Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:32 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,631,955 times

Advertisements

Trump began his speech by pointing out that he posted record numbers in his primary battles while the Democratic primary count was down 20%, despite being very heavily contested.

If vote count, especially among minorities collapses in the same manner for the general election, the Democrats will lose the swing states. It is not clear whether this is being factored into poll number weightings but it must be very worrisome for Clinton who cannot count on the level of passion that there was for Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 07:36 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,559,016 times
Not to mention Trump posted record numbers WHILE he was splitting votes with 15 other candidates. That point is missed on a lot of people.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:57 AM

24,504 posts, read 17,255,259 times
The people have spoken and the numbers prove it. I can't imagine that any of the candidates that Trump left in his wake would have garnered the excitement that was seen at the convention last night.

I can't stand Hillary and I have always thought she would be a disaster for the country. I have always liked Trump but I winced every time he put his foot in his mouth but after last night he put a buzz in the air that was very Presidential.

Why people like the Bush's, Cruz and half the prominent Republicans are not getting on the Trump train only makes them appear that they are pro Hillary.

The people have spoken in big numbers and lets hope they do so come election day.
I think Trump will prove many people wrong.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:59 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Not to mention Trump posted record numbers WHILE he was splitting votes with 15 other candidates. That point is missed on a lot of people.
It's not missed at all, it's heavily ignored and pushed under the rug.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:00 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
That is WHY there were record numbers. 15 candidates spewing hate and polarizing their base. People got out to vote because they painted each other as "so awful". People didn't vote in the Dems because it was never really contested, so they didn't feel an urgency.

It will be interesting to see if they come out for the General Election. I think they will, but it's just a guess.

I was a little suprised that Trump espoused so many liberal values:
-He said that government can solve your problems, and he would single-handedly fix America
-He said that he can make us all proud of America again (Michelle-esque comment, indicating he and his base is not proud).
-He made pro LBGT(Q?) comments, and then said in a surprised tone "I'm glad to hear you all cheer for that"
-He talked about opening up trade

How can this guy rail against big-gov't and poo-poo on people who have their hands out, waiting for Gov't to take care of then and then say "I will single-handedly fix your problems"?

Anyway, I don't figure on changing anyone's mind. I was just a bit perplexed. (FWIW, the love of my life is a Trump supporter. I don't love her less. We just disagree on whether he is what we need, or a disaster.)

Old 07-22-2016, 08:03 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Quote:
You are assuming that it would be the same without. There was a heavy anti Trump presence on the campaign trail. It's conceivable to believe that a lot of those numbers might not of shown up had Trump not of been running as well. I wouldn't get all that excited over the numbers if I were you. The Democrats smashed Republican primary turnout in both 1980 and 1988 and lost both years. Turnout is indicative of a competitive field and not how great a candidate you end up with.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 AM

25,965 posts, read 22,143,367 times
In 2008, I was a registered Democrat, but no I did not end up voting Democratic that year. It was my feeling that Obama's campaign was much better on grass roots and outreach to people, I mean, I lived in KS in a smaller town and I could see it. That really is how he beat Hillary, I think, in the primaries. Hillary is coming up short yet again. She is so fake when she tried to be one of us, lack of sincerity? She needed to climb down from the throne a long time ago if she wanted to reach the people.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Talking You won't like this little dose of reality...

2016 primary votes:

Drumpf: 14 million

Hillary: 16 million

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ainst-him-too/

So, yes. Drumpf won a record number of primary votes.

What the **********s don't like to acknowledge is that he also set the all-time record for votes against him in a GOP primary campaign.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:18 AM

33,587 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Everyone is talking Trump.. the democrats will fall.. their lies will crumble under the weight of the truth..

Old 07-22-2016, 08:19 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
2016 primary votes:

Drumpf: 14 million

Hillary: 16 million

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ainst-him-too/

So, yes. Drumpf won a record number of primary votes.

What the **********s don't like to acknowledge is that he also set the all-time record for votes against him in a GOP primary campaign.
And what most left wingers don't like to acknowledge is that most GOP voters would much rather hold their nose and vote for Trump than ever see Hillary in office again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections