Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 10:07 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times

Advertisements

No thanks. I don't believe anyone who supports Sharia law over our laws has any business in public service of the United States.

Move to Saudi Arabia.

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
By now we have all realized that no matter what she does she'll claim she did on Monday and insist she didn't on Tuesday then blame it on a fake video on Wednesday and she'll delete all emails about it on Thursday.

You mean Donald Trump?

You forgot to say: Then tweet about it on Friday.

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Keeping the weak minded (that's some of you) focused on nonsense, itty bitty feelings got hurt and we spend days on this story and ignore what's really going on, we ignore mass terror, blood in the streets, angry lives matter protests and on and on and on, death and blood in the streets of chicago, its like beirut, this isn't the america we grew up in, this stuff didn't happen in the 70s and 80s and all we're talking about is some silly verbal insults and ignoring everything else?

Shame on us.
I grew up in the 50's and 60's and don't find it any worse than it was back then pertaining to being afraid of things going on in the country and the world. In fact, I feel more secure now. As a kid, I still remember the testing of the air raid sirens sounding at noon growing up in Seattle. That always scared me as a kid. Or the duck and cover drills in elementary school during those cold war times.

All the chaos of the 1960s was a scarier time for me. My parents said that too before passing in the early 2000s. I remember the scared look on their faces during many of the things that happened during the cold war times ...Bay of Pigs invasion, both Kennedy assassinations, MLK assassination, the Vietnam war protests and violence, etc., etc., etc.

You know as well as I that crime in general is trending down in the U.S. from its peak in the 80s and 90s.

Property crime is trending down CLICK

Violent crime is trending down CLICK

DH and I have a much higher standard of living now than we did as kids growing up. Our IRAs and retirement funds are all back in record high territory after that huge and devastating plunge in 2008 and 2009. Our income is higher in retirement than it was when we were working.

Yes, we do have to do everything we can to combat radical Islamic terrorism. But to me personally, it's not one of my biggest concerns. I've been an advocate and have spent hours of volunteering and donating to many causes that attempt to reduce the number killed by drunk drivers.

Drunk drivers kill more innocent people in the U.S. than either radical Islamic terrorism or gun violence. You or one of your family members has a much greater chance of being killed by a drunk driver than being killed by an Islamic terrorist or any act of random gun violence. Yet where is the outcry pertaining to reducing deaths of innocent people in the U.S. by impaired drivers like there is against radical Islamic terrorism?

I don't hear anybody saying "ban all vehicle travel in the U.S. until we can figure out what the hell is going on." Banning all vehicle travel would be ridiculous as neither vehicles nor those driving them in general are not causing drunk driver caused deaths of innocent people. It's just a small portion of drivers that are driving impaired. We don't ban all driving. No, we keep trying to figure out ways of reducing this problem.

So banning all Muslims until we can figure out what the hell is going on is also ridiculous. We should be investing money on the best and most effective ways to vet those coming into the country. We should do everything we can do to figure out how to curb the radical Islamic terrorism but Donald Trump alone can't wipe it out as fast as he claims he can.

No, I personally don't buy your scary scenario.
~amanda

Old 08-02-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Just like Mike Pence, then?
As well as BO's VP, Joe Biden.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:10 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
US Marine And Navy Veteran Writes BLISTERING Open Letter To Khizr Khan: “Does it matter whether Mr. Trump has ‘sacrificed’? Has Ms. Clinton ‘sacrificed’ for this nation? How about Mr. Obama?”
Dear Mr. Khan,
I want to preface this letter by stating that I respect your son’s sacrifice for this great nation. By all accounts, he is a true hero that sacrificed himself in service to our country. For that I am thankful.
As a veteran, I watched your comments at the Democratic National Convention with a mixture of sadness, and anger. The United States has a military comprised of volunteers. Every single member has made the conscious choice to join the military and serve. There is not a single service member who has been forced into service....
Respectfully,
Chris Mark

source:
The List of Americans Defending Donald Trump Against Family of Fallen Muslim-American Soldier
How ridiculous this is. Trump is the one who said he also sacrificed. Hillary and Obama said no such thing. So why are they mentioned.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:10 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Think Trump will win the vet vote?
Well, he's doing a lot to lose it with his going after the Khans...

Old 08-02-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture View Post
How any vet could support Don the Con is beyond me. It's almost as topsy-turvy as "christians" supporting him.
The thought of Hillary Clinton being President makes it no problem at all for me.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:13 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeasher View Post
If so, why hasn't she yet appeared with him jointly on one of his many TV boadcasts to support him and vouch for him? Instead all she can muster is some tweets/retweets. She used him as pawn and she is done.

Trump had it all right and has handled this for what it is.
You still don't get it, do you?

Eleventh commandment: you never, ever say or hint anything bad about the parent/parents of a military member who was killed in action.

Can you get that thru your thick skull, please?

There are no ifs, no ands, and no buts. NO EXCUSES, no childish whining are acceptable.

Unlike Trump, who continues to beat that DEAD DOG into the ground, Hillary has moved on.

Mr Khan is a grown, well educated and very eloquent man. He can take care of himself.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty Pendergrass View Post
I'm a veteran, I find the letter repulsive.

If you want to support Trump, support him, that is your right, I don't understand it, and I don't want to...but don't dare proclaim that you speak for me and other vets when you attack a grieving parent of one of our own. Trump has never sacrificed, neither has Hillary or Obama. The difference is, you don't hear the last 2 claiming to have sacrificed anything (not in this election cycle at least). Regardless of who sacrificed what, to attack a grieving parent on EITHER side of the aisle is just lower than low. I've seen some sites calling this man a radical terrorist. For what?! Speaking against Trump? Are you serious?!

..and "they did it too" is a juvenile excuse. At some point you have to be willing to say "I won't stoop that low."

Oddly enough, for the party of "morality", that low just seems to get lower everyday.
No the difference is that a family wasn't paraded at the RNC saying "What did you sacrifice Hillary/Obama?"

What the DNC did is a low to me.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:23 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
I grew up in the 50's and 60's and don't find it any worse than it was back then pertaining to being afraid of things going on in the country and the world. In fact, I feel more secure now. As a kid, I still remember the testing of the air raid sirens sounding at noon growing up in Seattle. That always scared me as a kid. Or the duck and cover drills in elementary school during those cold war times.

All the chaos of the 1960s was a scarier time for me. My parents said that too before passing in the early 2000s. I remember the scared look on their faces during many of the things that happened during the cold war times ...Bay of Pigs invasion, both Kennedy assassinations, MLK assassination, the Vietnam war protests and violence, etc., etc., etc.

You know as well as I that crime in general is trending down in the U.S. from its peak in the 80s and 90s.

Property crime is trending down CLICK

Violent crime is trending down CLICK

DH and I have a much higher standard of living now than we did as kids growing up. Our IRAs and retirement funds are all back in record high territory after that huge and devastating plunge in 2008 and 2009. Our income is higher in retirement than it was when we were working.

Yes, we do have to do everything we can to combat radical Islamic terrorism. But to me personally, it's not one of my biggest concerns. I've been an advocate and have spent hours of volunteering and donating to many causes that attempt to reduce the number killed by drunk drivers.

Drunk drivers kill more innocent people in the U.S. than either radical Islamic terrorism or gun violence. You or one of your family members has a much greater chance of being killed by a drunk driver than being killed by an Islamic terrorist or any act of random gun violence. Yet where is the outcry pertaining to reducing deaths of innocent people in the U.S. by impaired drivers like there is against radical Islamic terrorism?

I don't hear anybody saying "ban all vehicle travel in the U.S. until we can figure out what the hell is going on." Banning all vehicle travel would be ridiculous as neither vehicles nor those driving them in general are not causing drunk driver caused deaths of innocent people. It's just a small portion of drivers that are driving impaired. We don't ban all driving. No, we keep trying to figure out ways of reducing this problem.

So banning all Muslims until we can figure out what the hell is going on is also ridiculous. We should be investing money on the best and most effective ways to vet those coming into the country. We should do everything we can do to figure out how to curb the radical Islamic terrorism but Donald Trump alone can't wipe it out as fast as he claims he can.

No, I personally don't buy your scary scenario.
~amanda
good writeup, thanks for chiming in.

i agree that trump isn't going to 'fix things overnight' but at least he's suggesting he will try and fix something, hillary isn't really promising to fix anything, she's just using these 'rally cry' speeches that 'we will do this together' type of stuff, but has no real concrete plan to do any of it. it really comes down to one candidate placating every voting group and trying to offend nobody while the other guy is giving raw and painful truth not worrying who he will offend....i'm not a huge fan of the insult everyone on a 24/7 basis, but i'm just not a fan of the way hillary is doing things and plans on doing things going forward if she wins. you know the old saying, if you're staying the same, you're getting worse, to me, change means you're trying to get better, i like that approach in a candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections