Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:17 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
You would think eventually...people would see that there's very little difference in either establishment party these days.

Yet, you still have republican voters...voting for republicans, because they think they'll reverse Roe v. Wade. Ahem, it was decided in 1973. 1973! No republican has had it reversed since...and it's not going to ever be reversed. Sigh...there's plenty of other examples, for both sides...but that was the most recent one that I've encountered.
And there are still Democrats voting to "protect women's reproductive rights." Fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
I don't agree that Obama's presidency has been a failure. Was it great? No, not especially. Was it bad? No, not at all. He was pretty typical. He's made mistakes, as they all do, and he's done some good. I'm personally predicting that we're all going to miss Obama quite a lot when either Trump or Clinton step up to the podium.

As for Bernie Sanders, it's not the same at all. No one really knew who Obama was and they thought 'why not?' Did he accomplish his goals of hope and change? As a whole, no. At a personal level, he did a decent job of not being overly corrupt. Compared to many politicians, Obama is actually fairly trust worthy. But, back to Sanders, we know enough about him and he's held the same positions for decades and acts on them consistently. It's not a guarantee that he'll accomplish all of his goals; he'd be the president, not a king. But he'd give it more that Obama did, most likely.

Maybe it is naive idealism, but can anything different be said about those who think Trump is any different? Him not being a politician does not change the reality that he's a decent (not great, as he proclaims) businessman, with an inflated ego, as well as being a habitual liar. Frankly, I half the time have no idea where he stands on most issues, and this isn't because I'm too lazy to read but because his opinion can change within hours. People can change their minds, that's fine, but everything he says, he proclaims is truthful, and his followers blindly assume this is the case. He estimated his wall would cost, at most $12 billion. Others who have looked in have given a conservative estimate of $20 billion, not including the cost of maintenance or the possibility of needing to buy the land from private land owners. And he's going to make Mexico pay for it because we have a trade deficit with Mexico, even though that's not how economics works. The deficit is not with the Mexican government, it's with private companies in Mexico. And either way, there's no feasible way he could make either pay for a $20 billion+ construction project that would likely do little to prevent illegal immigration, since most illegal immigrants actually arrive legally and simply overstay their visa.

I assure you, there may be unrealistic idealism within the Sanders camp, and in fact, I'm sure there is, but nothing screams unrealistic idealism more than a Donald Trump supporter, who, if by an act of God, win will likely ensure a Democratic president in 4 years, since there's no way he's staying for 8.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I understand now.

I don't see the appeal of Sanders. At the end of the day, his economic policies are government sanctioned theft of other peoples' income for his own social engineering. His most ardent supporters would suffer quite dramatically were his policies implemented.
Are you paying your fair share of the wars? Or are you like so many others, leaving it for your kids to pay for?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:27 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Union friendly legislation is exactly what we need. It's is single handedly the most effective bargaining tool for working people and the middle class.

The deck is stacked so hard against workers it's scary.
Not at the public sector level. If you're living in Texas, there's no way you'd have no state income tax if the public sector unions were able to run roughshod over the citizens the way they do here in NY. I'm paying 10% of my income in state and local taxes on a very modest income here in NYC with top earners paying 13%.

I don't think private sector unions are beneficial either (think GM), but at least we're not forced to patronize companies that use public sector unions the way we're forced to pay higher taxes to pay for public sector union workers.

The reason there aren't many good jobs is that there the US is now a horrible place to do business based on taxes, regulations, labor laws, litigation risk, and other factors. Unionizing more workers would increase the cost of labor which would reduce the supply of labor and increase the price of goods/services produced by the unionized workers. There is no way around this.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:28 PM

1,743 posts, read 960,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I dunno, how many 10-12 year old children attend political rallies?

re your post in general: Obama easily won re-election in 2012 and right now has a higher approval rating than most previous Presidents at the same point in their terms.
Whether he's "successful" or not is debatable, depending upon one's definition of success. But your attempt to paint him as massively unpopular is a fail. Especially so when comparing him to someone who won't even win the party nomination.
I am not trying to paint him as massively unpopular. What I am saying, is that after 8 years of Reagan, all the Republican candidates ran as "Reagan Republicans". George Bush tried to paint himself off as a Reagan follower. None of the Republicans ran against Reagan or his policies, but that is exactly what both Sanders and Hillary are doing to Obama. If one didn't know better, to listen to both Hillary and Sanders, one would think we have just been living under 8 years of Republican hell.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:29 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Are you paying your fair share of the wars? Or are you like so many others, leaving it for your kids to pay for?
I don't have kids but, if you do, they won't have much of a future if we continue down this path.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I am not trying to paint him as massively unpopular. What I am saying, is that after 8 years of Reagan, all the Republican candidates ran as "Reagan Republicans". George Bush tried to paint himself off as a Reagan follower. None of the Republicans ran against Reagan or his policies, but that is exactly what both Sanders and Hillary are doing to Obama. If one didn't know better, to listen to both Hillary and Sanders, one would think we have just been living under 8 years of Republican hell.
Sanders is running against Obamacare. Sanders is running against Obama's wars. Sanders is running against Obama's catering to Wall Street.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:31 PM

1,743 posts, read 960,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
You would think eventually...people would see that there's very little difference in either establishment party these days.

Yet, you still have republican voters...voting for republicans, because they think they'll reverse Roe v. Wade. Ahem, it was decided in 1973. 1973! No republican has had it reversed since...and it's not going to ever be reversed. Sigh...there's plenty of other examples, for both sides...but that was the most recent one that I've encountered.
I agree with you 100%. I am an Independent voter, so I don't feel loyalty to either party.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I don't have kids but, if you do, they won't have much of a future if we continue down this path.
So you are voting for someone that won't put us further in debt with the wars?

I'd rather see the kids get an education than shipped off to war.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:41 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
Quote:
Not at the public sector level. If you're living in Texas, there's no way you'd have no state income tax if the public sector unions were able to run roughshod over the citizens the way they do here in NY. I'm paying 10% of my income in state and local taxes on a very modest income here in NYC with top earners paying 13%.

I don't think private sector unions are beneficial either (think GM), but at least we're not forced to patronize companies that use public sector unions the way we're forced to pay higher taxes to pay for public sector union workers.

The reason there aren't many good jobs is that there the US is now a horrible place to do business based on taxes, regulations, labor laws, litigation risk, and other factors. Unionizing more workers would increase the cost of labor which would reduce the supply of labor and increase the price of goods/services produced by the unionized workers. There is no way around this.
So what you're saying is, countries with strong labor unions can't be competitive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections