Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 10:35 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,404,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed and many "Latinos" ARE "white" and self ID as anglo white, even some of the Indian mixes.
Look, you can keep deluding yourself with this silly little game of blurring ethnic distinctions or lovely "contrarian anecdotes" - but Latinos are a significant voting bloc in several swing states, much to your displeasure and contrary to your dogma, such as Nevada and Colorado. And even in Florida, where there are a lot of Cuban Americans who often lean Republican (but are not as much anymore), Trump has high unfavorables.

And who is to say that these so-called "white Latinos" are necessarily going to vote for Republicans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 12:25 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,704,406 times
Default taking credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Def a real good question about JFK in 1960. Def weirder since word was Ike was well liked yet Kennedy bagged the election. Hispanics in 1960: they were counted as "white" and; were pretty rare, even those of Mexican family.
The 1960 election was a first on many grounds. It was the first time in a century that the incumbent Vice President (Nixon) ran for office, something which has proven to be almost normal since. It was the first election of the Imperial Presidency (i.e. since 1888) that was extremely close popular vote with JFK having 34,220,984 votes and Nixon getting 34,108,157.

In a super close election, nearly anyone can claim to be the one that pushed the candidate over the top. Since most Latinos were Catholic, and the anti-Catholic voice was very strong, the Catholic vote can be seen as the necessary vote to win the election. Never mind that they were estimated at less than 4% of the population in 1960, and were not considered important enough to count in the census.

Probably you could say that JFK won the election because of women who had sexual fantasies about him, and you would be accurate.

Many analyst view Ralph Nader as a spoiler in the 2000 election. He had almost 3 million votes, whereas Al Gore had half a million more votes than GW Bush, and Bush won. Without Nader running, Gore would have certainly won some other states, like New Hampshire.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:28 AM

17,406 posts, read 11,393,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The 1960 election was a first on many grounds. It was the first time in a century that the incumbent Vice President (Nixon) ran for office, something which has proven to be almost normal since. It was the first election of the Imperial Presidency (i.e. since 1888) that was extremely close popular vote with JFK having 34,220,984 votes and Nixon getting 34,108,157.

In a super close election, nearly anyone can claim to be the one that pushed the candidate over the top. Since most Latinos were Catholic, and the anti-Catholic voice was very strong, the Catholic vote can be seen as the necessary vote to win the election. Never mind that they were estimated at less than 4% of the population in 1960, and were not considered important enough to count in the census.

Probably you could say that JFK won the election because of women who had sexual fantasies about him, and you would be accurate.

Many analyst view Ralph Nader as a spoiler in the 2000 election. He had almost 3 million votes, whereas Al Gore had half a million more votes than GW Bush, and Bush won. Without Nader running, Gore would have certainly won some other states, like New Hampshire.
I don't know where your numbers come from but Catholics have made up about 25 percent of the U.S. population for the last 50 years. The 4 percent you state is ridiculous even for 1960. They are and have been the largest percentage of any Christian denomination for a very long time in the U.S. Up until the 1970s, this was due to the huge number of Irish, Italian and Polish immigrants. Since the 1970s, it's because of the huge number of Hispanic immigrants.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know where your numbers come from but Catholics have made up about 25 percent of the U.S. population for the last 50 years.
I guess I wasn't clear. I meant to say that the Latin American immigrant population was about 4% in 1960.

Kennedy had nearly 80 percent of the Catholic vote, nationwide. However, he won 85 percent of the Mexican-American vote, which was almost entirely a subset of the Catholic vote. In Texas, where he lost the white vote, JFK won 91 percent of the Latino vote. So Mexican Americans felt like they delivered Texas, and hence the victory to JFK.

Jackie Kennedy probably delivered the first political commercial in Spanish.

The night before Kennedy’s fateful trip to Dallas he addressed the League of United Latin American Citizens, or LULAC. Kennedy's appearance at the Rice Ballroom in Houston is considered the first time that a sitting president officially acknowledged Latinos as an important voting bloc. "The crowd there was over capacity. When he walked into our banquet everybody went wild hollering 'Viva Kennedy Viva Kennedy'”.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:10 PM

17,406 posts, read 11,393,993 times
Quote:
I guess I wasn't clear. I meant to say that the Latin American immigrant population was about 4% in 1960.

Kennedy had nearly 80 percent of the Catholic vote, nationwide. However, he won 85 percent of the Mexican-American vote, which was almost entirely a subset of the Catholic vote. In Texas, where he lost the white vote, JFK won 91 percent of the Latino vote. So Mexican Americans felt like they delivered Texas, and hence the victory to JFK.

The night before Kennedy’s fateful trip to Dallas he addressed the League of United Latin American Citizens, or LULAC. Kennedy's appearance at the Rice Ballroom in Houston is considered the first time that a sitting president officially acknowledged Latinos as an important voting bloc. "The crowd there was over capacity. When he walked into our banquet everybody went wild hollering 'Viva Kennedy Viva Kennedy'”.
Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:19 PM

99,993 posts, read 4,510,259 times
Here's a link to the Bloomberg poll of college-educated voters:

Clinton Beats Trump Among College-Educated in Bloomberg Poll - Bloomberg Politics

Old 07-12-2016, 09:18 PM

63,284 posts, read 29,378,153 times
Quote:

Here's what I don't get. In order to become a citizen of this country you have to know English so why address any audience of citizens in a foreign language? Viva Kennedy? Sounds like they had no desire to assimilate to English either.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:43 AM

English is not the official language of the USA. We don't have an official language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
In order to become a citizen of this country you have to know English so why address any audience of citizens in a foreign language?
I don't think that is correct. I just took a practice test for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and I had the option to take it in Spanish.

The one question does seem kind of funny to ask you what the first three words are in the Constitution.
Las primeras tres palabras de la Constitución contienen la idea de la autodeterminación (de que el pueblo se gobierna a sí mismo). ¿Cuáles son estas palabras?

As the constitution was written in English, the Spanish translation is not really the correct answer

1. Nombre una rama o parte del gobierno.
el Congreso
2. Dé el nombre de la guerra entre el Norte y el Sur de los Estados Unidos.
la Guerra Civil
3. ¿Cómo se llama el actual Presidente de los Estados Unidos?
Barack Obama
4. ¿En qué consiste la libertad de religión?
Se puede practicar cualquier religión o no tener ninguna.
5. ¿A quiénes representa un senador de los Estados Unidos?
todas las personas del estado
6. ¿Quién escribió la Declaración de Independencia?
Thomas Jefferson
7. ¿De cuántos años es el término de elección de un representante de los Estados Unidos?
dos (2)
8. ¿Por qué lucharon los colonos contra los británicos?
todas las contestaciones anteriores
9. ¿Quién era presidente durante la Primera Guerra Mundial?
Woodrow Wilson
10. Dé el nombre de un territorio de los Estados Unidos.
Guam
11. ¿Qué es una enmienda?
una adición (a la Constitución)
12. ¿Cuál es el tribunal más alto de los Estados Unidos?
la Corte Suprema de Justicia
13. ¿Quién está a cargo de la rama ejecutiva?
el Presidente
14. ¿Cómo se llama el Presidente actual de la Cámara de Representantes?
Paul D. Ryan
15. ¿Quién era presidente durante la Gran Depresión y la Segunda Guerra Mundial?
Franklin Roosevelt
16. ¿Quién se conoce como el "Padre de Nuestra Nación"?
George Washington
17. ¿Cuáles son las dos partes que integran el Congreso de los Estados Unidos?
el Senado y la Cámara (de Representantes)
18. Las primeras tres palabras de la Constitución contienen la idea de la autodeterminación (de que el pueblo se gobierna a sí mismo). ¿Cuáles son estas palabras?
Nosotros el Pueblo
19. ¿Qué es lo que hace que una rama del gobierno no se vuelva demasiado poderosa?
pesos y contrapesos
20. ¿De cuántos años es el término de elección de un senador de los Estados Unidos?
seis (6)

Quote:
Viva Kennedy? Sounds like they had no desire to assimilate to English either.
Viva is now considered an English word since it has been used in English since the 1640s. Once the word is used in English speakers for a long time, it is considered an English word that has been borrowed.

rodeo has been used in English since 1834, so it now considered an English word, but it just happens to be borrowed from Spanish

Chaise lounge is a corruption of French phrase, but has been used in English since 1800. So now it is considered an English word.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:08 AM

63,284 posts, read 29,378,153 times
Quote:
English is not the official language of the USA. We don't have an official language.

I don't think that is correct. I just took a practice test for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and I had the option to take it in Spanish.

The one question does seem kind of funny to ask you what the first three words are in the Constitution.
Las primeras tres palabras de la Constitución contienen la idea de la autodeterminación (de que el pueblo se gobierna a sí mismo). ¿Cuáles son estas palabras?

As the constitution was written in English, the Spanish translation is not really the correct answer

1. Nombre una rama o parte del gobierno.
el Congreso
2. Dé el nombre de la guerra entre el Norte y el Sur de los Estados Unidos.
la Guerra Civil
3. ¿Cómo se llama el actual Presidente de los Estados Unidos?
Barack Obama
4. ¿En qué consiste la libertad de religión?
Se puede practicar cualquier religión o no tener ninguna.
5. ¿A quiénes representa un senador de los Estados Unidos?
todas las personas del estado
6. ¿Quién escribió la Declaración de Independencia?
Thomas Jefferson
7. ¿De cuántos años es el término de elección de un representante de los Estados Unidos?
dos (2)
8. ¿Por qué lucharon los colonos contra los británicos?
todas las contestaciones anteriores
9. ¿Quién era presidente durante la Primera Guerra Mundial?
Woodrow Wilson
10. Dé el nombre de un territorio de los Estados Unidos.
Guam
11. ¿Qué es una enmienda?
una adición (a la Constitución)
12. ¿Cuál es el tribunal más alto de los Estados Unidos?
la Corte Suprema de Justicia
13. ¿Quién está a cargo de la rama ejecutiva?
el Presidente
14. ¿Cómo se llama el Presidente actual de la Cámara de Representantes?
Paul D. Ryan
15. ¿Quién era presidente durante la Gran Depresión y la Segunda Guerra Mundial?
Franklin Roosevelt
16. ¿Quién se conoce como el "Padre de Nuestra Nación"?
George Washington
17. ¿Cuáles son las dos partes que integran el Congreso de los Estados Unidos?
el Senado y la Cámara (de Representantes)
18. Las primeras tres palabras de la Constitución contienen la idea de la autodeterminación (de que el pueblo se gobierna a sí mismo). ¿Cuáles son estas palabras?
Nosotros el Pueblo
19. ¿Qué es lo que hace que una rama del gobierno no se vuelva demasiado poderosa?
pesos y contrapesos
20. ¿De cuántos años es el término de elección de un senador de los Estados Unidos?
seis (6)

Viva is now considered an English word since it has been used in English since the 1640s. Once the word is used in English speakers for a long time, it is considered an English word that has been borrowed.

rodeo has been used in English since 1834, so it now considered an English word, but it just happens to be borrowed from Spanish

Chaise lounge is a corruption of French phrase, but has been used in English since 1800. So now it is considered an English word.
The only ones offered the citizenship test in Spanish are those over a certain age which is the elderly. Otherwise you have to know English to pass the test.

I don't know many non-Hispanic Americans that use the word "viva" and the word viva was spouted while addressing a Hispanic audience.

I never said that English is our "official" language but it is our national de facto language. It certainly should be made official though. The text of the Constitution is in English. There is no reason to and political candidate to address any "citizen" audience in a foreign language. Only citizens can vote and most know English.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:51 AM

25,827 posts, read 20,767,246 times
Quote:
Links, please. You don't think that white females vote? Overall, whites have the highest turnout at the polls in raw numbers. 2/3 of the voters are white including both male and female regardless of whom they vote for or what party they are affiliated with.

2016 electorate will be the most diverse in U.S. history | Pew Research Center
They do, and reliably.
That they have such a low opinion of Trump does not bode well.

"For the first time in modern elections, a majority of college-educated whites are backing the Democratic candidate for president. According to Pew’s June survey—a comprehensive look at the electorate—Clinton holds a 12 point advantage among whites with a college degree, 52 percent to 40 percent. If you break that into men and women, she trails among the former—losing college-educated white men by 7 points—but holds a 31 point advantage with the latter, swamping Trump, 62 percent to 31 percent."

Donald Trump is headed for a historic loss with some whites.

Donald Trump Losing College Educated White Voters to Hillary Clinton - Fortune

Trump May Become The First Republican In 60 Years To Lose White College Graduates | FiveThirtyEight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections