Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 09:39 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,298,657 times

Advertisements

I just read an article about things Trump has said about 9/11 over the years. Of course, his remarks from earlier this year were included: he told Jeb Bush that the Towers went down on his (Jeb's) brother's reign.

I already knew about these remarks; there is nothing surprising there. What stood out to me today is the word reign. In the United States, a President does not reign - at least, the President is not supposed to reign. A king reigns. A dictator reigns. A president presides, and presiding is not reigning.

A big problem with both the R candidate and the D candidate is that they want to reign, rather than preside. Neither Trump supporters nor Clinton supporters seem too bothered by this. They seem to be okay with the president reigning, as long as it is their candidate who gets to do it.

This is one very good reason to vote for Gary Johnson, even if you don't agree with many of his positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 09:53 PM

1,202 posts, read 642,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I just read an article about things Trump has said about 9/11 over the years. Of course, his remarks from earlier this year were included: he told Jeb Bush that the Towers went down on his (Jeb's) brother's reign.

I already knew about these remarks; there is nothing surprising there. What stood out to me today is the word reign. In the United States, a President does not reign - at least, the President is not supposed to reign. A king reigns. A dictator reigns. A president presides, and presiding is not reigning.

A big problem with both the R candidate and the D candidate is that they want to reign, rather than preside. Neither Trump supporters nor Clinton supporters seem too bothered by this. They seem to be okay with the president reigning, as long as it is their candidate who gets to do it.

This is one very good reason to vote for Gary Johnson, even if you don't agree with many of his positions.
I am 100% good with Trump declaring martial law and being the last president of the USA. For far to long presidents have acted like dictators so why not just make it official!

Old 09-10-2016, 12:12 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,460,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
I am 100% good with Trump declaring martial law and being the last president of the USA. For far to long presidents have acted like dictators so why not just make it official!
Right up until you end up on the wrong side of the equation and he throws you and your family in prison without a trial. Then you'll be whining like a...well, you know.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:59 AM

25,968 posts, read 22,149,005 times
Actually the only one that I have seen "reign" is Obama. He doesn't stand behind our people or our laws and makes up stuff as he goes along. Congress has failed us also. Clean house and elect Trump/Pence and kick all your incumbent politicians to the curb. Start with the most clean slate that we can in rebuilding our country.

As most of us know, we have 3 branches of government. Do I need to post the youtube "School House Rocks" on our government again? We need to hire the right people to get the job done.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:49 AM

59,164 posts, read 27,361,070 times
Quote:

"What stood out to me today is the word reign. In the United States, a President does not reign - at least, the President is not supposed to reign. A king reigns. A dictator reigns. A president presides, and presiding is not reigning."

It certainly is NOT for a lack of trying!

Tell that to Obama, "I have pen and a phone"

Then we have the Executive Orders and Executive Memorandums

"In Obama we have a president willing push boundaries on social and economic issues when it comes to legislating without Congress, a president who taunts Congress with a “We Can’t Wait” web page."

"As of the end of 2015, President Obama had issued 242 executive orders according to the Federal Register office, 29 of them in 2015. The White House press office lists an even greater number that includes some not published in the Federal Register. Despite being the most mentioned in policy debate, executive orders are not (yet) the fountain from which most big decrees issue, rather, presidential memoranda are where the real action is.
USA Today called presidential memoranda “Executive orders by another name” that are “not numbered” and “not indexed,” Memoranda may or may not be published, depending on a president’s determination of “general applicability and legal effect.” That makes it tricky to count them."

"Some of what transpires today appears without precedent, as even the Washington Post characterized Obama’s unilateral executive action on immigration as one that “flies in the face of congressional intent.”

Forbes Welcome

"February 11, 2016 5:27PM

Obama’s Abysmal Record Before the Supreme Court

I’ve written exhaustively about this administration’s sheer statistical failure at the Supreme Court. It has the worst record of any modern presidency, whether you count in absolute won-loss – where the solicitor general’s office struggles to get to 50 percent, against a historical norm of 70 percent – or by unanimous losses alone."

"In other words, Obama has lost unanimously twice as often as Bush and 1.5 times as often as Clinton. Obama also passed Bush’s 8-year total in less than 5 years.

"The Justice Department’s unanimous loss rate from 2012 to 2014 was especially bad – 13 cases in 30 months – almost three times Bush’s overall rate and almost twice Clinton’s (and that doesn’t count amicus litigating positions with unanimous losses)."

Obama's Abysmal Record Before the Supreme Court | Cato @ Liberty

Old 09-10-2016, 11:08 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,298,657 times
Clinton and Trump both want to reign, as much or more than Obama has been. What troubles me is that that is not what people object to. People object to a king whose policies don't agree with their own - they don't object to the very idea of a king.

Use of the word doesn't even seem to bother people. Have Americans come to expect the president to reign? Is there that much ignorance of history and of American government? (Obviously, yes.)

Old 09-10-2016, 11:29 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,934,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
You're serious aren't you? You would prefer to live under a dictator? Please explain how life would be better for you then.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:58 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,465,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You're serious aren't you?
yep. it's not the first time they've made that proclamation.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:01 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,338,349 times
Quote:
Clinton and Trump both want to reign, as much or more than Obama has been. What troubles me is that that is not what people object to. People object to a king whose policies don't agree with their own - they don't object to the very idea of a king.

Use of the word doesn't even seem to bother people. Have Americans come to expect the president to reign? Is there that much ignorance of history and of American government? (Obviously, yes.)
Yes -- great point. Someone once told me he was OK with a 'benevolent dictator.'

Um, no thanks!

If we are to make America great again, we'd return to what made America great in the first place -- limited government and maximizing individual liberty. Don't see this happening anytime soon, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections