Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I don't deny that there are POS cops out there. I used to work with some of these POS's. I also saw many actions that I objected to, like overuse of force and treating everyone (EVERYONE) like criminals.
But blacks are unqualified to complain about that? People just need to shut up and accept that?

Quote:
Having said that, the AA community's part in the high incarceration rates are undeniable.
We've addressed this. A large number are incarcerated for doing nothing more than you do. Did prohibition teach us nothing?

Quote:
You seem to be fixated on this fantasy notion that if we get rid of corrupt cops that the AA's incarceration rates will go down.
Despite the fact that I've argued well beyond that? If we made their actions that mirror your own, no longer illegal will the incarceration numbers fall?

If they smoke some pot they get arrested but you can get falling down drunk and all is fine. They get caught walking home with pot they are arrested. You walk home with a case of beer and all is fine.

Quote:
That's not how it works. It takes 2 to tango, as they say. I fully support crackdown of corrupt police conducts. I also fully support the AA community to look within themselves and make corrections.

And no, 71% of birthrates outside of wedlock is not a good thing. I'm a homo and even I recognize this.
You may support it but far, far too often they were getting away with it. Why is it O.K. for you to have a problem with it but do nothing but others who want to do something are wrong?

It's O.K. to be against police corruption as long as you stay home and ease your conscience with alcohol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 08:57 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is just WEAK of Clinton...giving into BLM while campaigning for Hillary.

I guess BLM doesn't care about crime in communities committed by black people against black people?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/09/us...phia.html?_r=0
Watching an ex-sitting president grovel at the feet of a cop-hating-violence-incditing-agenda-driven fringe group, for the benefit of his lying-wife-presidential-candidate is unseemly.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:04 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
While you will not admit to it, that is the bottom line complaint with BLM....that for decades the police have been able to get away with it at the detriment of their communities.
Yep, that's what that movement is about. Things like people getting shot in the back while running away, people getting shot in open carry states while holding air guns still in the package, kids getting shot playing in the park or sleeping on the couch, people getting shot at traffic stops while reaching for the ID the police told them to get (we have TWO of those on video!), people getting shot while bringing McDonalds home for the kids, people getting shot in their own driveway coming home after work, people getting shot or choked to death or thrown in jail for the kinds of things that normally get you a ticket and a small fine. And police simply lie on the report and get away with it.

That stuff has been going on for decades. The advent of cell phone video has made it come to the surface. People are protesting trying to get it changed. They want new police training and police held accountable when they screw up.

It's is not a movement about "black criminals" who "should have obeyed the law".

For the Clintons, as was alluded to above, the Clinton crime bill didn't really do anything to reduce crime. But it did have the unintended effect of over-sentencing low level offenses which created a whole new set of issues. I believe they meant well at the time, plus it was political suicide not to be "tough on crime" at that moment. But for the BLM people it's an example of the overall problem they are fighting against... The idea that black people get harsher, sometimes even fatal judgements against them even when they didn't do anything wrong, or did something really minor.

To me BLM suffers from being a leaderless movement. They did that by design, because they don't believe in top down organizational structures. But it does mean anyone can take up the cause and do anything under the BLM name so you get random people doing dumb things. I also think they get too dogmatic, so they can turn people off because it seems like they aren't willing to work with anyone who is in actual power. But there is nothing wrong with that cause itself, they have a point IMO.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:42 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I don't deny that there are POS cops out there. I used to work with some of these POS's. I also saw many actions that I objected to, like overuse of force and treating everyone (EVERYONE) like criminals.

Having said that, the AA community's part in the high incarceration rates are undeniable.

You seem to be fixated on this fantasy notion that if we get rid of corrupt cops that the AA's incarceration rates will go down.

That's not how it works. It takes 2 to tango, as they say. I fully support crackdown of corrupt police conducts. I also fully support the AA community to look within themselves and make corrections.

And no, 71% of birthrates outside of wedlock is not a good thing. I'm a homo and even I recognize this.
Ugh, why do I have a feeling you're a lonely old white man wearing "digital blackface"? "I'm a homo". Give me a break.

I'm so tired of pathetic WHITE MEN acting like they're a black person so they can further their rotten agendas.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:44 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yep, that's what that movement is about. Things like people getting shot in the back while running away, people getting shot in open carry states while holding air guns still in the package, kids getting shot playing in the park or sleeping on the couch, people getting shot at traffic stops while reaching for the ID the police told them to get (we have TWO of those on video!), people getting shot while bringing McDonalds home for the kids, people getting shot in their own driveway coming home after work, people getting shot or choked to death or thrown in jail for the kinds of things that normally get you a ticket and a small fine. And police simply lie on the report and get away with it.

That stuff has been going on for decades. The advent of cell phone video has made it come to the surface. People are protesting trying to get it changed. They want new police training and police held accountable when they screw up.

It's is not a movement about "black criminals" who "should have obeyed the law".

For the Clintons, as was alluded to above, the Clinton crime bill didn't really do anything to reduce crime. But it did have the unintended effect of over-sentencing low level offenses which created a whole new set of issues. I believe they meant well at the time, plus it was political suicide not to be "tough on crime" at that moment. But for the BLM people it's an example of the overall problem they are fighting against... The idea that black people get harsher, sometimes even fatal judgements against them even when they didn't do anything wrong, or did something really minor.

To me BLM suffers from being a leaderless movement. They did that by design, because they don't believe in top down organizational structures. But it does mean anyone can take up the cause and do anything under the BLM name so you get random people doing dumb things. I also think they get too dogmatic, so they can turn people off because it seems like they aren't willing to work with anyone who is in actual power. But there is nothing wrong with that cause itself, they have a point IMO.

Homicide rates for black males 10-24 dropped dramatically in the 90s. Clearly, his crime bill worked.

People forget it was black people who was asking for the crime bill to be signed because inner city black neighborhoods was AWFUL.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Over 50% of the people in prison are there on drug offenses and over 25% of them are for pot. That is a lot of people for something that was harming no one.

Just How Much The War On Drugs Impacts Our Overcrowded Prisons, In One Chart
Our prison system is completely broken and we're paying $80 billion/yr to run it. We have the highest incarceration rates in the world. And we're a democracy. Makes no sense. Doing a lot of things wrong. Archaic system. Our country needs to think outside the box and improve this mess.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:54 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

Homicide rates for black males 10-24 dropped dramatically in the 90s. Clearly, his crime bill worked.

People forget it was black people who was asking for the crime bill to be signed because inner city black neighborhoods was AWFUL.
I remember those days.

Also, the crime bill does NOT address nonviolent crime - so this bill can't really be blamed for all the drug offenders being incarcerated.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

It was dropping before the bill was inacted and didn't drop any faster once the bill got going. This has been studied up the wazoo.

Who forgot some black leaders were involved? I already said most folks involved meant well. But there were also people at the time that warned they were over sentencing and over policing it would cause problems, and those people turned out to be correct.

Its a situation worth exploring IMO.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:24 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Wasn't Bill a big part of the reason she started losing to Obama 8 years ago? He went to South Carolina and started opening his mouth, pissing off black folks left and right. She probably just needs to pull him off the stump.

Sometimes I wonder if he's intentionally sabotaging her a little. LOL
That's exactly what happened. I was surprised that she is letting Bill talk to Black people now. It doesn't take much to set off the "outrage".

Old 04-10-2016, 11:12 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Oddly enough, as a Republican, this Crime Bill is one of the things I'd give Clinton credit for. He's obviously buckeling to the bad press that is hurting Hillary's campaign, but the man was right back then, and his rebuttal to their protesting was absolutely correct. The bill was designed to protect the very same people back then that they complain about today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections