Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 12:54 PM

68,410 posts, read 54,706,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
It doesn't matter if you care for it or not. It doesn't even matter that some may see it as a direct contradiction of Matthew 6:5.

The ONLY thing that matters is the 1st Amendment specifically defines his actions as protected. The state may NOT rule against his actions. Period.
Actually, the First Amendment only mentions Congress, NOT the state.

And please tell us, how many do you think would be defending the man had he thrown down a prayer rug and faced Mecca for his little prayer? Or is the belief that only certain religions are protected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
There could NOT be a more blatant example of misunderstanding the 1st amendment.

The 1st amendment defines the protection AGAINST the GOV'T to be allowed TO LIVE OUT YOUR FAITH IN YOUR EVERY DAY LIFE.
'
That is PRECISELY what the first amendment was written to protect.

Your misinterpretation is EXACTLY why my initial statement was SPOT ON.
There are many, especially those on the left, who want to confine religious expression to inside the walls of the church.
Except of course the First Amendment only prohibits Congress from making laws about religion, NOT the state.

So just WHO is it misunderstanding the First Amendment here?

HINT: Not me.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:57 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,574,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Actually, the First Amendment only mentions Congress, NOT the state.

And please tell us, how many do you think would be defending the man had he thrown down a prayer rug and faced Mecca for his little prayer? Or is the belief that only certain religions are protected?

That act of throwing down a prayer rug and facing Mecca IS A PROTECTED RIGHT. PERIOD

Old 10-07-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
That act of throwing down a prayer rug and facing Mecca IS A PROTECTED RIGHT. PERIOD
Not from state law it isn't.

I don't care if your religion requires you to cut the head off a chicken and dance in a circle spilling its blood, but I don't expect to have to watch that at a public event.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Except of course the First Amendment only prohibits Congress from making laws about religion, NOT the state.

So just WHO is it misunderstanding the First Amendment here?

HINT: Not me.

"The state" = Fed Gov't (whose laws are made by Congress).

That should be self evident because we are talking about the UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION and not some state specific constitution.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Not from state law it isn't.

I don't care if your religion requires you to cut the head off a chicken and dance in a circle spilling its blood, but I don't expect to have to watch that at a public event.
Are you trying to argue that a state may make a law that violates a right defined by the US Constitution?

Old 10-07-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Are you trying to argue that a state may make a law that violates a right defined by the US Constitution?
Are you trying to argue the Constitution defines a right to practice religion on public property?

Besides, IF God is all knowing, and WHAT'S a God if not all knowing, he/she'd know what's in your heart so why the need to make a display?

IMO Matthew hit the nail squarely on the head!

Last edited by burdell; 10-07-2016 at 01:15 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Are you trying to argue the Constitution defines a right to practice religion on public property?

Are you aware that Congress opens EACH AND EVERY session with prayer? Are you aware that the VERY MEN who wrote the separation clause participated and sanctioned this opening prayer?

Are you suggesting that these very men who wrote the 1st amendment were in violation of that 1st amendment?

Old 10-07-2016, 01:13 PM

51,743 posts, read 26,064,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Do I see some hypocrisy there? You talk about religious people getting out of people's bedrooms and you turn about and talk about how immoral Trump and how unfit to be president because he committed adultery?
Hypocrisy? for sure.

But it's church people who have their knickers in a knot about adultery. Not me. Who Trump sleeps with his business and whichever woman he is married to at the time. I don't care.

I just think it is odd that church people are supporting the man. He doesn't seem their type. Pence maybe, but not Trump

I think Trump is unfit to be President because he's incompetent and dangerous. He doesn't know what he is talking about and thinks everybody is as impressed with his B.S. as he is. Even the Taliban have his number.

By the way, my fellow isn't home at night because of something a pastor or a priest said on Sunday. He's here because he knows if isn't, he moves to the back of the line. Just saying.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 10-07-2016 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Besides, IF God is all knowing, and WHAT'S a God if not all knowing, he/she'd know what's in your heart so why the need to make a display?

IMO Matthew hit the nail squarely on the head!

So let's pretend that the whole crux of the matter is the "public event" angle. It is wrong, but for the sake of argument let's say that is the determining factor.

Then explain example #2 from my list (since you pretty much wrote off the whole list by doing a 2 second google search on the 1st one).

For your convenience I will name him again for you:

Oscar Rodriguez Jr. - Retired AF vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections