Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 03:40 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,324,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I don't know what I am going to do come November. I vote Democratic but can't stand Hillary. I think she is political slime. The Republican party is filled with too many highly religious, climate denier, anti-homosexual nutjobs that I will never vote for them much less the biggest clown of them all...Trump.
That's acceptable, your one VOTE will NOT make a difference in the general election results in November!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 03:42 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I will write in Sanders if I must. Who did you vote for during the Texas primary?
In Texas write-in votes only count if the candidate has filed as a write-in:
Quote:
Write-in candidates for President file a declaration of write-in candidacy with the Secretary of State. The declaration may not be filed earlier than July 23, 2016, or later than 5:00 p.m. of August 22, 2016. The declaration must include the information about and signed consent from the candidate’s vice-presidential running mate. In addition to the declaration, a write-in candidate for President must provide signed, written statements of consent to be a presidential elector candidate from 38 presidential elector candidates (the number of presidential electors that federal law allocates to Texas).
Running For President in Texas

Old 03-18-2016, 03:46 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Thanks, didn't realize that, it's my first presidential election in this state.

If he's not on the ballot I'll probably just pick a 3rd party and throw my vote away over there then.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:47 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Florida too, but that's not the point of a write-in in states like that.

Your vote does count, even a write-in in states like Texas and Florida.

The current situation in the so-called republican party is proof of that, even if eventually the party owners change the by-laws in the coming months, it will be because of each and every vote.

Everything has consequences, every little thing.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:48 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Don't forget: This election will determine a Supreme Court Justice. If you want another ultra-conservative Justice, vote Republican. If not, you're going to have to vote for Hillary.

The direction of the Supreme Court hangs in the balance like never before, with one vacancy already, and Ginsberg at 83 years old, Kennedy at 79 and Breyer at 77. Thus the winner in November will likely pick up to 4 of the 9 justices (44%), especially considering that incumbents are more often than not, elected to a second term. With stakes like that, most voters are going to hold their nose and vote according to ideology, despite the warts on their party's candidate.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:57 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I don't know what I am going to do come November. I vote Democratic but can't stand Hillary. I think she is political slime. The Republican party is filled with too many highly religious, climate denier, anti-homosexual nutjobs that I will never vote for them much less the biggest clown of them all...Trump.
If nothing else, think about the Supreme Court. Usually in Texas it doesn't matter because the Republican always wins. But if Trump is the nominee, all bets are off and it could be a closer race than usual. So to paraphrase Lyndon Johnson, Clinton might be political slime, but she'd be your preferred brand of political slime.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:02 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
That's acceptable, your one VOTE will NOT make a difference in the general election results in November!
Given the relatively recent results in Gore v. Bush, we know this is not true. One vote can be a difference. Also note the close primary vote in Missouri as another example.

I deeply feel the dilemma, because I agree that it is a dilemma. IMO, this is the worst selection of prez candidates I have ever seen. Even Nixon v. McGovern was better. Perhaps Johnson v. Goldwater - except Goldwater was a man of principal, and LBJ was an effective prez for national issues - just Nam was a problem.

What is foresee is that the next four years, regardless of which of these candidates gets elected, is going to go very badly for the US. Each of the candidates is divisive, and none are capable of achieving a forward-looking consensus. Except perhaps Trump, who will gain some consensus from people opposing his extremist statements. I do not think Cruz stands any reasonable chance of the nomination. Sanders is a long shot, but would be closest to someone I could support. But I don't think he will get the nomination either.

Voting for the least evil does make sense, as otherwise you have thrown away your vote, IMO.

In this case, I'm going to have to vote for the candidate whom I think will be the LEAST damaging to the US in the long term.

Fortunately, I don't think any of them stand a chance to be more than a one term president.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Trump has admitted that he'll change.

Donald Trump: I'm very capable of changing to anything I want to change to - Washington Times

So you have no idea if he'll select an ultra-liberal scotus........

Old 03-18-2016, 04:07 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
I think she is political slime.

I KNOW she is political slime..........

Old 03-18-2016, 04:21 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I guess the GOP propaganda machine is working. It's making Democrats stay home in November (which is the only way they can win). All I have to do is imagine how a Republican president with an all-GOP Congress will undo President Obama's progress on the environment, health care, personal rights, etc...not to mention tilting the Court in their favor....to back Hillary all the way now that Bernie is essentially done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections