Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:19 PM

413 posts, read 910,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
How many more times is this statement going to be misinterpreted?
Please explain how you believe it should be interpreted.

I,for one, think he wouldn't mind if Iraq were to have a permanent US military presence, as Germany, Japan, and Korea do. Do you disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 12:20 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,891,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post

I,for one, think he wouldn't mind if Iraq were to have a permanent US military presence, as Germany, Japan, and Korea do. Do you disagree?
That is actually what he meant. So it doesn't mean fighting there forever, just have a huge occupation. Bad idea either way. And this statement will keep coming back on him.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
That is actually what he meant. So it doesn't mean fighting there forever, just have a huge occupation. Bad idea either way. And this statement will keep coming back on him.
See, that's it.

I don't think the statement was as horrible as some mudslingers have said, but I do think it's a terrible policy to try and establish a permanent military presence there.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:35 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,185,002 times
Quote:

Regardless what anyone says or promises, we WILL have a permanent presence in Iraq. That's why we are investing billions in an airbase there.

The Saudi's kicked us off their land just before the war started. Remember that? The US thinks it's strategic to have a base in the Middle East and it's going to end up being the one in Iraq.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Regardless what anyone says or promises, we WILL have a permanent presence in Iraq. That's why we are investing billions in an airbase there.

The Saudi's kicked us off their land just before the war started. Remember that? The US thinks it's strategic to have a base in the Middle East and it's going to end up being the one in Iraq.
It won't be if the right person becomes president, because it would require a presidential signature or a veto override to authorize such a base.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,891,800 times
Quote:
It won't be if the right person becomes president, because it would require a presidential signature or a veto override to authorize such a base.
The right person has already been forced out of the race. I won't mention his name because it would seem redundant, and it might make me shed a tear.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:30 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,579,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Obama said yesterday that he would end the war in Iraq. Reporters tried to tie him to this and his campaign said "That is a goal, not a policy."

Hahahahahaha!!! EVERYONE would like to end the war in Iraq! I'm sure, now, George Bush would like to end the war in Iraq.

What a joke!!

The neocon goal was to keep the Iraq "war" going continuously for as long as possible. Talk about "mission accomplished"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections