Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 07:21 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Constitutional amendments do happen Ray, so never say never. Australia banned birthright citizenship in 2007 so it does happen.

If anchor babies and their families become an undue burden on American society (most would argue they already are), public resentment will continue to grow and things could change.
Ireland banned birthright about 2008, too.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:29 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Ireland banned birthright about 2008, too.
There are only 2-3 countries left in the world that still allow brithright citizenship. Sadly, we are one of them. It could change though if enough people get fed up with illegals and anchor babies.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
No. The illegals were granted "equal protection" but the ruling had nothing to do with citizenship issues.
True, but based on that ruling (and others like it) the chances of the Supreme Court reinterpreting jus soli are virtually nil.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:31 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Constitutional amendments do happen Ray, so never say never. Australia banned birthright citizenship in 2007 so it does happen.

If anchor babies and their families become an undue burden on American society (most would argue they already are), public resentment will continue to grow and things could change.
This really needs to happen in America, but because of our vast size and varied ways of life, millions of people don't think it's a problem until it shows up on their back door.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:34 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
This really needs to happen in America, but because of our vast size and varied ways of life, millions of people don't think it's a problem until it shows up on their back door.
And it will show up on their back door. Currently, millions of Americans who don't live in or near border states don't even have a clue about this issue.
They will though when illegals in large numbers start migrating north and into their backyards. It's only a matter of time.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:38 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
True, but based on that ruling (and others like it) the chances of the Supreme Court reinterpreting jus soli are virtually nil.
This debacle needs a once and for all ruling and should be retroactive back to the day after the idiot Reagan's amnesty.

Anyone that has come here illegally since 86, anyone born to those illegals and any subsequent anchors from the family line shall be deported.

Any visa overstayer and the kids they had after the expiration of their visa shall be deported and citizenship shall be stripped.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
And it will show up on their back door. Currently, millions of Americans who don't live in or near border states don't even have a clue about this issue.
They will though when illegals in large numbers start migrating north and into their backyards. It's only a matter of time.
I live in the mid-Atlantic and it showed up at my back door starting in the late 90s. They've created flophouses, some with 20-30 people living in them. They destroyed the once good schools to the point that the once good elementary school that my daughter attended now can't get full accreditation from the state. They brought gangs and shootings. Due to the flophouses, they've created parking problems and more gridlock on the road. The local politicians all turn a blind eye to it, too.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
This debacle needs a once and for all ruling and should be retroactive back to the day after the idiot Reagan's amnesty.

Anyone that has come here illegally since 86, anyone born to those illegals and any subsequent anchors from the family line shall be deported.

Any visa overstayer and the kids they had after the expiration of their visa shall be deported and citizenship shall be stripped.
That IMHO would be going way too far although I'm have NO problem yanking birthright for any US born person UNDER 18 years old if BOTH parents were illegal aliens.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I live in the mid-Atlantic and it showed up at my back door starting in the late 90s. They've created flophouses, some with 20-30 people living in them. They destroyed the once good schools to the point that the once good elementary school that my daughter attended now can't get full accreditation from the state. They brought gangs and shootings. Due to the flophouses, they've created parking problems and more gridlock on the road. The local politicians all turn a blind eye to it, too.
I hear ya. I love in a large suburb of Chicago. Tons of illegals running amok. Gangs. No insurance. No English. Terrible drivers. Clogging up roads and ERs. Ughhhh

Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That IMHO would be going way too far although I'm have NO problem yanking birthright for any US born person UNDER 18 years old if BOTH parents were illegal aliens.
Desperate times need desperate measures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections