Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:14 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,120,263 times

Advertisements

OK, Mr. Trump says he would collect a surcharge on any remittance made by the illegals back to Mexico. Out of curiosity, how would he identify which remittances belong to an illegal as opposed to legal residents and citizens, or businesses owned by aforesaid? Obviously, he would soon realize that illegals can and do easily obtain fake social security number and ID. Any thoughts?

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 07:19 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Trump give a realistic price on this imaginary wall he wants to build.
So you want a quote, so to speak. Why are you waiting for Trump? Go to some construction estimate sites and figure it for yourself. Or do you want him to give you a number so you can argue.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Facts trump the Donald

If we tax their products crossing the border, they'll tax our products crossing the border. There are facts in the article I posted above including how much we sell to Mexico and how much it's increased since NAFTA came into being. Do we really want to go back to what we used to have?
I researched this. In 1994, the first year NAFTA was ratified, we had almost trade parity with Mexico ($1.7B in our favor.) In 2015, 21 years later, it is $58B in their favor. Why wouldn't I want to go back to 1994? And these are not "Mexican" companies. They are American companies that moved down. We are not talking a sudden surge of Mexican industrial power producing products we never had.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:16 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So you want a quote, so to speak. Why are you waiting for Trump? Go to some construction estimate sites and figure it for yourself. Or do you want him to give you a number so you can argue.
I'm not the one who wants to build a silly wall that would do nothing. I also don't think we should be spending upward to $60 billion, if not more, for a wall that will take away property rights from Americans and do nothing to prevent what it claims to prevent.

Also, building a campaign on a wall is a bit idiotic, but it is what I expect from a reality TV show and Birther.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,850,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I already know what is going to happen...
-Talk about how great he is;
-Talk about how awful his competitors are;
-Ramble about nothing...

You got THAT right!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:04 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,223,170 times
Quote:
More like $25-60 billion dollars for a wall that wouldn't do anything.
You think like a politician, like government. You know the ones that are ok paying $5,000 for a toilet and $600 for a $25 hammer cause it's tax payer money, who cares. It's unbelievable how brainwashed people are. Nothing costs what the Gov says it does, they don't bid out properly, negotiation is nothing. That's why Tfump is winning.

As far as remittances, not just illegals paying, ANY money going back to Mexico. That's how it works. Simpleeeee.

You guys are hilarious. You don't think it can be done, cause your all boxed into one way of thinking. Typical drones...

Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I'm not the one who wants to build a silly wall that would do nothing. I also don't think we should be spending upward to $60 billion, if not more, for a wall that will take away property rights from Americans and do nothing to prevent what it claims to prevent.

Also, building a campaign on a wall is a bit idiotic, but it is what I expect from a reality TV show and Birther.
With all this, why are you even asking for an estimate? You are not interested. This is like asking a contractor for a quote while going on rant what a terrible idea the project is to begin with.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:39 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,489 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't it be legal? You can walk over the border every day if you want to and you don't have to declare how much money you are carrying unless it's over $10K (I think). People who live near the border go over all the time for all sorts of things: gasoline, coffee, dental work, prescriptions, cigarettes, liquor, etc.

Trust me. A 30% surcharge would have a lot of people doing this. Mexicans aren't stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Oh, let me see. If you are running a business, you would have to be licensed and pay taxes. So, if you are doing wire transfers of remittances and the law says you have to take out 30% in fees, then, yeah, if you are charging 10%, that wouldn't be legal.

It sounds like you are trying very hard to convince yourself that you wouldn't be doing anything wrong by using the worn out excuse "but everybody does it!"

You seem to be trying very hard to defend illegals and leaving the border unsecured. Just what is your dog in this fight?
I lived in Laredo for a year and you are correct about how things operate in a BORDER TOWN. However, most of the illegals do their best to get as far away from the border as they can. There was even a border control check-point 10 miles north of the border on I-35 that the illegals would hike cross country to get around so they could 'get out of Dodge'. The point being, taxing $$ going back to Mexico is a fantastic idea. Walking $$ into Mexico is akin to tax-dodging. It happens, you can never stop it, but you are going to collect a lot.

El Nox

Old 04-04-2016, 12:53 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
You think like a politician, like government. You know the ones that are ok paying $5,000 for a toilet and $600 for a $25 hammer cause it's tax payer money, who cares. It's unbelievable how brainwashed people are. Nothing costs what the Gov says it does, they don't bid out properly, negotiation is nothing. That's why Tfump is winning.

As far as remittances, not just illegals paying, ANY money going back to Mexico. That's how it works. Simpleeeee.

You guys are hilarious. You don't think it can be done, cause your all boxed into one way of thinking. Typical drones...
So how exactly are we going to pay for this silly wall? Take money from illegals and "any money" going back to Mexico? That is like someone trying to plan their retirement based on winning the lottery. Also, do you expect Americans to build this wall for free? People want to be paid, you have to take land from Americans to build it, you have to build an infrastructure to get the workers and materials to the site, and then you have to pay all those working on the wall as well as all the materials needed to make the wall. None of that is cheap and anyone who has done construction knows things can add up quickly.

So when someone like Trump throws out a vague low ball number, he is in fact lying about how much it would cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
With all this, why are you even asking for an estimate? You are not interested. This is like asking a contractor for a quote while going on rant what a terrible idea the project is to begin with.
Here is the thing, I am not the one who wants this stupid wall, you are. So I am asking you how much it would cost because it is something you should know if it is something you want.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:53 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Technically, I'd only be doing it for "friends."

My dog is: I pay taxes. The wall is a huge waste of money. A lot of the illegals now are from Asia. Plus, I had a friend who was illegal. She came here on vacation and decided to just stay. She was from London. (She eventually married an American and I lost touch with her.) Anyway, I think we should treat all illegals the same and the wall isn't going to do it.
Nonsense.

When Clinton was president, a wall was built at the San Diego/Tijuana part of the border. It drastically cut down on crime and illegal crossings.

Tell the ranchers whose properties are on the border that the wall is "a huge waste of money". They have been begging for a wall for years now.

How can you be in favor of leaving the border totally unprotected? That's totally unacceptable.

Most illegals are from Mexico, Central and South America. So, having a wall in place is a necessity. Plenty of OTMs fly into Mexico, hire coyotes and sneak into this country.

It's nothing new that we have illegals from other parts of the world. In the past, ICE has deported illegals back to 189 different countries. 189 different countries covers every race, religion and ethnicity.

You mention being a taxpayer. Do some research as to how much taxpayer money is being used to subsidize illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections