Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:29 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times

Advertisements

I ask this because....its a pretty real possibility at the moment. 538 puts it at a shockingly high 10%.

The Odds Of An Electoral College-Popular Vote Split Are Increasing | FiveThirtyEight

Honestly I can't imagine a worse possibility. Its bad enough that one of these two will win. but if they win without the popular mandate its going to be ugly.

Trump supporters will of course go on a rampage about it being rigged, he has pretty much set that argument up.

But Clinton supporters have a reasonable argument about the actions of Comey as well. Currently theres no real "evidence" there, just lots of innuendo. This would be a perfect example of why the actions of Comey are a violation of the Hatch act, and why the guidelines should have been followed.

What a nightmare. I hope whomever wins gets both the popular and electoral votes. The alternative will be ugly. The only real comfort is that Clinton would probably pull a Gore, and concede defeat. I dont think Trump would. What a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 05:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
If Clinton wins the electoral college vote, she wins. Civics 101.

As far as crimes go, there is no innuendo, just facts. She emailed classified material via that server. She also destroyed public records.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:39 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If Clinton wins the electoral college vote, she wins. Civics 101.
Thats not the topic really. I think most here understand that completely.

The concern I have is the resulting unrest that may occur. The violence, and even more entrenched partisanship.

Also the most likely split would be Trump winning the electoral, and losing the popular I believe. Not the other way around.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

The concern I have is the resulting unrest that may occur. The violence, and even more entrenched partisanship.

Also the most likely split would be Trump winning the electoral, and losing the popular I believe. Not the other way around.
I have a feeling the midterms are not going to be better. Whoever wins next week, they're performance is going to be evaluated in 2018. I still think Hillary is going to win, but I'm starting to have my doubts. I have a feeling whomever wins is gonna win squeaking by now. There's too many variables, and we have the two worst candidates running, in possibly ever

Old 11-01-2016, 06:05 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I don't know. I would imagine that if it's Trump you guys will spend four years claiming the President is illegitimate, photoshopping pictures of him and a monkey, applauding a movie plot which has him being assassinated and then spend the next 20 years claiming that he really didn't win even though every recount done by multiple organizations showed he did. Of course, if he takes any action based on long-standing information from the current Administration he'll be accused of lying. Depending on what the action is you guys will even claim he's a war criminal.

Not that something I described has ever happened before or anything.

For the record, I'm leaving my ballot for President blank next Tuesday.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb What if Trump or Clinton wins the elctoral vote, while losing the popular vote?

Sixteen years ago, that's exactly what happened.

Gore won the votes and Dubya won the electorals.

While disappointed, Gore conceded eloquently and the left didn't threaten secession or revolution.

Already the righties are threatening both.

This is great entertainment!

Old 11-01-2016, 06:06 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:

If trump wins expect violence.

If Hillary wins, pisses off people no violence.

That's how is it other than the whine of stolen elections blah blah.

Last edited by T-310; 11-01-2016 at 06:46 AM..

Old 11-01-2016, 06:14 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:

First, I think the reverse is more likely. The electoral map is favorable for Hillary.

Second, I think you may be right about the unrest, but this is unfortunate. The only reason unrest would follow is because people are ignorant of the system. The electoral college is the way this ship has been sailed for centuries, and it isn't unfair to anyone. The only people who will claim otherwise are people who are upset their guy lost. If the roles were reversed, they would be telling the unruly mob to go read a civics book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I have a feeling the midterms are not going to be better. Whoever wins next week, they're performance is going to be evaluated in 2018. I still think Hillary is going to win, but I'm starting to have my doubts. I have a feeling whomever wins is gonna win squeaking by now. There's too many variables, and we have the two worst candidates running, in possibly ever
The Rebpublicans are probably going to have a strong mid-term election. They normally have a bit of a mid-term advantage, and there's a chance they could take back the Senate if the Dems get it in this election.

I'm not quite certain why everyone has resolved themselves to the fact that HRC is a historically bad candidate. She's historically unpopular, yes. And she's involved in some controversies of an historic magnitude. But are the policies she's actually going to pursue as President historically bad? I'm not so certain. I think she has some pretty good policies. I wouldn't call her a revolutionary, but she does have some good ideas.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:16 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Bring on the gridlock and infighting, short of collapse it's the best scenario for the ruled classes.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:08 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
I ask this because....its a pretty real possibility at the moment. 538 puts it at a shockingly high 10%.

The Odds Of An Electoral College-Popular Vote Split Are Increasing | FiveThirtyEight

Honestly I can't imagine a worse possibility. Its bad enough that one of these two will win. but if they win without the popular mandate its going to be ugly.

Trump supporters will of course go on a rampage about it being rigged, he has pretty much set that argument up.

But Clinton supporters have a reasonable argument about the actions of Comey as well. Currently theres no real "evidence" there, just lots of innuendo. This would be a perfect example of why the actions of Comey are a violation of the Hatch act, and why the guidelines should have been followed.

What a nightmare. I hope whomever wins gets both the popular and electoral votes. The alternative will be ugly. The only real comfort is that Clinton would probably pull a Gore, and concede defeat. I dont think Trump would. What a mess.
Well, we would have another president with an asterisk besides his/her name. The first one was Dubya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections