Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:37 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,238,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The GOP needs to take a serious self-examination.

Because if it insists on the remaining the party of anger, fear, and intolerance, it's days are numbered on the national scene. Of course, they'd continue to be a regional party where anger, fear and intolerance are the dominant moods.
You just described the Democratic party. The Dems completely own a litany of outraged and violent social justice warriors. The Dems completely own the army of college snowflakes that constantly feel fearful and unsafe everywhere they go. They completely own intolerance for opposing political views.

You're welcome.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,955,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
... along with the death of the democrat party ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I agree with this and would add the Democrat party has changed ...
Blah blah blah ...

the "democrat party" ...

blah blah blah

Old 08-19-2016, 02:46 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,955,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The religious right is a big problem for the GOP. We have reached a point in our country where a "family values" candidate railing against gays and abortion is out of touch with a majority of the country and can not be elected. However, the religious right is still large enough that it controls the direction of the GOP. Without it, there is no GOP.
Yes, I agree.

Once the Republicans forsake the religious loonies like Rick Santorum, Mike Huckabee, Pat Robertson and their ilk the GOP will be better off.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:47 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,368,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
You just described the Democratic party. The Dems completely own a litany of outraged and violent social justice warriors. The Dems completely own the army of college snowflakes that constantly feel fearful and unsafe everywhere they go. They completely own intolerance for opposing political views.

You're welcome.
You can make all the snide remarks you want, but do the math.

Demographically, the Republican party, nationally, is at a great disadvantage.

Trump is doubling down on a shrinking voter base while alienating other key constituent groups necessarily to win.

Politics is about building coalitions to win elections. Purists can rail all they want and sneer, but if they can't get enough people to vote for them, they're not going anywhere.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:12 PM

16,111 posts, read 10,775,000 times
Reince Priebus and others in the party know that the old GOP change strategies will not work in the future political landscape. The party will have to move to the left to survive but that means shedding those constituencies that they catered to in the past in an attempt to gain a larger base....religious hardliners, extremist right-wingers, and crazies of various make and model. They have to do something to win back some of those independents and lure away some of the reluctant Democrats that are uneasy with a more left-leaning Democratic direction. Oh -- and I don't think that doing it with actors and flim-flam hucksters will work.

Here is another view:
Reince Priebus made a plan to grow the GOP, then planted the seeds for its destruction

Old 08-19-2016, 08:02 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,333,621 times
This is how I see the Republican party in about 4 years!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:44 PM

1,204 posts, read 873,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Therein lies the dilemma.

The constant yammering about how the country was founded on Biblical principles is just nonsense. It's rude and intrusive to tell other people how to handle their reproductive decisions, sexual orientation, etc. These are private matters.

If Republicans truly believe in smaller government, fewer regulations, getting the government out of your business, etc. hard to see where the Religious Right fits in.

It is the RR why I left the Republicans after about 35 years of support-- financially, with my feet and votes. It was a tough pill to swallow when I started to vote Demo but I will continue to do so as long as the RR seemingly has any pull. Ted Cruz showed me they are still a powerful force so I expect to be voting Dem until I die.(presently 62)

Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,024,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You can make all the snide remarks you want, but do the math.

Demographically, the Republican party, nationally, is at a great disadvantage.

Trump is doubling down on a shrinking voter base while alienating other key constituent groups necessarily to win.

Politics is about building coalitions to win elections. Purists can rail all they want and sneer, but if they can't get enough people to vote for them, they're not going anywhere.
Do some math yourself. You say "Trump is doubling on a shrinking voter base..".

Demographically, the whole democrat party is built on transfers of wealth from white people to non-white people. Talk about a declining model - you do the math. Hispanics you say? Do you think for a second they are coming to this country to live in black ghettos? To send their children to majority black schools? They might hate Gringos too, but I think this utopia you have in your mind is not going to come to pass.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:34 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,024,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
This is how I see the Republican party in about 4 years!
The demographics of democrats is terrible. You have almost dead baby boomers (Hillary) running for president, and shrinking black population. The hope is pinned on Hispanics, but I'm guessing they don't want to live in black ghettos and fill the role of compliant votes dems have now from black ghettos.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:58 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,327,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I think America works best when we have two parties ....
No it doesn't. The Constitution makes no mention of political parties.

The reality of government is people in power.

Parties and ideologies are smokescreens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections