Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:30 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

Buried deep in the news today I find this interesting piece that Cruz superpac did not secure the right to use the picture of Melania in their attack ad. Just like a 5-year old, they just grabbed it. Trump brought it up but as usual he was pooh poohed. I am sure CNN will not be running stories on this. Interestingly, even this article headlines with Trump's false accusation where in fact he was right on the substance.

"Given Mair’s refusal to comment on that, we can’t say with certainty whether the super PAC contacted anyone about the rights to the photo — but if it did, it must have contacted the wrong person. Verglas, the photographer, says no one contacted him about the photo, and he’s the one who owns the rights to it."

Trump’s False Accusation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 07:40 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Buried deep in the news today I find this interesting piece that Cruz superpac did not secure the right to use the picture of Melania in their attack ad. Just like a 5-year old, they just grabbed it. Trump brought it up but as usual he was pooh poohed. I am sure CNN will not be running stories on this. Interestingly, even this article headlines with Trump's false accusation where in fact he was right on the substance.

"Given Mair’s refusal to comment on that, we can’t say with certainty whether the super PAC contacted anyone about the rights to the photo — but if it did, it must have contacted the wrong person. Verglas, the photographer, says no one contacted him about the photo, and he’s the one who owns the rights to it."

Trump’s False Accusation
And wasn't it discovered that the mailing address of the super-PAC was the same as the address for the Carly Fiorina campaign ? Sure, the snake oil salesman had nothing to do with it.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
And wasn't it discovered that the mailing address of the super-PAC was the same as the address for the Carly Fiorina campaign ? Sure, the snake oil salesman had nothing to do with it.
Even without this connection they are liable. Cruz is getting a free ride behind Trump's wake.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:00 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Default Cruz superpac used the picture of Melania illegally

Only the terminally naive would be shocked at this.

Cruz and Co. are sleaze merchants of the highest order, masquerading as some sort of "patriots." They sound smart to dumb people, though.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:02 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
Sorry but the use of the image isn't copyright infringement certainly not based upon any claim by Trump or his wife since the copyright holder is the photographer, and it sure as hell doesn't rise to the level of liable since the photograph is all over the internet, Melania is a public figure and the complaint has to be that the picture is untrue, the Cruz campaign knew it to be false and published it with malicious intent.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:09 AM

So "the photograph is all over the internet". Something a 5-year old would say. There are a lot of things that are available "over the internet." Try downloading a pirated Office at work then tell the lawyers it was "all over the internet." Besides, the photographer isn't as generous as you are.

"We then contacted the photographer, New York-based Antoine Verglas, who confirmed in an email that he was the only one who had the rights to the photo now. We asked if anyone had contacted him about buying the rights to the photo. Verglas responded: “No not anyone.”
He told us he hadn’t given permission to have the photo used by the super PAC and had not been in touch with the super PAC about it. “It basically constitutes a violation of my intellectual property,” Verglas told us. “This shooting was only supposed to appear in gq UK magazine and its website. I am looking with my attorney at different options.”

Old 04-01-2016, 04:02 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:

Trump’s False Accusation
Yawn. Just another lawsuit.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:04 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Even without this connection they are liable. Cruz is getting a free ride behind Trump's wake.
Not true at all. Trump makes Cruz look like the better choice. That says more about how horrible and unappealing Trump is rather than how good Cruz is.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,589 times
Quote:

Trump’s False Accusation
Why do you keep calling Liz Mair a Cruz PAC. It isn't. It is an anti-Trump PAC. Also Liz publicly stated that the Melanie Ad was done by her alone and had nothing to do with Ted Cruz.

It's the same thing as the Cruz PAC that send Fiorina money to stay in the race to combat Hillary at the beginning. She was best poised to take on Hillary at the beginning of the primary.

All of this nefarious conspiracy is getting ridiculous. It's ridiculous because you can turn on a clip of Donald Trump walking back just about everything he has said - like a child. Now that's a factual story to stick with.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:40 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Sorry but the use of the image isn't copyright infringement certainly not based upon any claim by Trump or his wife since the copyright holder is the photographer, and it sure as hell doesn't rise to the level of liable since the photograph is all over the internet, Melania is a public figure and the complaint has to be that the picture is untrue, the Cruz campaign knew it to be false and published it with malicious intent.
You know nothing about copyright laws then. It doesn't matter if a pic is "all over the internet", it does not give you the right to use it anywhere. There was a photo of John Kerry back in the 60s or 70, "all over the internet", and I put it up on my blog that I had. My hosting company got a "cease and desist" letter and the pic was taken down. I made no money, I was not selling it, but I had NO RIGHT to use it, even though it was "all over the internet". Try that one in court, see how well it stands up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections