Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 AM

140 posts, read 293,914 times

Advertisements

The truth is out. Obama's public speaking skills SUCK without a teleprompter. The liberals who attack Bush for using a Teleprompter now have something to worry about. Without one, Obama shows how much of a horrible speaker he is. During list last speech, he used 3x5" flash cards and the speach sucked. I guess the new media "Jesus Christ" loses his miraculous powers once that teleprompter is down, huh?

So people get a glimpse of this highly un-skilled individual is all about.

It was thus interesting to see Obama climb to the stage at Virginia's Jefferson-Jackson Dinner on Saturday night. As he strode to the podium, Obama clutched in his hands a pile of 3 by 5 index cards. The index cards meant only one thing--no Teleprompter.

Once he lost his best friend (the Teleprompter), Obama has shown us he is a horrible speaker.

Shorn of his Teleprompter, we saw a different Obama. His delivery was halting and unsure. He looked down at his obviously copious notes every few seconds throughout the speech. Unlike the typical Obama oration where the words flow with unparalleled fluidity, he stumbled over his phrasing repeatedly.He need to READ every single word before saying it or he would have no clue on what to say.

The prepared text for his remarks, as released on his website, sounded a lot like a typical Obama speech. All the Obama dramatis personaethat we've come to know so well were there--the hapless family that had to put a "for sale" sign on its front lawn, the factory forced to shutter its doors and, of course, the mother who declares bankruptcy because "she cannot pay her child's medical bills. This is the SAME rethoric used by the now-doomed campaign of John Edwards. The difference, of course, is that Obama is a media god, while Edwards was scoffed by many in the same media.

But Saturday night's stem-winder turned out quite differently from the typical Obama speech. With no Teleprompter signaling the prepared text, Obama failed to deliver the speech in his characteristically flawless fashion. He had to rely on notes. And his memory. And he improvised. The improv parts is when you see the REAL Obama - angry, liberal, and BORING!

Here are some quotes from the Obama speech (when he went more than 2 seconds w/o looking at his notes):

"Now I understand some of the excitement doesn't have to do with me. I know that whatever else happens whatever twists and turns this campaign may take, when you go into that polling place next November, the name George Bush won't be on the ballot and that makes everybody pretty cheerful. Everyone's happy about that. The name of my cousin Dick Cheney won't be on the ballot. That was embarrassing when that news came out. When they do these genealogical surveys, you want to be related to somebody cool. So, but, his name went be on the ballot. --> Can anyone decode this one, please? THis sounds like a rambling of alunatic to me!

"Each of us running for the Democratic nomination agrees on one thing that the other party does not--that the next president must end the disastrous policies of George W. Bush. No more Scooter Libby Justice! No more Brownie incompetence! No more Karl Rove politics." -->
his tone was VERY angry and bitter. Check it out on YouTube.
The results weren't just interesting because they revealed Obama as a markedly inferior speaker without the Teleprompter. Obama's supporters have had ample notice that the scripted Obama is far more effective than the spontaneous one. The extremely articulate and passionate Obama that makes all the speeches has yet to show up at any of the debates. For such a gifted and energetic speaker, he is an oddly tongue-tied and indifferent debater.

In conclusion: What makes Obama's Jefferson-Jackson speech especially relevant is where he went when he went off script. The unifying Obama who has impressed so many people during this campaign season vanished, replaced by just another angry liberal railing against George W. Bush, Karl Rove, Exxon Mobil, and other long standing Democratic piñatas. The pressing question that Obama's decidedly uninspiring Jefferson-Jackson oratory raises is which Obama is the real Obama--the one who read beautifully crafted words from a Teleprompter after his victory in Iowa, or the tediously angry liberal who improvised in Virginia?

I think we already know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 09:46 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
This is why he comes off so poorly in debates. Clinton does far better in off the cuff remarks than Obama.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Puppets don't work well without strings!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:53 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
I wish I could watch a recording to form my own judgement.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:53 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,251,744 times

YouTube - Virginia Jefferson-Jackson Dinner - Barack Obama Speaks

Funny, a lot of people liked this speech because it gave a bit more substance rather than just the stump speech.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
The unifying Obama who has impressed so many people during this campaign season vanished, replaced by just another angry liberal railing against George W. Bush, Karl Rove, Exxon Mobil, and other long standing Democratic piñatas.
I think there are MANY legitimate reasons to be angry at George Bush, Karl Rove, etc. If you're not angry, you're probably not paying enough attention.

BTW, I think it was a pretty good speech.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
The truth is out. Obama's public speaking skills SUCK without a teleprompter. The liberals who attack Bush for using a Teleprompter now have something to worry about. Without one, Obama shows how much of a horrible speaker he is. During list last speech, he used 3x5" flash cards and the speach sucked. I guess the new media "Jesus Christ" loses his miraculous powers once that teleprompter is down, huh?

So people get a glimpse of this highly un-skilled individual is all about.

It was thus interesting to see Obama climb to the stage at Virginia's Jefferson-Jackson Dinner on Saturday night. As he strode to the podium, Obama clutched in his hands a pile of 3 by 5 index cards. The index cards meant only one thing--no Teleprompter.

Once he lost his best friend (the Teleprompter), Obama has shown us he is a horrible speaker.

Shorn of his Teleprompter, we saw a different Obama. His delivery was halting and unsure. He looked down at his obviously copious notes every few seconds throughout the speech. Unlike the typical Obama oration where the words flow with unparalleled fluidity, he stumbled over his phrasing repeatedly.He need to READ every single word before saying it or he would have no clue on what to say.

The prepared text for his remarks, as released on his website, sounded a lot like a typical Obama speech. All the Obama dramatis personaethat we've come to know so well were there--the hapless family that had to put a "for sale" sign on its front lawn, the factory forced to shutter its doors and, of course, the mother who declares bankruptcy because "she cannot pay her child's medical bills. This is the SAME rethoric used by the now-doomed campaign of John Edwards. The difference, of course, is that Obama is a media god, while Edwards was scoffed by many in the same media.

But Saturday night's stem-winder turned out quite differently from the typical Obama speech. With no Teleprompter signaling the prepared text, Obama failed to deliver the speech in his characteristically flawless fashion. He had to rely on notes. And his memory. And he improvised. The improv parts is when you see the REAL Obama - angry, liberal, and BORING!

Here are some quotes from the Obama speech (when he went more than 2 seconds w/o looking at his notes):

"Now I understand some of the excitement doesn't have to do with me. I know that whatever else happens whatever twists and turns this campaign may take, when you go into that polling place next November, the name George Bush won't be on the ballot and that makes everybody pretty cheerful. Everyone's happy about that. The name of my cousin Dick Cheney won't be on the ballot. That was embarrassing when that news came out. When they do these genealogical surveys, you want to be related to somebody cool. So, but, his name went be on the ballot. --> Can anyone decode this one, please? THis sounds like a rambling of alunatic to me!

"Each of us running for the Democratic nomination agrees on one thing that the other party does not--that the next president must end the disastrous policies of George W. Bush. No more Scooter Libby Justice! No more Brownie incompetence! No more Karl Rove politics." -->
his tone was VERY angry and bitter. Check it out on YouTube.
The results weren't just interesting because they revealed Obama as a markedly inferior speaker without the Teleprompter. Obama's supporters have had ample notice that the scripted Obama is far more effective than the spontaneous one. The extremely articulate and passionate Obama that makes all the speeches has yet to show up at any of the debates. For such a gifted and energetic speaker, he is an oddly tongue-tied and indifferent debater.

In conclusion: What makes Obama's Jefferson-Jackson speech especially relevant is where he went when he went off script. The unifying Obama who has impressed so many people during this campaign season vanished, replaced by just another angry liberal railing against George W. Bush, Karl Rove, Exxon Mobil, and other long standing Democratic piñatas. The pressing question that Obama's decidedly uninspiring Jefferson-Jackson oratory raises is which Obama is the real Obama--the one who read beautifully crafted words from a Teleprompter after his victory in Iowa, or the tediously angry liberal who improvised in Virginia?

I think we already know!
Johnny, do you know what plagerism is? You should be honest enough with yourself and every other poster here and include the source of the article that you copied this from.

It can be found here.

You may also be interested in going here, which notes that the portions you (and by you I mean Dean Barnett) quoted of Obama "improv-ing" and thus showing him to be such an angry liberal lunatic, have been part of his standard stump speech for months.

And apparently the idea that this shows him to be a raving lunatic isn't shared by many, as Obama recieved more votes in the potomac primaries as the Republican candidates had combined.

Last edited by jdiddy; 02-13-2008 at 10:09 AM..

Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Why are you Hillary Giuliani people so doggone desparate? After all, you have the luxury of losing badly in every region of the country; and by losing your front-runner status.

Clearly you've got Barack right where you want him. So why the bush league tactics?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Wow people, whine more. This mudslinging makes me wonder if some of you ever graduated from the 1st grade playground. Pathetic.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
At this point all the candidate's speeches suck because they've been getting 4 hours of sleep the past 4 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections