Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 PM

43 posts, read 55,566 times

Advertisements

Didn't know how else to word it but I will try to explain the ethnic part the best I can. Yes I know it isn't the proper term to use but I had to use some term to differentiate between someone like a Raul Esparza (who isn't the kind of latino I am talking about) compared to a Wilmer Valderrama (who is the kind of latino I am talking about).

I have read statistics that say when white women go interracial they go for latinos more than any other ethnic group but my actual experience shows that it might not actually be as common. When we think of Latino we think of looks, someone with dark hair, dark eyes, and usually a skin tone that ranges from tan to almost olive.

Someone like Wilmer Valderrama for example.

Well here is what I mean by ethnically, we know that someone like Charlie Sheen, Lionel Messi, or Raul Esparza are also latinos by definition even though they look no different than a white person. I used the word ethnically to distinguish between what latino truly means (and we come in all colors) vs what is perceived to be a latino by common americans (someone with a swarthy like appearance).

Though I have known a few white anglo females with hite latino boyfriends and husbands that looked no different from a white person, I notice that it is somewhat uncommon or rare here on the east coast to see an ethnically latino male with the same complexion as say Adam Rodriguez or Wilmer Valderrama with a girlfriend or wife that happens to be a white anglo female.

The reason I am asking is because I am a darker latino male who is in a relationship with a white girl and we are one of the very few couples in our area like this, our life has been made difficult at times because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
You already posted this same exact thread.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:36 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando1984 View Post
we are one of the very few couples in our area like this, our life has been made difficult at times because of it.
There seems to be a lot of threads on this. How exactly has your life been made difficult? Are people destroying your property, refusing you service, etc? Is it possible that you have a chip on your shoulder?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:00 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,536,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando1984 View Post
The reason I am asking is because I am a darker latino male who is in a relationship with a white girl and we are one of the very few couples in our area like this, our life has been made difficult at times because of it.

Curious... where do you live and who is giving you a hard time?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:21 AM

We live in North Florida and in a decent neighborhood too and usually

1. Hear lots of racial slurs
2. Neighbors exclude us from things
3. Get rude stares
4. Have been followed and harassed by younger people (shocking because we are both in our mid 20s)
5. Have been told by my girlfriend how she finds that all of her friends bring up how she is dating a "mexican" to be weird

Never been to Miami before but it is not our kind of city. North Florida seems pretty segregated and hostile towards anyone that is an outsider. Only been here for 3 years and started dating her a year ago.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:36 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Larger cities outside of the South would probably be your best bet. I'm a native Floridian who has lived in major cities in the Northeast US and get where you're coming from. Either the NYC metro area (NYC/Long Island/New Jersey) or the DC/Baltimore metro area (DC/Baltimore/Maryland suburbs between both cities/Northern Virginia suburbs of DC) would be my suggestion. Both areas would have sufficient job opportunity and while yes more expensive, the salaries are much higher (which is how people afford to live there) and you won't find the issues you're encountering currently.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:56 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Maybe I'm naive, but I didn't think that was that much of a stigma. I've seen those couples just about everywhere.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Yup. Just about anywhere.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Maybe I'm naive, but I didn't think that was that much of a stigma. I've seen those couples just about everywhere.
I don't know, it doesn't seem to be the case with florida. Here it's mostly black guys with white girls and the interracial dating stops there. To be fair though, North Florida is mostly a bunch of broke an uneducated hicks.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:46 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Well I recently lived for 5 years in what is often regarded as an un-diverse place in Grand Rapids. It was not uncommon at all to see bi-racial couples, specifically of the Latino Male/Cauc. Female variety. I find it to be true in Louisville too, and if it is common in these places, I can't imagine it being that big of a deal in the places that aren't as unfairly judged. Of course my experience in northern Florida accounts for the time I visit Jacksonville a couple times a year, so I'm certainly not an expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.