Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 06:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

After he came out about temporarily banning Muslim refugees until they could be properly vetted, he took a lot of heat...and then all of a sudden everyone and his mother was coming out of the woodwork to say they were falsifying documentation and we couldn't properly vet them.

Now it's NATO.

Quote:
"For under an hour, senators grilled Stoltenberg, a former prime minister of Norway, about why only five members of the 28-nation club spend at least 2 percent of their gross domestic product on defense, the official amount NATO recommends each nation set aside. Some expressed particular dissatisfaction with Germany, the fourth largest economy in the world, which does not meet the 2 percent threshold. “They’re being laggards. I can’t think of a better word for it,” Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told Foreign Policy after exiting the meeting. “I have expressed this in Munich, I have expressed this in Davos, I have expressed this in every forum where Europeans are listening.”

Senators Slam NATO
Of course, the inclination of the Senate is just to talk it to death, not actually do something about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 06:59 AM

1,184 posts, read 720,980 times
He's right about NATO...other members should contribute more. Is that why Germany can afford to bail Europe out, take in a million refugees and offer free college?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:04 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
I find it interesting the things that Trump brings up as election issues are later addressed by congress as we see with NATO, or Obama as we see with corporate inversions. That's one of the reasons congress earns it's all talk no action label. Where have they been while this has been going on for decades ? Then Obama starts doing something on corporate inversions. Why did it take him 7 years to confront it ?

Trump haters can say what they want but the fact is never has a candidate running for election cause so much concern on issues the elected have been silent on. Most of the Trump haters have no argument on the issues but prefer to ridicule Trump supporters who have shown ample reasons for their loyalty to the issues and Trump's campaign. When putting Americans first is something to be demonized no wonder the base is fortified.

"GO TRUMP" or live in a 3rd world dump

Old 04-07-2016, 07:04 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
After he came out about temporarily banning Muslim refugees until they could be properly vetted, he took a lot of heat...and then all of a sudden everyone and his mother was coming out of the woodwork to say they were falsifying documentation and we couldn't properly vet them.

Now it's NATO.

Of course, the inclination of the Senate is just to talk it to death, not actually do something about it.

He was addressing banning refugees that were already in the pipeline and as usual he didn't offer any solution except for halting their migration to the US.

NATO has been underfunded for years, even Great Britain announced a few years back that they were backing off the 2%, this is not a revelation.

So once again his solution is to disband NATO, no wonder Putin loves him. So again what his solution, when Russia invades Poland what next.

He tells the angry segment of voters exactly what they want to hear but he is a novice.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:07 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He was addressing banning refugees that were already in the pipeline and as usual he didn't offer any solution except for halting their migration to the US.

NATO has been underfunded for years, even Great Britain announced a few years back that they were backing off the 2%, this is not a revelation.

So once again his solution is to disband NATO, no wonder Putin loves him. So again what his solution, when Russia invades Poland what next.

He tells the angry segment of voters exactly what they want to hear but he is a novice.
Anyone who hasn't held the office of POTUS is a novice as Obama continues to demonstrate.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Another post of misinformation.
He is saying they need to pay up if they want the support of NATO. They need to support NATO and they will pay up if it's important to them or they can get out and go it on their own. The free ride is over.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:23 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I find it interesting the things that Trump brings up as election issues are later addressed by congress as we see with NATO, or Obama as we see with corporate inversions. That's one of the reasons congress earns it's all talk no action label. Where have they been while this has been going on for decades. Then Obama starts doing something on corporate inversions. Why did it take him 7 years to confront it ?

Trump haters can say what they want but the fact is never has a candidate running for election cause so much concern on issues the elected have been silent on. Most of the Trump haters have no argument on the issues but prefer to ridicule Trump supporters who have shown ample reasons for their loyalty to the issues and Trump's campaign. When putting Americans first is something to be demonized no wonder the base is fortified.
I agree that one of the good things to come out of Trump's campaign is that it has forced congress/current administration to consider issues they have ignored. The trade deficit, NATO funding, out-sourcing of jobs, H-1/2b visas, tariffs, corporate tax evasion loopholes, and failure to enforce illegal immigration laws are all issues that need to be examined and addressed. I don't care who addresses these issues as long as someone does. Bill Clinton gets credit for "workfare" even though it wasn't his idea and I couldn't care less. I am just happy with the results. I feel the same way about many of the things Trump has brought up.

I wish the man was not such an immature, egotistical, vengeful demagogue who I could never vote for because my fear of him starting WWIII outweighs the merits of his points. I don't vote based on personality, otherwise I would be supporting Sanders and would shoot myself before voting for Cruz, but the potential danger of Trump's personal flaws are so extreme that they can not be discounted.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:34 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog9 View Post
He's right about NATO...other members should contribute more. Is that why Germany can afford to bail Europe out, take in a million refugees and offer free college?
It is the old adage that they always go for the deep pockets first. In lawsuits, the first party getting sued is the one with the money. To figure out that NATO is obsolete you don't need a room full of advisors. Trump is right when he says he follows his instincts. The "best and the brightest" have repeatedly led this notion down ruinous paths. From Dean Rusk and McNamara to Bush and Rumsfeld. Now they are telling us unless Trump huddles with the modern day best and and the brightest he is not "presidential".

Old 04-07-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree that one of the good things to come out of Trump's campaign is that it has forced congress/current administration to consider issues they have ignored. The trade deficit, NATO funding, out-sourcing of jobs, H-1/2b visas, tariffs, corporate tax evasion loopholes, and failure to enforce illegal immigration laws are all issues that need to be examined and addressed. I don't care who addresses these issues as long as someone does. Bill Clinton gets credit for "workfare" even though it wasn't his idea and I couldn't care less. I am just happy with the results. I feel the same way about many of the things Trump has brought up.

I wish the man was not such an immature, egotistical, vengeful demagogue who I could never vote for because my fear of him starting WWIII outweighs the merits of his points. I don't vote based on personality, otherwise I would be supporting Sanders and would shoot myself before voting for Cruz, but the potential danger of Trump's personal flaws are so extreme that they can not be discounted.
I'm going to think about what you're saying in bold.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:44 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I'm going to think about what you're saying in bold.
I guess I wasn't clear enough, perhaps I should have said I have never voted on personality before. This is the first time the personality of the candidate has ever been a driving force in my voting decision. As I said, the potenial danger of his personality flaws are so extreme they can not be discounted, which is what I would normally do. Trump is the exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections