Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times

Advertisements

The approval ratings of Congress have been in the toilet for decades. Has not mattered much which party has held the majority. Despite this, the people continue to reelect the same people. Makes no sense.

Seems now, a heck of a lot of people buy into POTUS with a magic wand. That somehow, by magic, the next POTUS, will not need multiple Acts of Congress and funding to achieve his agenda. Congress does not give unless they get. POTUS does not have line item veto power.

Congress and the Public | Gallup Historical Trends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 11:25 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,847,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
For those supporting Trump or Cruz....WHY?

Cruz has spent his entire legal career arguing in favor of the Constitutional rights of citizens. He has argued in front of the Supreme Court, and clerked for SCJ Rehnquist, and as TX Solicitor General, he took on cases that dealt with Constitutional issues on behalf of TX citizens and those of all citizens. His amicus brief was a key component in winning the Heller case.

Cruz will uphold his oath and he is the only conservative in the race. He believes in more freedom and less government.

That is why.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:56 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,746,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
They are republicans,who else they going to support?, they've just spent the best part of 8 years putting the hate on Obama now they are firing up their hate for Hillary or Bernie.I agree theres no logic to it.
No logic. No reason. No reasonableness. No true insight / intelligence. No perspective. No objectivity. No heart (no good heartedness). No discernment (unskillful rebellion against the status quo). No trust.
It's all cynicism, negativity, reactivity, untempered emotion, fear which creates anger. Jealousy. Scapegoating / finger-pointing. Small-mindedness.
That's why trump is where he is.
And he's also revealed / spot-lighted how many people in this country are as described above.

For what it's worth:

I'm as far to the left as possible. And i'm one of those unkempt (yet clean and intelligent) Sanders supporters. I don't like Hillary Clinton but i'll vote for her in the general to dump trump.

I'm not a flag waving patriot. Or a nationalist, etc., etc.. I resonate with John Lenin's "Imagine" and Marley's "One Love, One Heart. (and if you just rolled your eyes at that .... you're cynical! and closed. That's what happened. Cynicism. That's why Sanders probably won't get the nomination)

And i think that this country has somewhat of a rotten foundation given the genocide of the First People/Indians/Native Americans and slavery, but the "Founding Fathers" were highly intelligent and inspired men who set down laws and principles that were (and are) quite lofty. Very high. Even "sacred" in essence many feel.

Trump and his idiot supporters (who think this is some kind of a us vs them / game / reality t.v. program) are basically giving the finger to the very best of this country and its principles in the name of "making America great again". Trump and his supporters have no respect for the essence of the U.S. government. He has no respect for the constitution. He has no respect for the history of this country. He has no respect for anyone. He's a meglomaniac in the true sense of that word. And he says he's going to make American great again.

The negativity and ignorance that this election is spotlighting is truly appalling. I keep saying that i'm going to turn away from the "show" but it's so darn compelling in its horrificness. It's like not being able to turn away from a horrendous car accident or it's like watching the planes crash into the twin towers over and over and over.
Very interesting times.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:53 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,345,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
as I said, I don't get it. It's like these voters don't know how politics work. A President cannot just go do anything they want. There needs to be a bill passed through both houses. How can Trump or Cruz get anything done if they don't even have support of their own party? Shouldn't voters be choosing who they think is best to actually accomplish something? Rubio and Kasich have a much better chance of doing that.
The GOP has wasted many elections nominating left leaning Republicans in an attempt to make them more appealing in a general election, how has that worked out? They lose anyways. Time to nominate someone far right and at least give it a shot, its the right time after 7 years of Obama. However, the voters got it wrong by voting for the one idiot who does the worst against Hillary in every, single poll. Cruz actually beats her in most polls and had a great shot. Very little chance he gets the nomination now though.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:16 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,438,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Cruz . Very little chance he gets the nomination now though.

Dex,you've stumbled onto the truth! Since you now realize that Cruz has VERY LITTLE CHANCE of getting the nomination are you going to continue with the Trump bashing threads ad nauseam?Perhaps its time to start extolling the virtues of the thus far unnamed Third party candidate you intend to support in the fall.....We're all waiting with baited breath for your '270 to win' thread showing Gary Johnsons,[or whoevers],path to victory.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:18 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,345,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Dex,you've stumbled onto the truth! Since you now realize that Cruz has VERY LITTLE CHANCE of getting the nomination are you going to continue with the Trump bashing threads ad nauseam?Perhaps its time to start extolling the virtues of the thus far unnamed Third party candidate you intend to support in the fall.....We're all waiting with baited breath for your '270 to win' thread showing Gary Johnsons,[or whoevers],path to victory.
We will see how this all plays out. Thanks for being so concerned about my future!

Old 03-18-2016, 06:50 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,914,654 times
Easy question. MANY Republicans have been fighting a civil war with the GOP Establishment for decades. Trump and Cruz seem to be on our side. It's as simple as that.

(I will beat you to the punch: of COURSE we might be wrong about them, but that's a separate question altogether).

Old 03-18-2016, 06:56 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,001,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Can America survive with a "lame Duck" president for 4 long years?
We've survived with a lame duck for going on six years now. The greatest golfing president ever. Too bad he pays more attention to a par four than to the middle east.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:08 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,847,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
We've survived with a lame duck for going on six years now. The greatest golfing president ever. Too bad he pays more attention to a par four than to the middle east.
You try focusing on the genocide going on in the ME when MARCH MADNESS is calling. You think it's easy getting in 250 rounds of golf, partying with the Hollywood elite, vacationing in Hawaii and Martha's Vineyard and making all those fundraising events? THEN you expect me to lead the country TOO???

You must be smoking the same thing me and the Choom gang were when I was in high school!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections