Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 04:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,237,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Those who want jobs and take personal responsibility will vote for Trump.

Those who want freebies will not.

That's true, no matter the color/hue.

/end
Oh really?

So all Hillary voters will be unemployed people that don't take responsibility and want freebies?

That's a bold statement, but typical of so many Republicans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
This is a genius move by the Trump campaign. If Trump can get just 15% of the AA vote in Ohio and NC and 20% of the AA vote in PA it's game over for crooked Hillary and her Wall St. buddy Tim Kaine.
Don't hold your breath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Basically. I don't understand the draw of the black community to the Democratic party other than the Republicans seem to practice intolerance and preach hate; get off abortion and gay issues already they are killing the party and the country. Full control of either party is a death sentence for this country so get your crap together already. The Dems haven't done anything for their community in decades except give them money with no hope of changing their circumstances. I am all for fixing the problems facing low income communities with the money I worked hard to earn but those policies aren't put forward by either party; harsher punishments for violent and gang crimes including the death sentence would be a strong deterrent but I'm all for ending criminal's lives.

I am a wealthy white guy but I grew up very poor, drive by shootings on my neighbors were common, and got here with a high school diploma and a strong work ethic. Even I know those same opportunities that made it so I will never have to work another day in my life at 31 simply don't exist for the poorest communities in this country.
What exactly are the Dems supposed to do for black people to change their circumstances? As a black man, i'd sure like to know what it is that you know that i supposedly don't know.

I mean, you just said that the opportunities afforded to you no longer exist. So they're gonna come back into existence if blacks would just leave the Democratic Party?

BTW...practicing intolerance and using hate speech isn't enough for blacks to pretty much abandon the Republican Party? LMAO...ok.
Quote:
And you ignoring the facts is my entire point, there is a systemic problem and the left has done nothing to address it but that minority group still votes that way. Black poverty level in 2013 was 25.2% and in 2014 was up 1% to 26.2%. Compared to white poverty of 10% and 10.1% in the same years the black poverty rate is 12% higher than any other race group. A shocking 12% of the black population earns less than half of the poverty level, compared to 5.6% white and 4.6% non-Hispanic white. Only 51% earn more than double the poverty level, compared to 70% of whites and 75% of non-Hispanic whites. As for median income for all races was $53,657 in 2014 and for the black community is only $35,398.

White high school graduation rates are at 87%, 2013-2014 school year, while black high school graduation rates are 14% lower at 73%, the only lower group is the Native American population at 70%.

You keep thinking there isn't a problem and keep pushing that line for those votes though.
So African Americans should look to government to solve their problems? Is that what you're saying? If they'd just vote Republican (which IS what you're saying BTW...without actually coming right out and saying it), then many of these stubborn problems would be alleviated?

That what you're saying?

Old 08-20-2016, 05:33 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,246,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What exactly are the Dems supposed to do for black people to change their circumstances? As a black man, i'd sure like to know what it is that you know that i supposedly don't know.
Anything, off the top of my head tax breaks for businesses who hire AND PAY GOOD WAGES people who don't have a high school diploma but require these business to push for GEDs to get those tax breaks. Add non-violent convicts to our discrimination laws so minor drug offenses aren't such a huge problem for minority groups; to take it a step further we should seal these records from the public once the sentences are served unless they become repeat offenders.

Quote:
I mean, you just said that the opportunities afforded to you no longer exist. So they're gonna come back into existence if blacks would just leave the Democratic Party?
Actually what I said was, "those same opportunities... simply don't exist for the poorest communities in this country." You need a high school diploma, a computer with an internet connection, and dependable transportation to do what I did and you can do that today. The poorest communities are also where you find the largest number of people without those things.

Quote:
BTW...practicing intolerance and using hate speech isn't enough for blacks to pretty much abandon the Republican Party? LMAO...ok.
Intolerance is the minority in the Republican party and the same can be said about the Democratic party. Things like deindustrialization have hit black communities far harder than any other group. That is the biggest target the Republicans have been trying to fight against since the financial collapse, bring jobs back home. The Republicans want to end trade deals which will bring jobs home while the Democrats want to expand trade but they want to make it harder for companies to hide tax dollars, which needs to be done but it completely ignores the real issue.

Quote:
So African Americans should look to government to solve their problems? Is that what you're saying? If they'd just vote Republican (which IS what you're saying BTW...without actually coming right out and saying it), then many of these stubborn problems would be alleviated?

That what you're saying?
What I said was, "Dems haven't done anything for their community in decades except give them money with no hope of changing their circumstances." If you are going to give them your vote at the least hold them accountable, which isn't even remotely close to the same thing as vote Republican but thanks for trying infer crap I didn't write.

You vote because you think government can help, and it can, and we as Americans have a moral responsibility to ensure everyone in this country wins (and f*ck the rest of the world). My fellow citizens have had a problem for a VERY long time now and enough is enough. They get the votes and do nothing to help the community which is the definition of being taken advantage of. The same old crap isn't working so lets stop this never ending treadmill and fix it already. If you are going to vote then hold them accountable because their actions, both parties, have not met the standards they themselves set through their words.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:03 AM

148 posts, read 137,616 times
Quote:
Intolerance is the minority in the Republican party and the same can be said about the Democratic party. Things like deindustrialization have hit black communities far harder than any other group. That is the biggest target the Republicans have been trying to fight against since the financial collapse, bring jobs back home. The Republicans want to end trade deals which will bring jobs home while the Democrats want to expand trade but they want to make it harder for companies to hide tax dollars, which needs to be done but it completely ignores the real issue.
But it's a very vocal and very loud portion and the Republicans are catering to that portion with bathroom laws, promising to nominate SC judges who "won't redefine marriage", rounding up all the Muslims and Latinos, etc.

Right now how many jobs illegal immigrants "steal" from unskilled black workers is unclear. Bringing manufacturing jobs sounds great. It's likely that most don't believe that those jobs will actually come to their communities. People in the midst of poverty do not think long term, so some theoretical policy that will bring jobs back at some point in the future does not appeal to them. You know what they do understand...higher minimum wage, which Republicans vote against.

Quote:
And you ignoring the facts is my entire point, there is a systemic problem and the left has done nothing to address it but that minority group still votes that way. Black poverty level in 2013 was 25.2% and in 2014 was up 1% to 26.2%. Compared to white poverty of 10% and 10.1% in the same years the black poverty rate is 12% higher than any other race group. A shocking 12% of the black population earns less than half of the poverty level, compared to 5.6% white and 4.6% non-Hispanic white. Only 51% earn more than double the poverty level, compared to 70% of whites and 75% of non-Hispanic whites. As for median income for all races was $53,657 in 2014 and for the black community is only $35,398.

White high school graduation rates are at 87%, 2013-2014 school year, while black high school graduation rates are 14% lower at 73%, the only lower group is the Native American population at 70%.

You keep thinking there isn't a problem and keep pushing that line for those votes though.
And conservatives will tell you that all of those statistics are due to the "failure of black culture". Attempts to discuss the historical policies and conditions that allowed these gaps to exist is met with "stop playing the race card" or " black victimhood".

Voter participation increases with income. So the black people voting against Republican policy aren't the ones getting the freebies and the handouts as our conservative friends like to think. As long as the intolerant voice of the GOP is the loudest, they will continue to have difficulty converting minority voters.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:12 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,338,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Black Americans Rallying to "Presidential" Donald Trump! ⋆ The Constitution

Interesting article. More jobs with Trump but only more riots from Hillary.
Trump won't get 15% of blacks to support him. I thought he could get it to 10-12% but that seems unlikely -- he may even get <5%.

That said, an articulate well-spoken conservative GOP candidate can make progress with black, hispanic, and Asian voters. It would have been much harder to portray Cruz as a bigot, though the media would have tried. Someone like that would be a good start.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:23 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,739 times
Quote:
And you ignoring the facts is my entire point, there is a systemic problem and the left has done nothing to address it but that minority group still votes that way. Black poverty level in 2013 was 25.2% and in 2014 was up 1% to 26.2%.
I think understanding trends is important for evaluating progress... but the data for just one year's change doesn't really tell us much. Which source are you using and how has that number changed over the course of the entire administration?

Old 08-20-2016, 07:28 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,120,173 times
Quote:

Speaking as a liberal, I say conservatives can have the black community. I don't want them.

What exactly does the black community have to offer? 73% birth out of wedlock, lowest test scores, highest poverty rate, overwhelming support for bigoted legislations like prop 8, highest crime and incarceration rates, etc.

I'm sick and tired of the PC police within the liberal movement telling us to coddle the black community. It's time we should tell them to shape up or shut up. Or better yet, migrate over to the republican side.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:39 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,962,372 times
Quote:
Basically. I don't understand the draw of the black community to the Democratic party other than the Republicans seem to practice intolerance and preach hate; get off abortion and gay issues already they are killing the party and the country. Full control of either party is a death sentence for this country so get your crap together already. The Dems haven't done anything for their community in decades except give them money with no hope of changing their circumstances. I am all for fixing the problems facing low income communities with the money I worked hard to earn but those policies aren't put forward by either party; harsher punishments for violent and gang crimes including the death sentence would be a strong deterrent but I'm all for ending criminal's lives.

I am a wealthy white guy but I grew up very poor, drive by shootings on my neighbors were common, and got here with a high school diploma and a strong work ethic. Even I know those same opportunities that made it so I will never have to work another day in my life at 31 simply don't exist for the poorest communities in this country.
Oh, you don't see a draw to the Democratic Party when the Republican Party is bent upon passing laws that disenfranchise black votes and engage in voter suppression?

As you, AZ Manager, said, "you are a wealthy white guy." As such, you like the Republicans because they promise you tax-cuts and want to cut programs that help the middle class and poor.

Colin Powell said, the Republican Park has a “dark vein of intolerance.”

Powell said on Meet the Press “I’m not calling the party racist ... there’s some in the party who practice a level of intolerance that is not good for the party and is not consistent with American values.”

Blacks also trust the federal government more than corporations and state governments, and Republicans believe the opposite. Blacks have a history of states curtailing their rights, blocking their advancement and failing to protect them.

Federal courts struck down separate but equal schools and federal troops enforced it. Federal civil rights legislation passed to ensure blacks’ American citizenship birthright.

A states’ rights, weak federal government party platform is a tough sell to a people with a horrendous history under states’ rights.

Republicans, however, can keep deluding themselves that it’s free stuff that blacks want.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:02 AM

25,970 posts, read 22,154,119 times
I always think how bigoted of anyone to think that blacks have any different needs than the rest of Americans. Skin color does not affect one's need for 1. Security 2. Jobs (although blacks will suffer most from amnesty being granted and from illegal aliens taking their jobs) 3. Security (again, even more a concern in some black neighborhoods) 4. Healthcare

If anything, where Trump is stronger than Clinton, the blacks would have a greater concern.

As "Diamond and Silk" say "a handup not a handout". Of course, those that look down on blacks see them wanting a handout and can't possibly understand anything beyond that mindset.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:02 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,816,126 times
Quote:

The black people among the 25% in poverty typically don't vote. Most of the black voters come from the higher income groups. That's why the whole "oh my god democrats don't do anything for those poor downtrodden blacks why do they vote for them" argument doesn't work. The fact that's it's also usually delivered in a condescending manner that implies black people are stupid and lazy ("wanting free stuff", "plantation mentality", etc) doesn't help.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 48,001,428 times
At least Trump cares about people. All people. When did Obama ever care about people? Never. Our enemies, maybe, but certainly not Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections