Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 12:30 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times

Advertisements

What's sickening is the people willing to be used as pawns, specifically Kasich. Has no chance of winning the presidency but perfectly happy to line his pockets and be used to take it away from someone else.

He's almost giddy at the prospect of the GOP convention and grabbing the nomination away from someone who has the most votes. That is a person who lacks integrity and people like that are crawling all over Washington. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 12:32 PM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
The whole system is corrupt, the economy is rigged, the election is rigged. If nothing else trump is proving this as fact. The people will decide if they want to do anything about it.
Awwww, not really. It's a Republic. Maybe you have convinced yourself America is a Democracy. FTR, it appears to me that Trump, who appears to be unqualified and is unwanted by most people, is proving the worth of the Republic system. The delegates at the convention will correct the mistake made by the proletariat.

What we're going to see now, is the worth of both parties:
Will the Dems be silly enough to nominate Hillary?
Will the Republicans find a way to nominate someone who can win AND run the country?
Faith, Y'all.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:36 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I agree with you. If there was even a third party - but preferably a 4th or 5th significant parties - the election of a presidential candidate would require a coalition and that would have a moderating effect on issues and platforms. We have become too polarized ... too hyper-partisan.
It currently requires groups to form coalitions.

We haven't become overly partisan because of the two-party system. We've become overly partisan because of political groups that have discovered they can hold our government hostage, preventing the government from acting.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:39 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't understand what is "disgusting" about this.

The PARTY chooses who the PARTY will support. The PARTY is, and has always been a private organization with money and influence to wield on behalf of whomever the PARTY chooses.
Fine. Then the PARTY should stop the pointless game of having people vote in primaries, wasting time of the people for nothing, and hang a big sign at closed primary polling places that says: "WE PICK THE CANDIDATE!"

Sounds more honest to me. But then again, the game of politics is far from being honest so I suppose it makes logical sense why this game continues.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:49 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Fine. Then the PARTY should stop the pointless game of having people vote in primaries, wasting time of the people for nothing, and hang a big sign at closed primary polling places that says: "WE PICK THE CANDIDATE!"

Sounds more honest to me. But then again, the game of politics is far from being honest so I suppose it makes logical sense why this game continues.
It's not a pointless game. The party nominates their candidate. They want a candidate that can win. The primaries are a prolonged vetting process, that allows the party to test the candidate's strengths and weaknesses, and to assess whether voters would support a candidate. The party wants to nominate a candidate that can win, and that will also represent the priorities and goals of the party.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
It's not a pointless game. The party nominates their candidate. They want a candidate that can win. The primaries are a prolonged vetting process, that allows the party to test the candidate's strengths and weaknesses, and to assess whether voters would support a candidate. The party wants to nominate a candidate that can win, and that will also represent the priorities and goals of the party.
If the party doesn't pick the candidate who won the vast majority of the popular primary vote/the most electorate votes, primary voting is indeed a pointless game.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:52 PM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Then why the pointless primary voting? It's a waste of time...b/c they are going to pick who they want anyway, it's such a dog and pony show.

I don't care what the party wants to do, it is "WE the People". that is who it's about, not the party....and recently our party has become sniveling liberals....

Old 04-07-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Then why the pointless primary voting? It's a waste of time...b/c they are going to pick who they want anyway, it's such a dog and pony show.

I don't care what the party wants to do, it is "WE the People". that is who it's about, not the party....and recently our party has become sniveling liberals....
Exactly. And if they override the will of the majority primary vote/majority of the electorates, they should be ready for a bunch of people to never vote for that party again for a generation. Can they be that stupid? I believe they can.

Sorry can't rep you again....I'm all repped out. Next time.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:58 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Oh stop...What you said is completely wrong. They serve the damn public. Just stop.
Also, if they don't serve the public then the RNC needs to pay ALL GOP salaries, not the tax payer. That's how I know you are full of ****.
You are so confused. You don't have a right to vote for a political party's nominee. Party candidates for elected office serve no one and you don't pay a political party or its candidate one red cent. What you do pay for are the salaries of elected members of the Congress and the Executive branch of government and political nominees don't owe you crap until they are elected and actually become representatives of the people.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
You are so confused. You don't have a right to vote for a political party's nominee. Party candidates for elected office serve no one and you don't pay a political party or its candidate one red cent. What you do pay for are the salaries of elected members of the Congress and the Executive branch of government and political nominees don't owe you crap until they are elected and actually become representatives of the people.
I think you had the bought off system/not for the people defined right until the end......they still don't owe the people "Crap" when elected because they continue to owe their donors above all else.

But very well put otherwise on our bought off system. Working as it "Should". Yep. Isn't it wonderful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections