Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

...is lying BIG LEAGUE about the actual financial health of his many enterprises.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/us...=headline&_r=0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 09:50 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...is lying BIG LEAGUE about the actual financial health of his many enterprises.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/us...=headline&_r=0

Another NYT hit piece, aimed at the uninformed masses. All it talks about are the loans, without taking into account the assets. The real estate business is completely different than owning a company like IBM. As a small real estate investor, I can tell you that the more "debt" I have access to, the more money I make. That goes with the territory. If I owe $1M on a property worth $2M, sure, I am a million dollars in debt, but I also own a million dollars in assets. For this disengenuous article to cite loan after loan without including the value of the assets, makes me believe that the author only wrote the article to bash Trump.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:17 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Another NYT hit piece, aimed at the uninformed masses. All it talks about are the loans, without taking into account the assets. The real estate business is completely different than owning a company like IBM. As a small real estate investor, I can tell you that the more "debt" I have access to, the more money I make. That goes with the territory. If I owe $1M on a property worth $2M, sure, I am a million dollars in debt, but I also own a million dollars in assets. For this disengenuous article to cite loan after loan without including the value of the assets, makes me believe that the author only wrote the article to bash Trump.
You are not his target audience.
He needs those who have no experience on the subject that will see him as an expert.
They will buy into his opinion and not question it. They don't know how to question it.
It is a similar tactic used in economics to present a flawed theory as proof to whatever position they are selling. Write the theory to fit. Convince people it works and provide only the data that supports it working.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:07 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Yes, the target audience is the hopelessly uninformed. You know, the kind of people that don't know the difference between income, and other types of revenue. The ones that can be conned into believing that if you don't pay income tax, you aren't paying any taxes at all.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:13 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Leverage cuts both ways. Look at what happened during the mortgage crisis. I also think one of the important things to understand is not just how much he owes, but who does he owe it to.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:27 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Leverage cuts both ways. Look at what happened during the mortgage crisis. I also think one of the important things to understand is not just how much he owes, but who does he owe it to.
Yet Trump didn't go under in the biggest crash since the great depression. Why, because it isn't about how much you owe (what banks you owe have no baring on anything) it's all about cash flow. As long as you structure your deals to make sure you generate more than you owe every month, how much you owe is irrelevant.

You seem to be one of the target audience the hit piece is trying to hook with this nonsense.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:31 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Did any of you (including OP) even read the article? Your posts indicate that you did not.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:31 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Sure, but even during the mortgage crisis, if you are smart, you get through. I changed strategy from flips to rentals at that time, and it was like switching from extra income to extra retirement money. And sure, he owes money to people he rails against, but he is still railing against them. He still has to pay them back.

And it's business. Short of the taliban or ISIS or the like, I'll take money from any credible lender that wants to give it to me.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:37 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Yet Trump didn't go under in the biggest crash since the great depression. Why, because it isn't about how much you owe (what banks you owe have no baring on anything) it's all about cash flow. As long as you structure your deals to make sure you generate more than you owe every month, how much you owe is irrelevant.

You seem to be one of the target audience the hit piece is trying to hook with this nonsense.
Sounds like a person, who spends more money then they have, to maintain a lavish lifestyle, surving on havings lots of credit card debt and having just enough income to pay minimum balances on the card. Just on a bigger scale.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:38 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post

There are many ways to not go under, including taking on more debt.

What I took from the article was that the current reporting requirements weren't designed to handle someone with financial dealings as complicated as Trump's. That's not Trump's fault. However, it's still important that we understand what conflicts of interest are present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections