Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Gary Johnson be allowed in the 9/26/16 Debate?
Yes 65 61.32%
No 41 38.68%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:49 AM

1,327 posts, read 724,631 times

Advertisements

I'm happily voting for Trump but I think Johnson, if he's indeed on the ballot in all 50 states, has the right to be there.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:51 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,673,795 times
The only reason Johnson would be at the debate and the main reason Trump supporters want him there is to run interference for Donald Trump.
They're afraid that Trump will blow up like a wet pinata without a teleprompter there to keep him on message. The more questions thrown at Johnson, the less hard questions thrown at Trump.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:55 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,989,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The only reason Johnson would be at the debate and the main reason Trump supporters want him there is to run interference for Donald Trump.
They're afraid that Trump will blow up like a wet pinata without a teleprompter there to keep him on message. The more questions thrown at Johnson, the less hard questions thrown at Trump.
No, people like myself will never EVER vote for Trump or Clinton, we deserve the right to hear from someone else to make sure that we feel strongly enough about that candidate to vote for them. Additionally a 3rd party can change the conversation, add additional perspectives, and introduce different ideas.

This has nothing to do with me being "afraid" of Trump or Clinton. I'm not one of those idiots that thinks if I vote for Johnson its really a vote for some other candidate.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:58 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,723,727 times
There's a let Gary debate petition that has 800,000+ signatures and I think their goal is 850,000 as they need to turn them in soon. Even people who think they hate Libertarians say they should be included. It seems a great many think the qualification for debate entry should be 5%-10% in polls, or perhaps better, being on the ballot in all 50 states. Polls can be flawed, like when CNN didn't include 18-34 year olds %, when about 35% of them are for Gary Johnson. Valid signatures I think are less flawed? Best wishes, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
“Allow us to make our case to the American people. If, in the polls that follow, we fail to meet that 15% standard, we’ll make no further efforts for inclusion in subsequent debates,”

He is on all 50 States no other 3rd candidate can claim that yet. On the cusp of 15%. Has backings of political figures.

Only asking for one debate and see where it goes. He could bust and does nothing for him. Could be the Debate that could win him the Presidency.

Think it will happen?

Old 09-14-2016, 12:09 PM

25,973 posts, read 22,164,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
They have already been "voted out" by their party. Nobody has "voted out" the third party candidate that we are talking about here. He hasn't had the same opportunity.
Agree. There are rules, not that rules mean squat to those that support Hillary. It appears that Trump supporters, including myself, would welcome third party candidates as it looks like they are our future sooner or later. We aren't afraid Johnson will devour our candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I think Trump's supporters are fine with a 3rd party candidate or two. Trump can handle more than one person coming at him without blacking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
No, people like myself will never EVER vote for Trump or Clinton, we deserve the right to hear from someone else to make sure that we feel strongly enough about that candidate to vote for them. Additionally a 3rd party can change the conversation, add additional perspectives, and introduce different ideas.

This has nothing to do with me being "afraid" of Trump or Clinton. I'm not one of those idiots that thinks if I vote for Johnson its really a vote for some other candidate.
As long as it is within the rules OR if they vote to change the rules, I see no problem with it. As we saw with the minor league of the primaries, 3 or 4 is very manageable when it comes to a debate. Considering the length of the time allotted for the debate, there is more than enough time to spread around.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:12 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
“Allow us to make our case to the American people. If, in the polls that follow, we fail to meet that 15% standard, we’ll make no further efforts for inclusion in subsequent debates,”

He is on all 50 States no other 3rd candidate can claim that yet. On the cusp of 15%. Has backings of political figures.

Only asking for one debate and see where it goes. He could bust and does nothing for him. Could be the Debate that could win him the Presidency.

Think it will happen?
Rules are rules.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:16 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,005,840 times
Ever since the League of Women Voters gave up the handling of Presidential Debates all the debates to follow were controlled by the Dems and Repub parties, so do you think that there just might be a little bias in those debates? I think it would be a good idea to have Johnson on that debate stage, lets give the American electorate another perspective, what are the Dems and Repubs afraid of? The two major parties have held a duopoly long enough, it's time we allow others to have their say.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:17 PM

25,973 posts, read 22,164,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Rules are rules.
Not anymore! This appears to be the one time that rules seem to matter to Hillary's supporters.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:19 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,907,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I also want Trump to be exposed. The spotlight will be on him, not like before when he had to share the stage with 8-11 people.
Very true. Trump just doesn't have the substance or rhetorical ability to win a one-on-one debate for 90 minutes. He's going to get drilled and I expect him to wing it, just like he did at the forum a few weeks ago.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:20 PM

27,672 posts, read 16,166,190 times
I'd like to see Stein/Johnson debate.. that would be funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections