Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 11:33 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Since Trumps plans have not changed in say EVER why would last night change anything? These people were not voting for him anyway. If they were, last night would not have changed their minds. He said the same thing he has been saying for over a year.
Missed the statements he made to Hannity?

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/08...igration-laws/

Of course a leopard never really does change its spots, so it was just a matter of time before he returned to his extreme stance.

So much for that outreach effort.
It lasted, what, less than two weeks?

Old 09-01-2016, 11:35 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,441,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Their votes matter. That's why Mr. Sweet Potato went to Mexico yesterday--to try and garner some votes in the Hispanic community. But like everything else he does, he did it all spur-of-the-moment, screwed it up, looked like a doofus, and lost voters.

But, who cares, right?
one vote? Yeah who cares.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:36 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Missed the statements he made to Hannity?

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/08...igration-laws/

Of course a leopard never really does change its spots, so it was just a matter of time before he returned to his extreme stance.

So much for that outreach effort.
It lasted, what, less than two weeks?
It's called "outreach" to enforce our current laws/immigration laws. Apparently you have a problem with that tigerlily24. Did your parents teach you/do you teach your kids to pick/choose what laws/rules they like to follow and ignore the rest because it serves their own little world? Rules/laws that negatively effect people......eh, why bother, heck with others. It's all about "me me me", right?

Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
now reports are saying at least 15 out of the 30 members of Trump's National Hispanic Advisory Counsel are stepping down, including the person who sent the email seen in this tweet.

http://twitter.com/kyledcheney/statu...53267196530688

Old 09-01-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
now reports are saying at least 15 out of the 30 members of Trump's National Hispanic Advisory Counsel are stepping down, including the person who sent the email seen in this tweet.

http://twitter.com/kyledcheney/statu...53267196530688
At least it's now very clear to me which one's favor breaking the law/want amnesty for illegal aliens and which are for a nations right to enforce their own laws.

How long have you been a pick and choose law person emm74? Like votes for like as they say. Heck with everyone else who had a son/daughter/father/mother killed by an illegal alien, right emm74, because "I'm with her" and that's all that matters. Do you have kids? Is this what you teach them, pick and choose what rules/laws they follow is ok and the heck with everyone else who is effected in a most negative way by enabling those who break the laws? Is this what your parents taught you?

What a selfish nation we have with people picking/choosing the laws they feel should or shouldn't be enforced and voting/enabling people who feel the same. And those leaders when in office swear they will uphold/enforce the nations laws and the constitution. Selfish people elect selfish "leaders". Case and point.

The moral compass is beyond broke in this nation. Very sad.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:50 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,290,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Since Trumps plans have not changed in say EVER why would last night change anything? These people were not voting for him anyway. If they were, last night would not have changed their minds. He said the same thing he has been saying for over a year.
They had a private meeting with Trump where his comments led them to believe he was modifying his position over deportation. Encouraged by that, a number of Hispanic Republicans, such as Anguilar and Monty, defended Trump last week. After last night, they realize that they were misled and are withdrawing their support.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
It's called "outreach" to enforce our current laws/immigration laws. Apparently you have a problem with that tigerlily24. Did your parents teach you/do you teach your kids to pick/choose what laws/rules they like to follow and ignore the rest because it serves their own little world? Rules/laws that negatively effect people......eh, why bother, heck with others. It's all about "me me me", right?
Funny.

Just like your authoritarian, big-daddy figure, turn to personal attacks when presented with inconvenient truths.

I know exactly what sort of man Trump is and has always been. The rules and regulations only apply to others, not to him.
I am sure that the irony of ranting about "me me me" while defending a man that publicly cheated on his wife would be entirely lost on you.

That anyone would defend anything that he says or does speaks to a certain mindset that seems to need and want the protection of the bully in the schoolyard.

People can pretend all they want that it's about "laws/rules" but it is patently obvious what it is really about.
It's about the continued desire of some people to maintain the sort of primacy that causes people to shrug when white rapists are allowed to forgo prison because it would 'ruin their college aspirations."

And no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:09 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Funny.

Just like your authoritarian, big-daddy figure, turn to personal attacks when presented with inconvenient truths.

I know exactly what sort of man Trump is and has always been. The rules and regulations only apply to others, not to him.
I am sure that the irony of ranting about "me me me" while defending a man that publicly cheated on his wife would be entirely lost on you.

That anyone would defend anything that he says or does speaks to a certain mindset that seems to need and want the protection of the bully in the schoolyard.

People can pretend all they want that it's about "laws/rules" but it is patently obvious what it is really about.
It's about the continued desire of some people to maintain the sort of primacy that causes people to shrug when white rapists are allowed to forgo prison because it would 'ruin their college aspirations."

Yup. The Trump motto: "Make America White Again".

Ken

Old 09-01-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Funny.

Very rich coming from a hillary supporter who if you/I/other "little people" did what she did by breaking the rules on her homebrew email server and sending/receiving classified info would be in jail by now. And at the very least would lose access to classified info/briefings. Or fined. Etc.

As for the fidelity angel, a "woman" who stuck with a guy who embarrassed her on the world stage by cheating on her in the WH of all places. Apparently that is "lost on you".

The rest of your post sounds racist/non-sequitur and simply OT to my point as you can't address the topic at hand.....following the rule of law so you duck/dodge/weave like a politician because you can't defend it. My entire points were about enforcing the law, nothing to do about race, religion, etc. You're an "I'm with her" regardless, we got it. Like votes for like. We got that loud and clear.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:12 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Of course the game is about gaining votes.

But if he wanted to "garner some votes in the hispanic community", he would have gave an amnesty speech in Phoenix for illegals, wouldn't he? He didn't do this so your point is not valid. He stated his view to prevent illegals, drugs, money, guns, etc crossing the border each way that benefits each country. Doesn't this seem valid to you? Or are you for anarchy, a candidate who likes to pick and choose what current laws to ignore because it suits their selfish political bought off agenda? Do you have any care/concern/compassion for the parents who lost their kids to illegal aliens, get hooked on heroin that is sweeping our nation that crosses up over the mex border, etc? You could go up to Kate Stinle's parents and the 1000's of others who lost their kids/moms/dads/friends to illegals and tell them trump is an idiot for wanting to enforce strongly our current border laws? I sure hope not.

Come on marlow....I know you're the "I'm with her" club and justify everything she does as wonderful and trump is the devil/everything he does is terrible but I sure hope you never have a son/daughter/loved one get killed by an illegal alien like. Or get hooked on heroin that crosses over our border. Perhaps(I sure hope!) you might have a different view and get off the political "my man/woman is great!" selfish ideological soapbox.

Let me put it bluntly......for people to act in the way many are for someone who wants to enforce our current immigration/border laws tells me the type of person they are. Beyond selfish. People who probably pick and choose what laws they favor in their own lives and the heck with everyone else how it impacts those negatively. Very selfish but that's the country we live in. Simple enforce our border/immigration laws and many people get flustered. Me Me Me. Amazing.
OK--let's be clear. This thread is about "Hispanic surrogates withdrawing support of Trump" and I was responding to a poster who said, "who cares?" It's clear that Trump cares, or he would have had no reason to go to Mexico yesterday.

Trump is in a difficult position. His main issue has been immigration since the get-go and he has taken a hard line stance against it, with his talk of building a wall and, at times, rounding up and deporting 11 million people. His rhetoric has often been harsh and insulting. That approach won him a lot of support from people who believe his ideas for immigration enforcement are sound. However, that demographic is not enough to win him the election and in the course of repeating his ideas on immigration, he has alienated many people, including Hispanic voters, who are offended by his comments and ideas.

But any time he starts "going soft" on immigration to attract Hispanics and other voters who he has alienated, he runs the risk of losing his core support. Even here on C-D, when it looked like he was backing off the wall, several posters said they'd stay home and not vote if he did that. Yesterday I think he tried to both appeal to Hispanics by meeting with Pena Nieto and then reassure the faithful at his rally in Phoenix. But apparently, the Hispanics aren't buying it.

I am not an anarchist and I feel strongly for any parent who has lost a child to violence, regardless of the immigration status of the perpetrator. Undoubtedly, some people are picked up for immigration violations and then released pending their deportation hearing and it doesn't surprise me that some commit crimes in the interim. But I'm fairly certain that the way it works is when someone is picked up for an offense, if it appears they are here illegally, they are first tried in state or federal court, sentenced, serve their time and are then deported. I'm all in favor of that. No one is willy-nilly releasing violent offenders to prey on innocent people. Do people slip through the cracks? Of course. And if Trump wants to hire more border patrol agents, prosecutors, detention center personnel, etc., I'm in favor of that, too.

Hillary is not my first choice for president, but Trump is my dead last choice. I believe that he is totally unqualified and lacks the temperament to be president. You seem like a reasonable person and I have a hard time believing that you're comfortable with the Trump rhetoric.

Drugs and violence are one part of the illegal immigration problem but there are others. Presumably there are 11 million illegal immigrants here and a great number of them are working. That is a significant number with a big impact on our economy and more so in the communities where they are employed. Ask employers and landlords in those areas how they feel about their employees being deported and what it would mean for them and their communities. Ask them what they would charge for their products and services and then decide if you're willing to pay that price. What effect would the rising prices have on our poor communities? What about small businesses in the area?

It's a difficult question with no easy answers. Those who respond by saying "build a wall" or "deport them all" simply have not considered all the ramifications. Or they are the ones hoping for anarchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections