Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:40 PM

21,484 posts, read 10,593,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Can I ask you a question, where do you live? Like in a city, suburb, town?

I see based on your zip code you live in a suburb of Houston, way out there. So if I can ask, what the hell are you so scared of?

I live in Chicago and:

-We have gun violence problems here
-I ride that train to work every day, and almost always there are Muslims on board
-I work two blocks from the Sears Tower, a potential major terrorist target
-I live about 1.5 miles from Chicago's biggest Muslim neighborhood (Albany Park)
-My neighborhood has a lot of illegal immigrants, primarily Mexican

Yet, nothing ever happens, and nothing has happened. I don't know anyone here in Chicago (I have been here for 30 years) who has been raped by an illegal Mexican immigrant. The Muslims I see on the train mind their own business. And guess what? Everyone else in Chicago seems just fine too on the train, surrounded by illegal immigrants in their neighborhoods, with Muslims all over the place and on top of that we aren't the safest city in the country.

So why are YOU so scared? Sounds like you have a paranoia problem. Sounds like you aren't exposed to different types of people.

Trump supporters I have found are the ones that rarely interact with people who are different from them, so they take other's people word for it like Donald Trump's. Ignorance = fear. I am sure if you lived in an integrated neighrborhood that has Muslims, illegal immigrants, and whole wide variety of different people you would see there is nothing to fear.

Terrorist attacks have always happened, and will continue to happen for the rest of our lives. Yes, we must be vigilant to try to stop it but you also have to be realistic.

There was a murder for the first time in our neighborhood two years ago and there hand't been one for over 20+ years. I remember my mom started to freak out saying the neighborhood was going down, how could they kill someone in our neighborhood. Well then I made her rethink it, and told her ONE person killed in our neighborhood of 20,000 people every 20 years, is not bad AT ALL. Unfortunate but not bad at all. And she realized that I was right, that things happen sometimes, but we can't just freak out and lash out.

When was the last time we had a major terrorist attack in the US by a terrorist group? It's been 15 years, and I hate to say it, but eventually another one will happen. Could be tomorrow, could be in 10 years, could be in 50 years. But if we freak out over every little thing, well then you have the mentality of a rabbit, a frantic simple minded creature. Being vigilant and objective with these things is what's needed, not being scared, and lashing out certain groups. That solves nothing, only makes the situation worse, because you inspire fear in them too.
I know plenty of illegal aliens, and also Americans of Mexican descent whose families have lived here longer than I have. I have no problems with Hispanics. I love them, their culture, their food. My best friend is Hispanic. Most of them are hard working, friendly, less criminal than a lot of people here, but don't act like there are no cartel people here committing crimes, or that there aren't murderers and rapists among the people here illegally (and legally). I wasn't talking about people from Latin America anyway.

Just because we haven't had an attack by a major organization doesn't mean we haven't had any terrorist attacks. The big ones are probably easier to stop with our intelligence and the interruption of those groups due to the war and drone program, but the "new normal" seems to be the lone wolf or small groups of terrorists who have committed quite a few attacks here in the last several years. And I don't want to accept it as the new normal. We sure as heck don't need to bring in thousands or millions of people from those countries.

We have a right to be selective about who we allow to immigrate. And you can call me xenophobic or flat out racist for it, but I don't care. They have promised to infiltrate the refugee program, and they have fulfilled that promise in France. I have more faith in our anti-terrorism efforts than France's, but it isn't necessary to bring them here. I'm sorry they are going through what they are going through, but they are fleeing their countries with the values and cultures that caused the problems in the first place. It would be like allowing all the Nazis to come here during WWII.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:59 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,827,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I know plenty of illegal aliens, and also Americans of Mexican descent whose families have lived here longer than I have. I have no problems with Hispanics. I love them, their culture, their food. My best friend is Hispanic. Most of them are hard working, friendly, less criminal than a lot of people here, but don't act like there are no cartel people here committing crimes, or that there aren't murderers and rapists among the people here illegally (and legally). I wasn't talking about people from Latin America anyway.

Just because we haven't had an attack by a major organization doesn't mean we haven't had any terrorist attacks. The big ones are probably easier to stop with our intelligence and the interruption of those groups due to the war and drone program, but the "new normal" seems to be the lone wolf or small groups of terrorists who have committed quite a few attacks here in the last several years. And I don't want to accept it as the new normal. We sure as heck don't need to bring in thousands or millions of people from those countries.

We have a right to be selective about who we allow to immigrate. And you can call me xenophobic or flat out racist for it, but I don't care. They have promised to infiltrate the refugee program, and they have fulfilled that promise in France. I have more faith in our anti-terrorism efforts than France's, but it isn't necessary to bring them here. I'm sorry they are going through what they are going through, but they are fleeing their countries with the values and cultures that caused the problems in the first place. It would be like allowing all the Nazis to come here during WWII.
Ok but the lone wolf attacks that occur in the US are done WAY MORE by white Americans than immigrants or Muslims?! Should we ban white peoples now from entering the country?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,381,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
It would never happen. The Senate is never going to confirm a member of his family.
I sure hope so, but I am worried that he'll appoint Ivanka to his cabinet.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I wouldn't call the car elevator, low tax rates, and dog in a crate strapped to the roof of a car accusations: those were facts. Romney was a qualified candidate. 2012 was probably not the best year to choose a wealthy candidate with a Wall Street background, but it's water under the bridge.

And there was also this problem: Romney as a governor was the polar opposite of his policy positions as a Presidential nominee.

What was wrong with "I've got binders full of women?" Repeat that sentence a few times and it should be clear.
I wasn't a Romney fan, but I thought the big stink over "Binders full of women" was ridiculous. Of course, he meant resumes of various women. It was a no-brainer.

And yet Trump gets away with making much, much worse statements.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:10 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,948,123 times
Hillary trying to pull Trump down into the gutter. Hopefully most women are insulted by her rhetoric.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Oh please, he has mentioned other names in the past. You really need to stop taking every single thing you've been spoon fed through your propaganda sources so literally because you are being happily played and you don't seem to mind at all. You know what Stalin used to call that type of person right?
A FOX News viewer?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Hillary trying to pull Trump down into the gutter. Hopefully most women are insulted by her rhetoric.
What are you talking about. Trump has put himself in the gutter every day of his candadicy.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:47 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,461,674 times
Yes, we all know that if Trump gets elected he will put Ivanka and his other family members into Cabinet positions and such, much as he has them in key positions in his business. Nepotism will be the name of the game.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Ok but the lone wolf attacks that occur in the US are done WAY MORE by white Americans than immigrants or Muslims?! Should we ban white peoples now from entering the country?
Ugh! As I said, we can't do anything about our own people, but we don't need to import more.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I sure hope so, but I am worried that he'll appoint Ivanka to his cabinet.
They still have to confirm cabinet members. And what if Ivanka is qualified? She's no dummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections