Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 12:40 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,880,322 times

Advertisements

He's saying you have to be a citizen to vote.

An illegal alien would not be registered to vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 12:45 PM

15,192 posts, read 12,367,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Fox TV, despite plunging approval figures for MSM in general, was the one network which actually posted a profit for the last financial qtr.

We can say it is the election and in the increased viewership. If that was true, why did CNN et al record negative results?. Is their excessively biased coverage turning away even their most ardent supporters?

For the record, Neil Cavuto is in a class of his own. When Neil did get back from major surgery, the outpouring of support from not just Conservatives and Liberals was testament to how well regarded he is in his profession.

Re: Obama and the illegal immigrant. If anything it was a thinly veiled approval to illegal immigrants to vote. His message will pass through that community like wildfire. For these people new to the nation, what a lesson in doing with the laws of this country, as well you please. Cheap and callous all around for our president to put politics first and foremost even to the detriment of the laws of the land.

As I see it, nothing new for the Obama, he's been putting partisan politics and his policies of discord and division first and foremost, and the laws of the land be damned for the 8 yrs he has been in office.

I guess what smacked me upside the head when I saw this video was the twisting on both the part of the young "dreamer" woman and the Obama of the definition of a "citizen". The woman states that she
considers herself and other millenial undocumented immigrant "dreamers" citizens because they "contribute" , but wonders if she can get into trouble, or her family be deported if she votes. So she's a
citizen and entitled to vote, she fancies, by declaring herself arbitrarily to be a citizen?

And the Obama, of course, doesn't point out to her that as a noncitizen she is not entitled to vote, nor are her undocumented friends, instead, he informs her that she "is a citizen when she votes", and there will be no one coming for her or her family to deport them as a consequence of her voting.

His thumbing his nose at any laws he chooses to disregard couldn't be more flagrant than his demonstration in this video.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:51 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,236,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I watched the video. What a stupid lie.

Why do conservatives insist on succumbing to such foolishness?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
He's saying you have to be a citizen to vote.

An illegal alien would not be registered to vote
You really need to pay attention to the words used in the video.

I had to watch it a few times when I then said "WHAT???" before posting it here in CD.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post

I had to watch it a few times when I then said "WHAT???" before posting it here in CD.
She said if I vote not if illegal immigrants vote.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:02 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,208,183 times
It looked as if what both were saying was dubbed in and possibly edited from other audio. But nevertheless, the POTUS said "when you are a CITIZEN" so how is that in line with the issue that the OP is pushing with this bogus video link?

And what's up with the guy with the emphysema in the audio?

Old 11-06-2016, 01:16 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,500,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post

I listened to the words in the video. The only way one can twist them into the purported claim is if: (1) you're trying to advance a lie as part of your agenda, or (2) you're just not very smart.

Below is what he said. Rodriquez may have been calling illegal aliens as "citizens", but Obama is not saying that.

Further more, Rodriguez's question was: if *I* (a legal citizen) vote but have family members who are undocumented, will the government use me to come after them and deport them?

You probably latched onto his first sentence where he says "when you vote, you are a citizen yourself." He is not saying that anyone who votes somehow becomes considered a citizen; he is saying that by definition of our election process, only citizens vote.

His argument is thus:
1. Citizens are the ones who vote in this nation.
2. There are not processes set up where voting citizens or their family members (regardless of legal status) need to fear retribution for their votes.
3. If you have a family member who is undocumented, they can't vote but you - if you're a citizen - can; therefore, it's even more important that your voice be heard if you think advocacy on behalf of the undocumented is important.

In conclusion: he is encouraging Latino citizens to vote and make their voices heard if they want reform with respect to how undocumented residents are treated.

You may disagree with Obama's opinion on how illegals should be handled, but it is a lie or just a gross misunderstanding to say that he wants illegals to go vote.

Seriously, I think the thing that my define conservatives the most is their lack of reading comprehension and basic logic.

Quote:
RODRIGUEZ: Many of the millennials, Dreamers, undocumented citizens -- and I call them citizens because they contribute to this country -- are fearful of voting. So if I vote, will immigration know where I live? Will they come for my family and deport us?

OBAMA: Not true. And the reason is, first of all, when you vote, you are a citizen yourself. And there is not a situation where the voting rolls somehow are transferred over and people start investigating, et cetera. The sanctity of the vote is strictly confidential in terms of who you voted for. If you have a family member who maybe is undocumented, then you have an even greater reason to vote.

RODRIGUEZ: This has been a huge fear presented especially during this election.

OBAMA: And the reason that fear is promoted is because they don't want people voting. People are discouraged from voting and part of what is important for Latino citizens is to make your voice heard, because you're not just speaking for yourself. You're speaking for family members, friends, classmates of yours in school...

RODRIGUEZ: Your entire community.

OBAMA: ... who may not have a voice. Who can't legally vote. But they're counting on you to make sure that you have the courage to make your voice heard.

Last edited by ambient; 11-06-2016 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: u

Old 11-06-2016, 01:31 PM

19,963 posts, read 12,252,700 times
Quote:
She said if I vote not if illegal immigrants vote.
She voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012, she already knows she can vote.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
She voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012, she already knows she can vote.
She didn't ask can I vote.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:21 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,500,955 times
Quote:
She didn't ask can I vote.
She asked if she (a legal citizen) can vote without fear that the government will track down undocumented friends and family through her vote. That's all.

She did not ask if illegals can vote, nor did Obama say that illegals can or should vote. I laid the evidence and reasoning out for you. Hopefully you have the integrity and intelligence to review and accept it.

You can be against Obama without being for blatant lies.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
She asked if she (a legal citizen) can vote without fear that the government will track down undocumented friends and family through her vote. That's all.

She did not ask if illegals can vote, nor did Obama say that illegals can or should vote. I laid the evidence and reasoning out for you. Hopefully you have the integrity and intelligence to review and accept it.

You can be against Obama without being for blatant lies.
I'm not the one against Obama, I am for him and Clinton. I am the one that pointed out that she said "I" and not illegal aliens.

There seems to be a lot of paranoia and confusion here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections