Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:28 AM

21,395 posts, read 20,015,574 times

Advertisements

Too bad Monica and all the others didn't know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:29 AM

13,733 posts, read 9,079,360 times
I guess the 'point' is that Donald John Trump, instead of stating that a woman whom believes she is being sexually harassed should complain to superiors in the company, should instead 'change careers'. Mind, not change jobs in the same field, but a whole different career.

Here is Erik Trump's statement:

Eric Trump: Ivanka wouldn't allow herself to be subjected to sexual harassment - POLITICO

As Erik points out, his sister is 'strong' and 'powerful', and so she 'wouldn't allow herself to be objected to it' (I guess he meant 'subjected', since he then used that word later on), although he then allowed that his sister, although strong, should take it up with Human Resources, although she is powerful, and strong, and concluded that his father made his point very well.

It is, of course, easy to change careers. If one has a college degree in Business, and has worked in Business, and is sexually harassed, said woman may simply change to another career, such as dancing perhaps, or roofing or such. Perhaps cooking, which lots of women do well, seemingly, although chefs are usually men, although lots of strong women cook, and powerful cooking it is to, when done right.

I see that I am rambling. I guess I shall end up being a Trump supporter, should my condition continue to deteriorate.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:29 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,594,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
And this is the problem here! At what point did this women decide filing a sexual harassment suit was warranted? Was it after she stopped receiving the perks that she had no problem "working" for?
Unfortunately, filing a sexual harrassmant suit often causes more problems for the victim. It's public record and future employers might steer clear of applicants that filed any lawsuit against their former employer. Then there are still many people that say 'she made it up'. Unless there are many women impacted, often 1 or 2 are dismissed as problematic and it becomes 'he said, she said'. Those in power with money usually come out ahead.

Look at what occurred with the Fox News case. The first week or two many people were blaming the one victim that came forward. Then the employer, Fox News, pushed for existing females employees to come forward saying they weren't harrassed. Whether they were or weren't shouldn't even impact the victim's case. But this gives you an idea what happens to the victim when they come forward. They are often blacklisted.

It's too bad some people don't realize this - especially Trump. But also voters that would vote for him knowing he is ok with sexual harrassmant as it has been occurring for many years. Just like the old days. Yep - he wants to "take our country back"....to the 1920s before sexual harrassment was ever discussed.

Last edited by sware2cod; 08-02-2016 at 07:38 AM..

Old 08-02-2016, 07:32 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,425,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
He also thinks it's "sad" that women would make these allegations. Not apparently that harassment occurs, but that women would dare to speak out about it.

Trump says he hopes Ivanka would quit if she got harassed: Kirsten Powers

How any woman could support this man is beyond me. I wonder if he thinks that he can harass a female head of state he doesn't agree with into quitting so he doesn't have to deal with her?
God, I love Trump. Here he goes once again opening his big fat mouth and exposing the GOP for the putrid pile of sexist, misogynistic, racist, white-supremacist bigots that it's been for quite some time now - and then his drooling followers simply prove the point by defending what he says. Unbelievable, but wonderful for Democrats and other decent-minded folks out there. Trump is literally handing the election to Clinton right before our eyes. Talk about major self-destruction.
LOL

Ken

Old 08-02-2016, 07:33 AM

19,907 posts, read 12,426,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Unfortunately, filing a sexual harrassmant suit often causes more problems for the victim. It's public record and future employers might steer clear of applicants that filed any lawsuit against their former employer. Then there are still many people that say 'she made it up'. Unless there are many women impacted, often 1 or 2 are dismissed as problematic and it becomes 'he said, she said'. Those in power with money usually come out ahead.

It's too bad some people don't realize this - especially Trump. But also voters that would vote for him knowing he is ok with sexual harrassmant as it has been occurring for many years. Just like the old days. Yep - he wants to "take our country back"....to the 1920s before sexual harrassment was ever discussed.

So you shouldn't report it and shouldn't go along with it. What are you supposed to do other than leave?

Old 08-02-2016, 07:40 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,351,011 times
Old men like Trump who say things like that should retire to a rocking chair on a mountain top.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:47 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,425,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So you shouldn't report it and shouldn't go along with it. What are you supposed to do other than leave?
You SHOULD report it - and fight it. What SHOULDN'T be the case is the situation outlined by swear2cod. Folks like Trump and his supporters here keep that situation in place because they like having women be subservient to men. In the final they are not that different from the Taliban.

Ken

Old 08-02-2016, 07:49 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,594,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

I am not saying to never report it. However, don't blame the victim that didn't report it. I bet she struggled for a long time trying to decide whether to report it, or whether to quit or how to react. It's probably been bothering her every day for 20 years. Each option to her had a negative impact and maybe just 'going along with it' was the easiest option for her at the time, financially and professionally. This doesn't make it right just because she want along with the path of lease resistance for her. Who knows, maybe she did tell her others at work and maybe nothing was done back then. Maybe she saw an attorney they laid out the options and maybe she decided not to sue because she didn't want to spend thousands on an attorney and be blacklisted for future jobs at other companies. She's still a victim.

Don't blame the victim.

BTW - I know someone that was sexual harrassed at work by her supervisor at a large company and she reported it. He held up her raises for sex. If she didn't go foward with what he wanted then the performance appraisals and raises were below average and late. After reporting it, she got transferred to another department after being put on a long term leave of absence while the investigation took place. Her commute increased a lot because she had to go to a different corporate office where the harrasser didn't work. She was blacklisted by many people in that company. She didn't want to resign because it was a great company to work for and she already had many years vested toward a pension/retirement and didn't want to start over at a new company.

After the investigation, the harrasser was demoted. Many many people were talked to during the investigation so it was out in the open and everyone knew about it. Lots of people liked the manager because he was outgoing and popular. They blamed her for causing his demotion. It impacted her career growth negatively.

It's horrible for the victim no matter what path they take.

Last edited by sware2cod; 08-02-2016 at 07:59 AM..

Old 08-02-2016, 07:49 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,767,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Trump is absolutely correct, if they don't like what they are required to do to keep their job or get a promotion, find a new job.
One of these women complaining against Roger Aisles continued to work for him for 20 years and preformed every act he asked for. She and others were summoned and brought to his hotel in limousines, preformed for him and were returned home. They were well paid prostitutes who had other choices if they had chosen to do so. It didn't bother them until the story broke they they came foreword crying about it.
One said when she got older and lost some of her appeal, she recruited younger women for him. Wasn't that nice of her, to recruit other into the web of sin..
This isn't a case of Cosby drugging them, they were willing and eager to preform sex acts to get ahead. That makes them prostitutes. They could have quit and found a new place to work at any time, or if need be, a new profession where they wouldn't have to sacrifice their morals.
I don't excuse what Roger did, but they had a choice and chose to use their bodies to get ahead. I have no sympathy for them, and neither should anyone else...
I totally agree.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:23 AM

19,907 posts, read 12,426,680 times
I think sexual harassment has declined a lot in general but in the entertainment industry it's almost a given. "News" is now entertainment and unfortunately it's the same old same old. If I were a parent I would want my daughter out of that situation quickly too rather than have her go up against those very powerful people who could do some real damage or even be dangerous. It is not just women but young men that are subjected to this, particularly in Hollywood.

I would want my son or daughter to leave the situation because I love them and want them to be safe more than anything. If they chose to fight it I would be there for them, I would just worry a lot that they would be dragged through the mud and punished.

I imagine Trump is very protective of Ivanka and his other kids and this is his thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections