Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 07:29 AM
JRR

8,247 posts, read 5,764,548 times

Advertisements

I feel sorry for the guy with the way that it happened. But you would have to pretty much be living in a cave not to know what is happening in Aleppo. The picture of that small boy who was dazed and bloody was on the front page of all the newspapers and on all the news shows. And the hospitals there being bombed have been in the news a lot lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 07:31 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,016,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I feel sorry for the guy with the way that it happened. But you would have to pretty much be living in a cave not to know what is happening in Aleppo. The picture of that small boy who was dazed and bloody was on the front page of all the newspapers and on all the news shows. And the hospitals there being bombed have been in the news a lot lately.
Somewhat agree, but Johnson knew what was going on in Syria, just didn't know the specific town of Allepo in Syria. Still a huge fumble on his part though.

17,429 posts, read 11,444,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Maybe being a pot head for so many years has taken it's toll.

3,298 posts, read 2,488,731 times
I would've told him Aleppo was the fifth Marx Brother.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,608,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I thought the ship had already sailed on being in the debates for him, no?
if that's the case, he's done because he's always said no debate, no chance - that was his only way to make any sort of run -

no Johnson, then Clinton has to get my vote.....

but I think the debate decision for him hasn't been made

Old 09-08-2016, 07:34 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,016,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
if that's the case, he's done because he's always said no debate, no chance - that was his only way to make any sort of run -

Oh ok, I;m sticking with him either way, I'll have to go research the debate deadline for the 15%.

I'm more concerned with him getting the 5% popular vote so the Libertarian party can have a stronger showing in 2020 since they will get the matching FEC funds if they hit that 5% mark. To me the money is more important than the debates hi year.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Oh ok, I;m sticking with him either way, I'll have to go research the debate deadline for the 15%.

I'm more concerned with him getting the 5% popular vote so the Libertarian party can have a stronger showing in 2020 since they will get the matching FEC funds if they hit that 5% mark. To me the money is more important than the debates hi year.
okay, that's something to think about - thanks

Old 09-08-2016, 07:39 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,340,229 times
Quote:
Debate is in about 2-3 weeks, so if Johnson does get in, he better be studying national policy, national security questions to be able to play the gotcha game. Might be too late.
Studying? If he just watched the evening news, he would know more than he does. How could anyone running for president not know what Aleppo is? He should not be in the debates--I see why Trump wants him in though. He would make him look smarter (I think--has anyone asked Trump abut Aleppo, or is that considered too difficult a question for him?)

Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Studying? If he just watched the evening news, he would know more than he does. How could anyone running for president not know what Aleppo is? He should not be in the debates--I see why Trump wants him in though. He would make him look smarter (I think--has anyone asked Trump abut Aleppo, or is that considered too difficult a question for him?)
They should have asked him specifics, but rarely do. He's been handled very softly, imo.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,849,658 times
Quote:
That's because our country's political system is a two-party system and it blocks any other avenues for potentially capable individuals from being front and center. Where was Gary Johnson last night - why wasn't he on the stage with the Demo-GOP candidates?

Why isn't Johnson getting national security briefs like the other candidates to allow him to be on a level playing field?
Briefing or not, I find it hard to believe that someone who is the "third candidate" for the Presidency didn't know what Aleppo was. I got the impression from that dialogue that I was more informed on foreign affairs than Johnson. Hasn't he seen/read the news in the past year?

Third parties are very possible, but most third parties lack the structure to make an actual push. If there was a truly organized third party, it would certainly be possible to have a three way race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What is Aleppo? Dog food, obviously. But seriously, I am tired of countries making a mess of what they have then run to the US asking what would we do. My answer? You fix it. The same people who are streaming out of Syria voted 90% for Assad a few years ago.
Your statements show a complete lack of understanding of the situation. The US had a role in what happened in Syria and we have been actively supporting the rebels fighting against Assad. You can argue that we shouldn't have gotten involved, but they didn't "run to us", we "ran to them".

As for Assad's 90%...you're beyond naive if you believe that number is real.

Quote:

The first cut-off is "after Labor Day", so probably by the end of this week. The VP's of the candidates invited to the first debate are invited to the VP debate. The two subsequent debate invitations are made just prior (about two weeks before) the scheduled debate. So, Johnson still has a chance to make it into one of the later debates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections