Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 08:24 AM

381 posts, read 177,649 times

Advertisements

Ivanka's was definitely better as far as poise and delivery. I thought the DNC was one of the few times Chelsea had given a public speech, but interestingly, I found out today that she does speaking gigs and is paid handsomely for them. Very interesting

Old 07-29-2016, 08:24 AM

57,370 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree. The RNC had some good highlights, such as the Trump children. Yet, I was impressed by the DNC. I liked Ms. Clinton's speech. I did not get to see Chelsea introduce her, but I read that she gave a nice, low key, speech (much like Trump's daughter did).

It was sad, I admit, that the DNC speakers talked more about Ronald Reagan and his optimistic view of America than the RNC (if Mr. Trump or the others spoke of Mr. Reagan, I missed it). Indeed, during much of the DNC one could easily have thought they were watching a Republican convention from times past.

One highlight was Mr. Bloomberg's speech. He made it clear that he disagreed with many of the Democrat's ideas, but nevertheless urged voters to 'vote for the sane one'. I am still surprised that Mr. Trump did not unleash a twitter bomb against Mr. Bloomberg, but I guess he is intimated by a man at least 4 times richer than he. People whom measure their own self-worth by the number of dollars they have are naturally intimidated by those whom are richer.

I also liked that Muslim couple, whose son was killed in Afghanistan some 12 years ago, and his pulling out the Constitution and suggesting that Mr. Trump actually read it. More than likely, if said gentleman was at the RNC, upon reaching into his pocket to retrieve the booklet, many in the audience would have probably started screaming in terror.

Anyway, while I have always watched the political conventions over the years, I believe this is the first time in decades that I immersed myself in both. I thought the DNC clearly presented a more realistic view of the USA and the world, and how to approach our problems.

The immigrant couple that had a son killed in the military was a tremendously powerful moment, people should visit Arlington National Cemetery and see the people of all different religions that gave their lives. Some people would have never allowed him to enter the country yet he gave his life.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Many do believe, for sound reasons, that the major networks strive to be neutral.

So! When I watched the news (last night), I not only saw (on CBS) a news segment about Hillary Clinton and her poor 'trust' rating with the American public, but I also saw a segment about Donald Trump and his statements about the Russians and Hillary's missing emails. No doubt, some herein will view such as 'showing bias' since they mentioned Mr. Trump in an unfavorable light. Or, rather, not so much as an 'unfavorable light', but simply running film showing what Mr. Trump actually said.

It is sad that a news broadcast may show footage of Mr. Trump speaking, and his followers then claim that it is 'not fair', for he is being misunderstood.
Seems to me that showing footage of Mr. Trump saying something is fair game even if later he says it was just a joke.

For some time now, I've been waiting for him to announce that all his wild talk and indeed his running for president has been a prank, a way to show the country what Republicans are really about without all the dog-whistling business.

I have since given up on that, sadly. The debates promise to be a good time.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:29 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,541,155 times
Chelsea and Ivanka are long time friends:

Chelsea Clinton, Ivanka Trump friendship: Presidential nominees

Old 07-29-2016, 08:29 AM

25,856 posts, read 16,555,430 times
I see she wore her best pantsuit for the occasion. First woman to accept a nomination from a major party for president. First felon as well.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:32 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,230,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
He did? Where did you see this?
Russia to U.S., Trump: Sort out your own pre-election hacking scandal | Reuters

Old 07-29-2016, 08:34 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,757,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Yes, Chelsea is proof that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, she has the same horse face and huge mouth full of teeth, and she can lie like nobodies business. She has learned to lie and cheat and show no remorse. Her phony speech sucked, but attempting to make her mother look human was an impossible task. If she knows her well she should have told the truth.
We can only hope she continues to be a baby factory and not get into politics. We need to put an end to the clinton crime family in November..
GO TRUMP 2016
So we can elect the Trump crime family? Gimme a break.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:36 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,116,698 times
Chelsea's delivery was less than inspiring due to the lack of her own excitement and energy.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
So, exactly how does the Democratic Party think we can provide free community college courses to anyone that wants them? We can't even properly fund K through 12 education in this country.
She made it clear in her speech. Corporations and wealthy citizens will need to pay their fair share. They benefit from U.S. infrastructure, educated workers, and markets. They need to pay their fair share.

If wealthy citizens want to move to Switzerland, or the Bahamas, or Timbuktu, so be it. Their business interests in the U.S. will still be taxed appropriately.

To those who say corporations will move overseas, Elizabeth Warren is on the case.

How Americans Scared Walgreens Out Of A $4 Billion Tax Dodge

Old 07-29-2016, 08:38 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Chelsea has an embellished resume just like her mother. I remember her missing entire semesters from college but still graduating on time. She got a title and money without putting in any of the work to earn it.
You went to Stanford with Chelsea? Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections