Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 03:06 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,328,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Nah, that's not the point. These guys all play the long game. Trump threatens their power structure, both sides. So if they have to throw the game, they can immediately reload (maybe) and begin the 2020 plan. If they go with trump, they threaten to upset the structure of elections and government that has kept them in power for years and years.
I think this is where you're wrong. The biggest pitfall of the Republicans lately is that they believe their own BS over results. They think a short term win means everything has changed. The crazy has been coming to the party for years, and rather than stop it, they've embraced every fringe idea in hope of getting enough butts in the tent to make a difference.

The issue is that it's no longer the Republican Party it's factional right wing groups operating under the auspices of a party. You have the Tea Party, the Evangelicals, the Constitutionalists, the Libertarians, all with different self interests that they're unwilling to place second to a greater good in order to win. They've fought so much against the Democrats and the all or nothing approach, they can't even compromise internally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 03:16 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,897,847 times
I think the current GOP will not nominate this usurper. They will use existing or made up convention rules to make certain The Donald does not get nominated. Whoever the Repubs do nominate will get all the Party money and support.

I do not know for certain what his response will be but given his ego and personality I think he will run as The Donald without any Republican Party support. He simply could not live with himself if he does not run for President.

The result will be a win for, most likely Ms. Clinton, as the establishment Conservatives split the vote with the insurgent blue collar Strumpets. Clinton may not ever gather as many popular votes as the combination of the Republican candidate and the Strumpets but she will gather enough Electoral college votes to become President.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:46 PM

30,375 posts, read 23,847,731 times
Quote:
and you are part of the republican party upper management. You need to decide...do you torpedo trump and try to sustain the 2 party power sharing structure that has been in place for 100 years....or.....do you reverse course and support him, knowing that you have a tiger by the tail which may turn and eat you and damage the republican party for a generation or more, maybe permanently?
What to do, what to do......?
You take another sip of your martini, stare at each other around the table, really think about the consequences of each action. Alienating voters will assure that not only will a Republican not win a presidency for a long time, and this country will be in total shambles, but most likely all of the Reps and Senate will get voted out because you just pissed off a large portion of your voter base.

You take another sip of your martini and think, "How bad would it be to have Hillary? We would lose the Supreme Court Judge position that we are playing with right now...we would lose the House, the Senate, the Supreme Court Judge, and the presidency if we try any stupid stunts right now."

You take another sip and really think about that.

Then you have an awakening. You realize that having Trump for president wouldn't be that scary. It would rattle you, absolutely, because the population has given you a big, fat warning that they are sick and tired of your .... but you still have Congress...and Congress does still have some power...and you already know that presidents have made all kinds of promises in the past but never could do them all because Congress won't allow it to happen...You think, "so maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't have a pissed off public and let what will happen, happen. Worst case scenario, he's only there for 4 years, and then we can find better candidates for the next run. And we will run it better because we have finally listened to the people. Best case scenario, his ideas actually work. Course, getting my hedge fund taxed to death is going to suck, but it's better than losing any Republican influence for who knows how many years...."

You then propose the idea to all the other drunks sitting at your table. You listen to their squabbling and outright indignation, but you tell them: "Guys, this is the reality. Yes, I know he has X on you, and Y on you, and A on you...and we know he will use that information to make deals to get what he wants...but a pissed off voter base is worse than 4 years of Trump."

You get a clue and let reason take hold. Surely you have enough faith in your party, in Congress, in the process...it's running like it's supposed to, right? So no worries!

Old 03-17-2016, 03:52 PM

26,051 posts, read 22,250,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
again, why would they not support hillary? she at least plays by the same set of rules as they do so game is familiar to them.

or wait, if trump picks palin as vp, they will go back and support him
Exactly. They threw the last two elections to Obama, they meaning the dynasty. Hillary was promised this nomination and the Presidency by the "dynasty", the one party that operates behind the scenes. The GOP is horrified that Trump would win because that is not how the script reads.

I always keep my word, so for me there would not be a problem or for those that I implied a promise to.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:59 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,793,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Did they give an indication of which party?
They mentioned the Libertarian and Constitution parties in the article.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:05 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,144,650 times
Quote:
They might. According to a report I just read there is thoughts along those lines. This from CNN:

"Rep. Trent Franks, a member of the House Freedom Caucus, attended the meeting briefly. So did conservative leader Bill Wichterman.

There was discussion that if Trump became GOP nominee, then "the GOP ceases to be a party for traditional conservatives, who must go elsewhere," according to the source familiar with the discussion. The thought process at this session was to work with "an existing third party instead of trying for ballot access."

So they would actually split off from whatever remains of the gop and throw their dollars and political heft into and existing third party. That would be awesome.
God, I can't wrap my head around this. I would have never imagined that there will come a time when any party is willing to break itself up (basically, the consequence) to prevent someone from taking the nomination/office fair and square. Cray cray.

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 04:05 PM
NCN

21,668 posts, read 25,680,315 times
Quote:
and you are part of the republican party upper management. You need to decide...do you torpedo trump and try to sustain the 2 party power sharing structure that has been in place for 100 years....or.....do you reverse course and support him, knowing that you have a tiger by the tail which may turn and eat you and damage the republican party for a generation or more, maybe permanently?
Maybe use your brain and realize he is the best thing to happen to the Republican party for centuries and stop acting like jerks and get behind him and support him.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:10 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,482,284 times
Quote:
Support Trump in the election, and give him a Vice President who'll unquestionably carry the GOP's water when Trump resigns or is impeached.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:36 PM

35,316 posts, read 17,217,680 times
Default Party has a responsibility to act as a gatekeeper

Quote:
Quote:
Nah, that's not the point. These guys all play the long game. Trump threatens their power structure, both sides. So if they have to throw the game, they can immediately reload (maybe) and begin the 2020 plan. If they go with trump, they threaten to upset the structure of elections and government that has kept them in power for years and years.
To me it is not only the threat to the "power structure." It is his threat to a system of laws as we live by. We live under the rule of laws, not men. And when we see headlines such as Trump: Could be riots if denied nomination we have to wonder how strong is his dedication to the rule of law. A would-be President is taking an oath that he will uphold his constitutional responsibilities to "faithfully administer" the laws.

Since Trump is already threatening to take his battle to the streets I believe it it sth duty of the leadership of the Republican Party to block his nomination. Contrary to the views of some the U.S. is a republic and not a democracy for a reason. We established structures to ensure that the U.S. would not descend into the mob rule into which France was fast sliding. Since the Electoral College is not the deliberative body of elders contemplated by the Framers, the parties have taken their place as gatekeepers. They must do their job, not just take the easy way out.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:53 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,793,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
To me it is not only the threat to the "power structure." It is his threat to a system of laws as we live by. We live under the rule of laws, not men. And when we see headlines such as Trump: Could be riots if denied nomination we have to wonder how strong is his dedication to the rule of law. A would-be President is taking an oath that he will uphold his constitutional responsibilities to "faithfully administer" the laws.

Since Trump is already threatening to take his battle to the streets I believe it it sth duty of the leadership of the Republican Party to block his nomination. Contrary to the views of some the U.S. is a republic and not a democracy for a reason. We established structures to ensure that the U.S. would not descend into the mob rule into which France was fast sliding. Since the Electoral College is not the deliberative body of elders contemplated by the Framers, the parties have taken their place as gatekeepers. They must do their job, not just take the easy way out.
you are 100% correct. so then the question is would the system and rule of law withstand a trump presidency? Even if the system of checks and balances withstood his initial impact, where does the national conversation go? Do more and more people go trump in a national mob rule? does the rule of law break down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections