Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 11:40 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times

Advertisements

Such as maybe the Libertarians? Or even an Independent ?

Something I thought about. I supported Adrian Wylie in the Florida governor's race two years ago. He wanted to be on the platform on TV as part of the debate with the other two candidates, but Governor Rick "the d*ck" Scott and Charlie "Jesus" Crist were afraid that they would lose too many votes to him. For one, he was not there to play partisan politics, and there was concern that he might ride a wave of anti-partisan angst into the office, Second, both governors Scott and Crist have done ****-poor jobs in office, and Wylie emerged with a clear cut to-do list that did not waste time or money fixing economic, educational and pork waste problems. This would not have followed party lines, but would have benefited the state most of all. But his exposure was kept to a minimum, and ultimately, the state gets shafted for 4 more years by a career crook.

BUT it is difficult in some states and territories for a 3rd party or Independent to get elected. (Samoa and Alaska are about it)

SO Is it time we look seriously at an Independent or a Libertarian given the poor choices we have this November. I am a conservative Democrat. I do not want Bill Clinton's Wife to be the president, and Trump would be even more of a disaster. I am leaning towards voting Indy or third party, so whoever wins, I can say "I did not vote for him/her."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 11:44 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,695,069 times
The two parties are entirely too far imbedded and funded to allow another party.
I just don't think this will ever happen, at least not for a long long time.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:48 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,870 times
i say no and here's the reason, because its not really '2 parties' there were what, 17 candidates to choose from on the republican side? you had way more than 2 candidates, this political process is like the ncaa basketball tournament, its like sitting there and watching the final game on april 5th and saying "this tournament would be better if it had more than 2 teams"

Old 07-30-2016, 11:54 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,695,069 times
I hear you, the republican party has been running there campaigns for the big office ever since Obama got elected.

I have had republicans tell me that nobody in their party voted for Obamacare too. I asked they if they would like to have a list of the republicans that voted for it as it's public information.
Just stupidity and it shows what they are willing to believe.
Then again, in my state they just keep voting for McCain. I don't think if they knew the truth about what happened to him in Viet Nam it would make a difference. In this state, if he is a republican he gets the vote.
I knew an AF col that I buried a few years back that monitored the chatter on the radio when the "maverick" went into an area that he was not supposed to be in. If McCain had been anyone else he would have been court martialed but having a grand father and father that were high ranking helped him out a bunch in life.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:06 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
SO Is it time we look seriously at an Independent or a Libertarian given the poor choices we have this November. I am a conservative Democrat. I do not want Bill Clinton's Wife to be the president, and Trump would be even more of a disaster. I am leaning towards voting Indy or third party, so whoever wins, I can say "I did not vote for him/her."
Good for you! Of all the candidates in this race, the two that I despise the most are Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. I actually agree with Trump a little more than Hillary on the issues, but I don't like his silly idea of a gigantic wall across the border, and I absolutely hate his childish behavior (making fun of people's looks or disabilities, etc.). He reminds me of a pre teen bully that many of us had the displeasure of encountering in grade school. At the same time, Hillary acts like she's above the law ... and she has proven herself to be untrustworthy with the email controversy, as well as the Benghazi incident, and other questionable dealings she & Bill were involved in.

With these stellar choices we have from the two major parties, it is definitely time to look at the third party candidates. I am casting my vote for Gary Johnson, even though I realize he has no chance of winning. It's a matter of voting for the person you agree with the most, and who you think would be the best leader. Many Americans seem reluctant to support a Libertarian for a higher office, even though Libertarian principles are basically what this country was founded on. Unlike Clinton & Trump, Johnson believes in LESS government intervention. He supports many things that most Americans agree with, such as gun rights, term limits, spending cuts, limits on foreign aid & involvement in foreign conflicts, as well as being pro choice.

Just so you know, there is no independent running for President as of now. The alternate choices to the hag bag and the sleaze bag are the Libertarian, Green, and Constitutionalist candidates. None of them will come anywhere close to getting the majority of the vote (let alone electoral votes), but it comes down to voting your conscience ... not picking the supposed lesser of two evils.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:08 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times
Trump is essentially the Third Party this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections