Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:51 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I would have voted for any of the other republican candidates over Hillary Clinton. Donald Trump is the one person on earth that could make me vote for Hillary.

This is my personal opinion - if your number one issue is that Trump can never be allowed to be president, you should vote for Hillary. If your number one issue is that both of these candidates are unacceptable, you should vote 3rd party. Personally, I believe both candidates are unacceptable, but even more important than that, I believe Trump must never be allowed to be president.
Perhaps my view is cynical, but this really only matters if you live in a swing state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 12:52 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Unless it's Hillary Clinton

Old 05-20-2016, 11:07 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,990,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
.....categorically refuse to vote for Trump (since I believe that the biggest bloc of Republicans who will fight our GOP nominee is made up of Cruz supporters):

As a guy who donated to Cruz and would have been pretty happy with him as the nominee, all that I (and many, many others) can say to YOU folks is, s*rew you. Your mindless petulance is disgusting.
So you expect those who supported this man: Ted Cruz News Conference Douglas Arizona | Video | C-SPAN.org & Ted Cruz and Two Horrendous Murders | Education News , to now vote for this man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZcuWba_HgU ?

It isn't sour grapes keeping people from supporting Trump, it's that he's a disgusting human being who happens to be a pathological liar. Even after mocking a disabled reporter he later claimed he didn't and would never do such a thing.

It's sad that so many have been duped by Trump. I don't believe they realize how dishonest the man is, and how false his campaign promises will prove to be. You Trumpeteers had a chance to support one of the two greatest candidates for President since at least the 70's and you blew it by instead supporting one of the worst ever. Now you expect former Cruz supporters to support him? Not happening for many of us. And I even considered it, but just can't do it. The ONLY hope Donald has is by offering the VP slot to Cruz, playing on Cruz' love for the country. At least then people like me would know he would have access to great counsel and that a great VP would be a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

So all you Trumpeteers that viciously attacked Cruz supporters, much as you saw Donald viciously attack Cruz with lies, you have a lot of bridge building to do. Your offensive comments are definitely not the way to do so. I've had posts deleted for much less, inappropriately I might add.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:20 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,844,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Ted Cruz was a crackpot. I don't think he'll be re-elected as Senator in TX either.

"Kill the gays" Cruz, ah, no! Let it go. The man is a kook and 99.9% of the people can't stand him!
Yet, you want "Kill the gays" Trump as your president. Hypocrite must be the favorite word of Donald's fan base.

Moderator cut: no manual signatures, please

Last edited by Marka; 05-22-2016 at 02:28 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 11:22 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,338,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtHansen View Post
So are you not going to vote, waste your vote on a third party challenger to Trump, or vote for the dim?
We can't, on the one hand, criticize people for blindly supporting Democrats (a fair criticism) and at the same time, criticize people for not blindly falling in line to support Trump.

Most Cruz supporters, I'd imagine, would argue that Trump is better (or less bad) than Clinton. That doesn't mean we're obligated to support him. With a gun to my head, I'd support Trump over Clinton but there are other options besides death, one of which is not voting.

Trump can win over Cruz supporters and many others between now and election day. He took a good step earlier in the week with his release of potential SCOTUS nominees. This was a huge step, not so much b/c it proved Trump is conservative but it showed that he is willing to trust the right advisors and third parties when that is the right approach.

Instead of trashing Cruz supporters, maybe you can start by asking what our concerns are and what can be done to get us onboard (the Trump Train).

Old 05-20-2016, 11:35 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,912,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
So you expect those who supported this man: Ted Cruz News Conference Douglas Arizona | Video | C-SPAN.org & Ted Cruz and Two Horrendous Murders | Education News , to now vote for this man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZcuWba_HgU ?

It isn't sour grapes keeping people from supporting Trump, it's that he's a disgusting human being who happens to be a pathological liar. Even after mocking a disabled reporter he later claimed he didn't and would never do such a thing.

It's sad that so many have been duped by Trump. I don't believe they realize how dishonest the man is, and how false his campaign promises will prove to be. You Trumpeteers had a chance to support one of the two greatest candidates for President since at least the 70's and you blew it by instead supporting one of the worst ever. Now you expect former Cruz supporters to support him? Not happening for many of us. And I even considered it, but just can't do it. The ONLY hope Donald has is by offering the VP slot to Cruz, playing on Cruz' love for the country. At least then people like me would know he would have access to great counsel and that a great VP would be a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

So all you Trumpeteers that viciously attacked Cruz supporters, much as you saw Donald viciously attack Cruz with lies, you have a lot of bridge building to do. Your offensive comments are definitely not the way to do so. I've had posts deleted for much less, inappropriately I might add.
You see, that kind of myopia, solipsism and being self-possessed is what drove me from Cruz to Trump.
Trump's a clown, fair enough. But he has potential up sides. So doesn't Cruz.
Both would PROBABLY be a good nominee.
You Cruz guys and gals have a slight tendency to do the cult worship thing. Remember: Cruz is a LAWYER and POLITICIAN (a member of the most exlusive political clique in the world, in fact). It's as if those facts don't even matter to you.
You guys are completely unable to see beyond your filters. And you act like this is your first election ever.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
We can't, on the one hand, criticize people for blindly supporting Democrats (a fair criticism) and at the same time, criticize people for not blindly falling in line to support Trump.

Most Cruz supporters, I'd imagine, would argue that Trump is better (or less bad) than Clinton. That doesn't mean we're obligated to support him. With a gun to my head, I'd support Trump over Clinton but there are other options besides death, one of which is not voting.

Trump can win over Cruz supporters and many others between now and election day. He took a good step earlier in the week with his release of potential SCOTUS nominees. This was a huge step, not so much b/c it proved Trump is conservative but it showed that he is willing to trust the right advisors and third parties when that is the right approach.

Instead of trashing Cruz supporters, maybe you can start by asking what our concerns are and what can be done to get us onboard (the Trump Train).
Why do you say "blindly falling in line to support Trump"?? Why not say, "looking at the two choices left and deciding that Trump is PROBABLY better"??
Why do you spin it so??
Seems a bit phony.

Oh, and I already KNOW what the concerns of Cruz people are. Most of my political buddies voted for him. I donated to him.
And this is what gets me: most Cruz people essentially say this (over and over): "out of MY top ten concerns, there are no more than one or two which would also be found on the list of top ten concerns of Trump and his supporters...........so DIE, Donald!!"
It makes absolutely no sense, because it is flat out false. Like, comically false.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I guess anyone is a Rhino if the don't want to kill gays.
Donald invited a "Kill the Gays" pastor to provide the invocation at his Florida rally and then was "HONORED" by the endorsement of that "kill the gays" pastor. So apparently, Donald's supporters are all good with "killing the gays" as long as their idol is involved with a "kill the gays" pastor. It's only a problem because Cruz merely attended a campaign stop with Bobby Jindal and Mike Huckabee where a "kill the gays" pastor also appeared.

Apparently, being endorsed by and inviting a "kill the gays" pastor to speak at your rally is less offensive to Donald's supporters then attending the same venue as a "kill the gays" pastor and publicly denouncing said speaker.

I choose not to parse their hypocrisy, instead, I rely on it to support my decision not to vote for their idol.

#NeverTrump endorsed by the "kill the gays" pastor invited by Donald to give the invocation at Donald's Florida rally!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Donald invited a "Kill the Gays" pastor to provide the invocation at his Florida rally and then was "HONORED" by the endorsement of that "kill the gays" pastor. So apparently, Donald's supporters are all good with "killing the gays" as long as their idol is involved with a "kill the gays" pastor. It's only a problem because Cruz merely attended a campaign stop with Bobby Jindal and Mike Huckabee where a "kill the gays" pastor also appeared.

Apparently, being endorsed by and inviting a "kill the gays" pastor to speak at your rally is less offensive to Donald's supporters then attending the same venue as a "kill the gays" pastor and publicly denouncing said speaker.

I choose not to parse their hypocrisy, instead, I rely on it to support my decision not to vote for their idol.

#NeverTrump endorsed by the "kill the gays" pastor invited by Donald to give the invocation at Donald's Florida rally!
But so didn't Cruz.
So there is THAT.......

Old 05-20-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
You see, that kind of myopia, solipsism and being self-possessed is what drove me from Cruz to Trump.
Trump's a clown, fair enough. But he has potential up sides. So doesn't Cruz.
Both would PROBABLY be a good nominee.
You Cruz guys and gals have a slight tendency to do the cult worship thing. Remember: Cruz is a LAWYER and POLITICIAN (a member of the most exlusive political clique in the world, in fact). It's as if those facts don't even matter to you.
You guys are completely unable to see beyond your filters. And you act like this is your first election ever.
I have no issue with Cruz being either a Lawyer or a Politician as the only way to obtain a seat in Congress or the presidency is to "be a politician." What you seem to ignore is that Cruz is not a "life long politician" and has a history of fighting for constitutional rights. You also seem to ignore the reality that Cruz went to DC and WENT against the EXTABLISHMENT to uphold his promises to his constituents (which is why he is so disliked BY the establishment in the first place). What you seem to ignore is that Cruz has always followed the Constitutional principles of governing when voting in DC and that he understands the mechanisms by which legislation is enacted.

I do not worship Cruz nor anyone else on this mortal plane. To do so would lead me to idol worship like that seen in the Donald camp. No thank you!

Moderator cut: no manual signatures, please

Last edited by Marka; 05-22-2016 at 02:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections