Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:12 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,801,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Yeah, Arkansas, one of the least populated states in the country.
After having a few failed businesses, Bush was the governor of Texas - a state where the governor has very fewer powers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM

316 posts, read 596,559 times
Smile Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Whew, Rabbi! Let me just say that I'm happy for you that you've found your redeemer.
To be honest, No. Just the most inspirational Democrat since RFK! The most inspirational in todays lineup...

Stay focused on the visible. Assumptions can be very deceiving!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:30 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,873,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
To be honest, No. Just the most inspirational Democrat since RFK! The most inspirational in todays lineup...

Stay focused on the visible. Assumptions can be very deceiving!
Obama's hot air rhetoric is far from inspirational. It's a "load of hogwash" to use an old southern country term. A big lie to get elected. Obama is full of himself and full of hot air. I'm amazed so many are joining his cult.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:47 PM

580 posts, read 1,682,128 times
I have no clue if I want Obama or Hillary Clinton to win the election. Many say he doesnt have experience to run the country, and yet Hillary does. Although there is a first time for everything, but I guess you have to start your first time somewhere and not just anywhere. Maybe he does have the experience, but if he dont I will be afraid for him to sit in the white house behind the desk signing off contracts.... forums.... and agreements from the United States. So when it comes to the President of the United States, and this is politics.... to a point experience does matter. Does he have the experience I dont know, does Hillary.... maybe. Who do I want to win? I dont know.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:17 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,402,144 times
Exclamation Ummm...NOT!

Quote:
If you really listen to Obama's speeches you'll recognize something very familiar. And I'm not referring to specific phrasing that he may or may not have borrowed from other speakers. Rather you need to listen to the cadences of his delivery and, in particular, his themes. When you do you'll begin to discern the real influences on his oratory and his thought.

In the first instance his speaking style, the sing song cadences, reveal a man steeped in the oratory of the Black pulpit and the black political leaders of the civil rights era and, later, the likes of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Julian Bond, Harry Belafonte and even Louis Farrakhan. That's to be expected. These are the mythic figures of the African-American community and one would expect that a young man aspiring to political leadership in his community and beyond would look to such figures to pattern his speaking style upon.

But Obama has picked up more than the speaking style of these sometime polarizing figures. He has also adopted their way of seeing American society. For a Jackson or a Sharpton or a Farrakhan there really are Two Americas (the theme that John Edwards tried but could not successfully sell).
There is the America of the victims and the America of the victimizers. And the victims are powerless unless government comes to their rescue. As evidence of that look at the response of the people of New Orleans to Hurricane Katrina. It wasn't enough that they were victims of a natural disaster. They had to cast about for victimizers to explain their plight and, of course, the ideal victimizers was the Bush administration which was actually accused of blowing up the levies to flood the neighborhoods of New Orleans' poor and, largely, Black citizens. Unfortunately victimization ends up a self-fulfilling prophecy and, in fact, the "victims" of Katrina have been unable to help themselves in any meaningful way. They are still waiting for government to ride to their rescue.

Victimization is Obama's over-riding theme. And although he talks about "The Audacity of Hope" the victim theme is actually pretty grim. Listen carefully as he runs through his catalogue of woes. At the end of it one would be forgiven if he felt beaten down by life. But wait! Obama offers hope. The government will reverse all this misery and make your life meaningful, prosperous and fulfilled. And it will do that by crushing the victimizers and wrest from them their ill-gotten gain and distribute it to the lowly. Life will be beautiful.

Black people have been listening to this message for at least two generations. And they're no better off than before. If anything they are worse off. Now Obama is trying to peddle this wretched message to a broader constituency and many are buying into it. And that's scary.

Obama has been compared to Reagan in his ability to inspire. There is no comparison. Reagan inspired people to believe in themselves. Obama inspires people to believe in government.
Obama sounds nothing like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton...obviously you think all black men sound a like. The reason he is winning in mostly WHITE states is proof of this. You're sadly misguided and obviously stuck in the first half of the 20th Century if you feel that just because he is half-black that he is somehow destined to be like the Civil Rights Leaders of yesteryear.

Please do not attempt to profess about black people. Many are way better off than two and three generations ago, and it's not because they listened to Al and Jesse as you so wrongly believe. It's because they DON"T listen to them. This is a sad and poor comparison that shows you're complete lack of understanding of what the world has become. Most people don't think of race the way it was thought of decades ago...the few that do are just like you, lost in the woods looking for a trail that has been grown over for years!

Furthermore, why would Caroline Kennedy endorse Obama, stating that he reminds her of her father, if your so-called "analysis" were true? You need to listen my friend. He sounds nothing like the leeches who have been living off of the dried up visions of the Civil Rights Movement of the 50's and 60's and preying on the poor who often do not think for themselves.

Please...give me a break!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 PM

Default It ain't over till it's over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You're right.

Obama's done. Look for Hillary to sweep.
Old Gringo...you're only ONE vote.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,900 times
Quote:
I think you just made my point. Victimizers = Bush, Republicans, special interests, lobbyists, Halliburton, credit card companies, oil industry, pharmaceutical companies. Victims = most Americans. I think I am like "most Americans." But I don't feel like a victim or a victimizer. I work to support my family. We have a roof over our heads, food in the cupboard, clothes on our backs, medical insurance.
You know, maybe you don't mind offering up your sons and daughters, not to mention the debt you, your children, your grandchildren, and your great-grandchildren will have to pay, to make Halliburton, Bush, and Co. even richer, but most of the rest of us DO mind....and it doesn't make us victims unless we lie down and take it. It DOES make that bunch unpatriotic thugs that SEEK to victimize us and counts on our remaining blind to their lies while they steal the last of our rights and destroy the last remaining shreds of our constitution.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:34 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,881,310 times
JimMe you nailed it completely! Good job!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:20 PM

654 posts, read 1,211,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Obama's hot air rhetoric is far from inspirational. It's a "load of hogwash" to use an old southern country term. A big lie to get elected. Obama is full of himself and full of hot air. I'm amazed so many are joining his cult.

Same here. I wonder if any of the Obama worshippers here, or anywhere, can point to a single accomplishment that he has that shows that he is suited to be the leader of the world's number one military and economic power.

Or are they such mindless sheep that they are following this man simply because of the tone and cadence of his voice as he reads prepared remarks off of a piece of paper?

Come on Obama supporters! What exactly has this man accomplished?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
Same here. I wonder if any of the Obama worshippers here, or anywhere, can point to a single accomplishment that he has that shows that he is suited to be the leader of the world's number one military and economic power.

Or are they such mindless sheep that they are following this man simply because of the tone and cadence of his voice as he reads prepared remarks off of a piece of paper?

Come on Obama supporters! What exactly has this man accomplished?
What did Bush accomplish? All of his businesses failed and he only won Governor in TX because of his daddy's name, yet; he won TWO presidential terms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections