Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:38 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,345,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Does anyone else agree that Trump has a presidential feel?

Yes, and no.

Yes, in the current U.S. where too many people are attracted to bluster, desperate to find someone to blame for their own miserable lot in life (other than themselves), and more than willing to embrace hatred of people who do not look like themselves, those people see in Trump an accurate reflection of their own shortcomings as human beings. Ironically, many probably think of themselves as good Christians.

No, because to be seriously considered "Presidential material" by serious citizens, an individual must show a solid understanding of both national & international affairs; must be familiar with - at a minimum - the basic concepts covered in second-grade Civics; and must have a vision for the future which enriches the lives of ALL the citizens of this great country.

In today's dumbed-down society, where "reality" TV shows and FOX "News" are both considered to be real, people are easily duped into believing a carny like Trump. He appeals to people consumed by fear and prejudice, and Lord knows this country's got plenty of them.

Could Trump win the Presidency? Absolutely.

Would this be a good thing for this country? Absolutely not.
I'm on the fence about Trump, but I think the dumbed-down people are the ones who watch MSNBC's biased "news" and vote Democratic because they think the Democratic candidates actually care about them. They care about your VOTE; they don't care about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 11:40 AM

13,560 posts, read 10,408,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I'm on the fence about Trump, but I think the dumbed-down people are the ones who watch MSNBC's biased "news" and vote Democratic because they think the Democratic candidates actually care about them. They care about your VOTE; they don't care about you.
And you think Trump isn't any different?

We have a bridge over the East River for sale.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:41 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,311,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Lol, yanno, I find it kind of ironic that this Trump guy is supposed to make the lives of his voters' so much better with little extra effort on their part. But I guess that's easier than taking steps to improve their own personal and professional life, like improving their own/learning a new skill set, adapting to change, or whatever it takes to make themselves more marketable.

Isn't this the same argument against Obama and Hillary? That they are going to make their lives better without any harder work involved on their part?

I guess there are people like you and I who don't let whoever is POTUS determine how hard we work or how successful we'll be in life.

Frankly, that's why the comment confused me. It seems those are the things that certain people judge "all liberals" for.

I stand by my assertion that Trump's entire campaign is based on platitudes and no real substance.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:55 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,995,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Frankly, that's why the comment confused me. It seems those are the things that certain people judge "all liberals" for.

I stand by my assertion that Trump's entire campaign is based on platitudes and no real substance.
There is real substance, just not substance that really helps the middle class. All of Dishonest Donald's proposals enrich the rich at the expense of working people. His tax policy, health care policy, etc., all work against the middle class while slashing regulations on business and lowering taxes on billionaires. Substantively, he's no different than the Romney policies. He's just Romney in a different package and the masses fall for the "New Improved" label with a populist marketing campaign.

Regarding the OP's topic name, I have no idea what "presidential feel" is. I vote for candidates that support policies that I judge to be sound. If the candidate also has a track record of supporting similar policies, that's a plus. Clinton has a long track record of supporting progressive policies (higher min.wage; health care reform; fin. industry reform, etc.) and Dishonest Donald has a track record of enriching himself with no evidence of concern for the public at large. He is also woefully ignorant on both domestic and foreign policy.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:56 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,683,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Gee...You just described Obama!
LOL, not even close!

Does Obama engage in petty Twitter wars?

Does Obama make up derogatory nicknames for everyone he doesn't like?

Does Obama sue everyone who hurts his feelings?

It's funny, there is only one different letter in the words 'class' and 'crass'. But that one letter makes a world of difference.

Obama has class.
Trump is crass.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:04 PM

22,540 posts, read 12,121,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
LOL, not even close!

Does Obama engage in petty Twitter wars?

Does Obama make up derogatory nicknames for everyone he doesn't like?

Does Obama sue everyone who hurts his feelings?

It's funny, there is only one different letter in the words 'class' and 'crass'. But that one letter makes a world of difference.

Obama has class.
Trump is crass.
Let's see---Obama thinks nothing about dictating amnesty and work permits for DREAMers, when they should have been deported.

He has sued states who make immigration laws that mirror federal laws while at the same time allows jurisdictions to be in violation of federal immigration laws and call themselves sanctuaries for illegals.

He has ordered ICE and the Border Patrol to basically stop doing their jobs to the point that employees are demoralized.

He dictated DAPA and when the 5th Circuit issued an injunction to stop him from giving amnesty to parents of anchor babies, he ignored it and kept the program going. Good thing that the 5th Circuit Court saw what was happening and stepped in.

He is a petulant child when he doesn't get his way and behaves like he is a dictator or king. The man has no class.

If you deny that any of the above has happened, I suggest you spend some time googling.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:07 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,196,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There is real substance, just not substance that really helps the middle class. All of Dishonest Donald's proposals enrich the rich at the expense of working people. His tax policy, health care policy, etc., all work against the middle class while slashing regulations on business and lowering taxes on billionaires. Substantively, he's no different than the Romney policies. He's just Romney in a different package and the masses fall for the "New Improved" label with a populist marketing campaign.

Regarding the OP's topic name, I have no idea what "presidential feel" is. I vote for candidates that support policies that I judge to be sound. If the candidate also has a track record of supporting similar policies, that's a plus. Clinton has a long track record of supporting progressive policies (higher min.wage; health care reform; fin. industry reform, etc.) and Dishonest Donald has a track record of enriching himself with no evidence of concern for the public at large. He is also woefully ignorant on both domestic and foreign policy.
This post should probably be a sticky, at least the first paragraph.

Sure, America might be less "brown" 8 years from now, but chances are, things will relatively be the same.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:25 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,683,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
He is a petulant child when he doesn't get his way and behaves like he is a dictator or king. The man has no class.
Gee...you just described Trump!

Old 05-30-2016, 12:36 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,995,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yes, Democratic candidates care about getting votes, so they support policies that make worker's lives better (raising the minimum wage; providing health insurance; laws that discourage outsourcing jobs overseas, pro-unionism etc.)

This is opposed to GOP candidates (including Dishonest Donald) who say they are for the working class, then propose policies that benefit the rich at the expense of the working class. (i.e. "wages are too high;" a tax plan that slashes taxes on the rich; returns to the pre-ACA days, etc.)

Old 05-30-2016, 12:36 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,451,669 times
Trump has that used car salesman feel if anything

Just looking at him makes me want to buy a 1989 cadillac with dice hanging in the mirror
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections