Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 11:05 AM

13,664 posts, read 9,738,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
... remember "HOPE & CHANGE"?.. and nothing changed.
Some of us actually regard that as the optimal outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 11:06 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,771,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Some of us actually regard that as the optimal outcome.
And a lot of us don't obviously.

But you're right, who benefited the most? The rich got richer and the poor got poorer, and the middle class is disappearing (moving into poverty).

Old 10-12-2016, 11:08 AM

25,599 posts, read 17,334,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The GOP is amidst a civil war right now. Every major conservative newspaper has come out and support Clinton. Republican officials are either denouncing Trump or won't defend him. And yet, somehow, Trump is suppose to unite the country all the while the Republican party is split like never before?
Unite the country?
That's an insane idea! I don't want a country where the pro-life & right-to-life groups claim to be "united" along with the Black Lives Matter and KKK.

I want someone to lead and follow down the law as is written or lead the country in changing the law. And most of us reasonable people would follow such a person.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:09 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You don't get it obviously.

The people voted Obama in... remember "HOPE & CHANGE"?.. and nothing changed. This gave birth the the tea party and still nothing changed. Bernie Sanders and Trump rose both of these candidates representing the people.

Trump is the only one left standing against the status quo, do nothing estabilshment and by fighting he is showing he is not just another politician he's fighting for that change you hoped Obama would accomplish.

This is an election between the people and the status quo.
Between some people and the status quo----not everyone is dissatisfied with the way things are..while problems abound..life is good for most people. They have enough to eat and gainful employment. Their families prosper.

Despite the constant 'doom and gloom' predictions--life is good in these United States, for many, if not most, of our people.

I acknowledge all the problems of the 21st century--But a majority of people..an increasing majority--are tired of the rhetoric of hate and divisiveness.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:10 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times
I'm nominating Horatio Seymour as the worst presidential candidate ever.

"Some men want to be President. Others do not. Seymour apparently despised the thought. He wrote a letter opting out of the race in 1856 when he was the leading candidate for the Democrat ticket. He did it again in 1860, and this time included his desire to not be nominated for Vice President as well. Then, in 1868, he was dragged out of the convention floor before he could voice his displeasure at being nominated. He eventually accepted the nomination, lost to Grant, and later refused election to the Senate in 1880 and declined to run for President as well."

Worst Presidential Nominees of All Time

Old 10-12-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Between some people and the status quo----not everyone is dissatisfied with the way things are..while problems abound..life is good for most people. They have enough to eat and gainful employment. Their families prosper.

Despite the constant 'doom and gloom' predictions--life is good in these United States, for many, if not most, of our people.

I acknowledge all the problems of the 21st century--But a majority of people..an increasing majority--are tired of the rhetoric of hate and divisiveness.
While some people are able to save and invest for retirement, many can not and will either have to work until they drop or live in real poverty. If they are happy with their current life in the rat race with little hope of getting better than by all means vote for Hillary.

You want to call it doom and gloom, I call it truth and reality.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:15 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,073,379 times
The Republican Party has never been very united. The various factions have always struggled to get behind any candidate. Though, the split has never been this fractious and open. No surprise here on current events. Even if the party were solidly behind Mr Trump, and he won, the country is pretty evenly and dramatically split. The Democrat Party is diabolically masterful at forming and enforcing a cohesive front. The idea that either of the major party candidates can lead the country is naive because of the fractious split among us.

It is true that white, traditionalists or conservatives if you prefer, think, view and want the country one way. People of color, including recent immigrants, (last 20 years), along with lgbts think, view and want the country a different way. It is inevitable with current demographic trends that people of color, along with lgbts will get their wish, if they continue in their progressive and liberal mindset. It will be interesting how society looks in say 25 years. Agitating for 'change', whatever the form change takes, is much easier than leading a 'new' society.

For the smugs and snarks and immature among us who will childishly celebrate the inevitable I throw out this challenge; do it better.

The founders put many impediments and hurdles to majority rule in our form and system of government, because they had studied government systems and civilizations over the centuries, becoming wise enough to see the dangers of democracy and majority rule.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:16 AM

6,265 posts, read 5,077,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

As a self-styled conservative, I agree with your points about business and the military; but I find Trump's position to be antithetical to both. Indeed, my main area of opposition to Trump is precisely because I think that he'd be bad for business.

Continuing the parade of "isn't it interesting?", we can agree on crucial issues, and yet take diametrically opposite positions in our perception of which candidate would advance or retard those issues.
Agreed. It IS interesting. And our conversations re: how and what would move this country forward (and even our ABILITY to have those same conversations) is one of the things that makes this country so exceptional. I respect differing opinions as long as those differing opinions are presented in a respectful way.

It's the accusations "you're stupid, you're a racist, you're a woman-hater, you're a xenophobe, you're an Islamophobe" over-generalized, deliberately demeaning, diatribe that shuts down conversation, entrenches positions, and shuts down the hearing of opposing viewpoints (ie: the lazy way to discuss and debate that is common from both sides) that are a complete waste of time on this board. Mostly I don't even bother anymore.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post

The founders put many impediments and hurdles to majority rule in our form and system of government, because they had studied government systems and civilizations over the centuries, becoming wise enough to see the dangers of democracy and majority rule.
And in studying government systems and civilizations over the centuries they understood that the source of information MUST be geared toward being a watchdog over those in power, not a political arm of those in power.

When the media becomes a political arm and will not hold those in power accountable it is a "very" dangerous time for the people.

The problem is that people didn't learn the history of nations of brutal regimes and how they came into power. And because they are ignorant of history, they don't understand you don't need a military take over when you have a media willing to do their bidding. At first the power will do things people like but give anyone too much power they will abuse it.

Last edited by petch751; 10-12-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

It's the accusations "you're stupid, you're a racist, you're a woman-hater, you're a xenophobe, you're an Islamophobe" over-generalized, deliberately demeaning, diatribe that shuts down conversation[/color], entrenches positions, and shuts down the hearing of opposing viewpoints (ie: the lazy way to discuss and debate that is common from both sides) that are a complete waste of time on this board. Mostly I don't even bother anymore.
Attempting to demean people (through name calling) is an attempt to shut down free speech of someone who they don't agree with so we can not listen opposing views and then make up our own minds.

I just saw a video made by a black women who admitted she wouldn't even listen to Trump. At some point she did listen to him, which led to more listening and she says, she likes what he is saying and is now supporting Trump. This is what the left is afraid will happen so they use hate words to diminish the opposition.

Last edited by petch751; 10-12-2016 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections