trump cult just doesn't understand this. It's as if they believe the 1,237 is an arbitrary number, more like a suggestion than an actual requirement. They're like little children who expect the rules to be changed for them because they say so. You can almost see them stamping their little feet and threatening to hold their breath if they don't get their way.

Or in this case, threatening violence.
Part of that is because the establishment GOP has been so adamant in its opposition to Trump. They hear brokered convention or contested convention, and think of conspiratorial establishment GOP bosses plotting in the backroom.

It's more like a run-off. If you have the most delegates, but you don't have the majority of delegates which our system requires, it's like the local election for mayor. If John Smith is running for mayor, and in the election he get 452 of 1000 votes, the most votes of anyone running for mayor, it's not enough. So they have a run-off and the person who gets 501 votes or more gets to be mayor.

Well, at the convention, 2472 delegates will cast their votes in the first round of voting. Most of those delegates will be committed to one candidate or another, so we have a rough idea beforehand of how the voting will go. The nominee must get half of the delegate votes, plus one, to have a majority and to win the nomination. That's 1237 votes. If no one reaches that threshold, then there will be another round of voting, and another round and another round, until someone reaches that threshold. But who's on the slate is open, not just to candidates that had delegates committed to them, but to whomever can convince the delegates to vote for him or her, and who can persuade enough delegates to reach that 1237 threshold.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 02:39 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,105,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's a novel definition of "riot".
Yeah I know. When I think of Trump and his supporters non-violent civil disobedience comes to mind.
/Sarcasm

Old 03-16-2016, 02:46 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Yeah I know. When I think of Trump and his supporters non-violent civil disobedience comes to mind.
/Sarcasm

I'm sure they all read the teachings of Mohandas Gandhi.

Yeah, right.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:55 PM

35,143 posts, read 31,445,911 times
I doubt there will be riots but many Republicans will be so disgusted they'll just stay home.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:55 PM

30,357 posts, read 23,827,261 times
He's not saying he's advocating it, JHC do any of you actually read articles, he's stating what many people are feeling. He's facing reality while everyone else is losing their damn minds pretending that he's advocating it or trying to lead it.

The fact is, Trump is winning because people are pissed at the establishment. It doesn't matter if you think he's part of the establishment, he's NOT a politician, and he's scaring the carp out of the GOP, and that's what a large chunk of people want. They want the GOP to hear them. Clearly the GOP continues not to listen.

There is going to come a point when the anger boils over, and it could very well be if the GOP plays some stupid game like this. That's what he's saying. That so many are not getting it, that the GOP is not getting it, is WHY, at some point, something IS going to happen. Will it be this year if this bs happens? Who knows, but it's going to happen if government doesn't start listening.

TO BE VERY CLEAR to the reading comprehension impaired: I'm not advocating it, either. It's simply the reality.

My plan is to go ahead and become an Independent, and vote out every single Republican Representative and Senate member in every election. Every time. I will vote NO for all of them. Every. Single. Time. In the presidential election, I will never, ever vote for a Republican again.

The GOP, and too many in the general public, are not getting it. Trump is not the problem. He's the messenger. You all so busy shooting the messenger that you aren't focusing on the problem. The big, overbloated, egomaniacal government IS the problem.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:01 PM

22,515 posts, read 12,065,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Right. All the blue states have been trying to make it harder for blacks to vote while red states have been welcoming black voters into the booths.

//sarcasm off
Ummm...what? What are you yammering about now? How is anyone making it "harder for blacks to vote"?

Oh wait! I get it! You are one of those who insult minorities. Oh no, you don't come right out and say it but you dance around it. What you are saying is that minorities don't have any ID at all---and apparently, you think that they are incapable of figuring out how to obtain it. How insulting and condescending of you!

You also, for some strange reason, fear voters having to show ID to vote. Why is that? Are you afraid that having to show ID means that illegal aliens and dead people can't vote? Do tell.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:02 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,940,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
He's not saying he's advocating it, JHC do any of you actually read articles, he's stating what many people are feeling. He's facing reality while everyone else is losing their damn minds pretending that he's advocating it or trying to lead it.

The fact is, Trump is winning because people are pissed at the establishment. It doesn't matter if you think he's part of the establishment, he's NOT a politician, and he's scaring the carp out of the GOP, and that's what a large chunk of people want. They want the GOP to hear them. Clearly the GOP continues not to listen.

There is going to come a point when the anger boils over, and it could very well be if the GOP plays some stupid game like this. That's what he's saying. That so many are not getting it, that the GOP is not getting it, is WHY, at some point, something IS going to happen. Will it be this year if this bs happens? Who knows, but it's going to happen if government doesn't start listening.

TO BE VERY CLEAR to the reading comprehension impaired: I'm not advocating it, either. It's simply the reality.

My plan is to go ahead and become an Independent, and vote out every single Republican Representative and Senate member in every election. Every time. I will vote NO for all of them. Every. Single. Time. In the presidential election, I will never, ever vote for a Republican again.

The GOP, and too many in the general public, are not getting it. Trump is not the problem. He's the messenger. You all so busy shooting the messenger that you aren't focusing on the problem. The big, overbloated, egomaniacal government IS the problem.
The political parties are NOT government.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The political parties are NOT government.
Apparently they are.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Ummm...what? What are you yammering about now? How is anyone making it "harder for blacks to vote"?

Oh wait! I get it! You are one of those who insult minorities. Oh no, you don't come right out and say it but you dance around it. What you are saying is that minorities don't have any ID at all---and apparently, you think that they are incapable of figuring out how to obtain it. How insulting and condescending of you!

You also, for some strange reason, fear voters having to show ID to vote. Why is that? Are you afraid that having to show ID means that illegal aliens and dead people can't vote? Do tell.
I still can't give you a rep yet, although you have richly deserved them in several posts...I keep trying, but I guess I haven't passed around enough to get back to you. So I'll just give my rep here. Preach!

Old 03-16-2016, 03:04 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,990,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
Will he pay the legal fees of the rioters?
Yes, he will pay his campaign loans too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections