Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:52 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,446,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I too wish they would, but only if it were totally objective and that is pretty hard in Hollywood. BTW, O'Reilly's book is just that from what I have heard. I still need to read it.
When people say I want it to be objective, what their really saying is that they want it to align up with their point of view.

Case in point: The HBO movie on Truman. It showed him empathetic to the plight of jews and a chat with his jewish friend helped convince Truman that America should support the creation of Israel.

But if you read Truman's diary, he hated the jews and called them selfish people. Truman didn't want to create Israel but was forced to at the time.

A movie about Reagan would be hard to make because he really was an idiot who slept in meetings, drew doodles, was incredibly ignorant on basic civics and had no deeper understanding of any issue. Lou Cannon's 1000 page book talks about how Reagans staff had to keep all memos 1 page otherwise Reagan would not read them because he was so lazy. There's a reason Tip O Neil called him the laziest president he ever worked with.

Reagan's entire presidency is like a movie...it was all an enjoable illusion

Old 04-30-2016, 10:48 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
I just read this morning Farrell has cancelled the project. He said it never went beyond a first consideration stage anyway.

Hollywood kicks around bad ideas every day. Apparently this one was just another bad idea that never got off the ground.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:55 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,921,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I just read this morning Farrell has cancelled the project. He said it never went beyond a first consideration stage anyway.

Hollywood kicks around bad ideas every day. Apparently this one was just another bad idea that never got off the ground.
Jeez conservatives and their political correctness and their need for safe spaces...a bunch of sensitive nancies

Old 04-30-2016, 01:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
When people say I want it to be objective, what their really saying is that they want it to align up with their point of view.

Case in point: The HBO movie on Truman. It showed him empathetic to the plight of jews and a chat with his jewish friend helped convince Truman that America should support the creation of Israel.

But if you read Truman's diary, he hated the jews and called them selfish people. Truman didn't want to create Israel but was forced to at the time.

A movie about Reagan would be hard to make because he really was an idiot who slept in meetings, drew doodles, was incredibly ignorant on basic civics and had no deeper understanding of any issue. Lou Cannon's 1000 page book talks about how Reagans staff had to keep all memos 1 page otherwise Reagan would not read them because he was so lazy. There's a reason Tip O Neil called him the laziest president he ever worked with.

Reagan's entire presidency is like a movie...it was all an enjoable illusion
Let me ask you: how many of his meetings did you attend? What do you really know about Lou Cannon? I can guarantee you, I may not be the brightest bulb in the light fixture, but I know a lot more about Reagan and what he and didn't do than you could ever hope to know. It is one thing to read about something, another to actually experience it.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:29 PM

17,825 posts, read 13,738,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Really? Can you give me a list of conservative entertainers that have produced exploitive entertainment on issues that are not politically correct and insensitive? This is a serious question.
I'm talking about regular people. Not necessarily entertainers. I read a stat once (sorry I can't like it) but it said that 80% of white people don't believe that racism is a real issue, while 80% of black people think that it is. Within their own experience both groups are influenced by what they are around.

I raised a black kid who came from the bad part of town in a white community and neighborhood. I've been able to observe and been a part of incidents that I consider both racism and racial profiling that I never would have seen or experienced had I not had that experience.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:41 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,446,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let me ask you: how many of his meetings did you attend? What do you really know about Lou Cannon? I can guarantee you, I may not be the brightest bulb in the light fixture, but I know a lot more about Reagan and what he and didn't do than you could ever hope to know. It is one thing to read about something, another to actually experience it.
You sound like every other Republican who goes ape when someone dosent say good things about Reagan. Lou Cannon has written 5 books about Reagan and worked for him starting when he was governor of CA. I'm pretty sure that a biographer whos known Ronald Reagan for 20 years BEFORE he became president and then worked for him WHILE he was president knows a hell of alot more than you.

Also, Lou Cannon was and still is a big supporter of Reagan but he never shied away from writing about Reagan's negatives

Anyway, I think Gerlad Ford sums it up best:

“A superficial, disengaged, intellectually-lazy showman who didn’t do his homework and clung to a naive, unrealistic, and essentially dangerous worldview. Foreign leaders have said they were appalled by Reagan’s lack of knowledge of the issues.” - President Gerald R. Ford speaking about President Ronald Reagan

Old 04-30-2016, 04:44 PM

45,477 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
God almighty, Dennis Miller wouldn't have a career if he wasn't regurgitating insensitive conservative material.
(and for the record, before he went nuts and over to the dark side I thought he was one of the brightest, sharpest on-point comedians of the day. I was genuinely sad when he flushed it all away as it plainly appears)

Translation:

I liked him when I didn't know his politics or thought he was a liberal. I don't like him now because I now know his politics.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:30 PM

7,829 posts, read 4,576,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Translation:

I liked him when I didn't know his politics or thought he was a liberal. I don't like him now because I now know his politics.
Better translation:
I liked him when he was able to bring the funny without the politics at all.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:39 PM

25,856 posts, read 16,558,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Anyone else find it suspicious they are making a movie to make Reagan look like an idiot when Trump is often compared to him? How could the establishment be so stupid to not know that every attack they make is extremely obvious and lets the american people know the extent of which they are capable of? It's incredible to watch the empire crumbling.
I think Hollywood had been corrupted by communists and ultra-liberals. We need McCarthy level investigations to root out and imprison anti-Americans after Trump wins.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:50 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,985,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Jeez conservatives and their political correctness and their need for safe spaces...a bunch of sensitive nancies
Nobody's calling for money from taxpayers to illegalize its production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections