Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 02:53 PM

250 posts, read 359,403 times

Advertisements

What a mess! Are you involved? Who are some of the politicians you actually respect? Have you ever thought of running for office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 08:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
Generally people only run for office to get on the gravy train. There are obstacles for the average working person to prevent them from running and the fact is that brain dead voters almost always re-elect incumbents. The amount of money spent for positions that hardly pay anything shows what the real motives of politicians are.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:24 PM

400 posts, read 516,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
... There are obstacles for the average working person to prevent them from running and the fact is that brain dead voters almost always re-elect incumbents. ...
I have to add that, a lot of voters, could care less as to know, research and evaluate the work of their Congresspersons. Maybe they'll hear the name of their Governor. And, who gives a hoot about your representative in the Florida Senate, right?
So, the incumbent's relatives, friends and business associates will re-elect them.

Look at the Lady Congressperson, still stuck, in her mind, on her Native Island place of birth.
Yet, her friends cintinue to re-elect 'cause no voter bothers to analyze and choose a better option!

Old 04-07-2016, 06:39 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,629,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
I have to add that, a lot of voters, could care less as to know, research and evaluate the work of their Congresspersons. Maybe they'll hear the name of their Governor. And, who gives a hoot about your representative in the Florida Senate, right?
So, the incumbent's relatives, friends and business associates will re-elect them.

Look at the Lady Congressperson, still stuck, in her mind, on her Native Island place of birth.
Yet, her friends continue to re-elect 'cause no voter bothers to analyze and choose a better option!
Ileana gRoss Lehtinen has to be the worst Congresswoman ever to grace the Miami political scene in decades with her focus on American policy towards Cuba and has done nothing for Floridians in Congress.
I have no idea how this woman keeps getting elected !

Old 04-07-2016, 07:52 PM

6 posts, read 5,438 times
I like her. She is tough on foreign policy.

Tell us Bob..what is her policy on Cuba?

What is your take on Cuba now with Potus cuddling up to Castro bros, and getting dis'd by Fidel?

And what do you expect from her for Floridians. Can you give some solid examples?

Old 04-08-2016, 04:41 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphins-ugh View Post
I like her. She is tough on foreign policy.

And what do you expect from her for Floridians. Can you give some solid examples?
In the House, she mainly focuses on foreign affairs, so limited direct focus on Florida affairs; however, Florida is an important military state regarding both Latin America and the Oil Crescent. I also notice that she intervenes forcefully in favor of citizens from her district when they run into problems abroad.

She is pro-business and fiscally conservative, yet laissez-faire on personal (misnomer social) issues. No one is perfect, but what more could you ask for, really? I wish we had more politicians in the fly-over states like that, this country would be a helluva lot better place to live in many respects.

In the past she has run unopposed or with weak opposition. This year she may face a challenge in the midst of some redistricting, among other factors.

Finally, one does well to remember that the Cuban/Castro thing for many of these people is personal. Personal. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2016, 10:22 PM

400 posts, read 516,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In the House, she mainly focuses on foreign affairs, so limited direct focus on Florida affairs; however, Florida is an important military state regarding both Latin America and the Oil Crescent. I also notice that she intervenes forcefully in favor of citizens from her district when they run into problems abroad.
Good Luck!
Quite. I suppose there is no rule about a Congressperson to represent the interests of the district which elected the person. Although working on broader issues is commendable, there should be a moral, simply decent commitment to work on specifics to her district.

The Cuban thing, I feel is her "force" to keep getting re-elected.
Honestly, any 18-50 year old voter in Florida, could care less about the Castro brothers.
And those are, probably the ones who don't bother to vote beyond Presidential candidates, if at all.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:14 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
Quite. I suppose there is no rule about a Congressperson ... to work on specifics to her district.
Well, what would they be from that federal government position?

A position on the House Transportation Committee and work to have more funds granted to our County for more public transportation? Maybe.

But my feeling is that we will solve our transportation & traffic issues through new technologies, maybe with the help of some government funding for primary research and, more likely, traffic control, safety & liability legislation.

Maybe coastal flooding issues? She does not represent Miami Beach or any of the beach areas, but rather communities touching Biscayne Bay and inland, but not as far as the Everglades. I am not aware of any ongoing coastal flooding issues along the Biscayne Bay area. Are there?

The Homestead Air Reserve Base is a big deal, and that's more or less what she does.

What else specific to our district should she be doing from that federal government position?

Old 04-09-2016, 05:32 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,568 times
Bale is correct. Dolphins -ugh Our propaganda said Castro couldn't last yet so many cowardly cubans came here instead of fighting for their own country. Once here they wasted our tax money by directing our resources to fighting their battles for them - instead of being concerned about AMERICA.

At least the younger generations of Cubans are cool.

Obama did what others should have done ages ago. Every other country recognized Cuba and we lost business and tourism.

Dolphins -You want Cuba liberated? Get off your ass and go there and fight. Don't hide under our skirts and whine.

Congresswoman Ross-L is pretty much a lightweight,but then look at her supporters.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:34 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Moved to the election forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections