Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 07:34 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

a surprisingly good article.

Commentary: The unbearable smugness of the press - CBS News
You’d think that Trump’s victory – the one we all discounted too far in advance – would lead to a certain newfound humility in the political press. But of course that’s not how it works. To us, speaking broadly, our diagnosis was still basically correct. The demons were just stronger than we realized.

This is all a “whitelash,” you see. Trump voters are racist and sexist, so there must be more racists and sexists than we realized. Tuesday night’s outcome was not a logic-driven rejection of a deeply flawed candidate named Clinton; no, it was a primal scream against fairness, equality, and progress. Let the new tantrums commence.

That’s the fantasy, the idea that if we mock them enough, call them racist enough, they’ll eventually shut up and get in line. It’s similar to how media Twitter works, a system where people who dissent from the proper framing of a story are attacked by mobs of smugly incredulous pundits. Journalists exist primarily in a world where people can get shouted down and disappear, which informs our attitudes toward all disagreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 07:37 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Amazing this comes from CBS.

They were one of the first who dismissed Trump as not being a "real candidate". Then went on for the next 1.5 years giving credence to every conspiracy theory, make up lie and tabllistic rumor against Trump.

I think we are seeing the begging of the end of real TV news journalism. None of them will be around in 10 years.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:37 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
They know they have an influence judging by the outcomes the last few elections. This current election outcome was just an anomaly to them. The propaganda machine will not stop.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:40 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Great article. Too late. They will not learn. They will just hope we will forget before the next time.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:42 AM

237 posts, read 245,693 times
Some of these morons will NEVER learn. They're the ones with the egos.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:42 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Amazing this comes from CBS.

They were one of the first who dismissed Trump as not being a "real candidate". Then went on for the next 1.5 years giving credence to every conspiracy theory, make up lie and tabllistic rumor against Trump.

I think we are seeing the begging of the end of real TV news journalism. None of them will be around in 10 years.
No surprise at all since CBS is part of the liberal-biased media.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:53 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
The good being done by the MSM is they are available and can be seen and their propaganda exposed as they continue unchanged.
Maybe they can be targeted as a domestic enemy and a threat to national security. That is not protected by the first amendment. They incite discontent and riots feeding the criminals starting the violence on the street.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:01 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
That's why President Trump will give 100% of interviews to Fox

Old 11-10-2016, 08:18 AM

294 posts, read 219,707 times
As a conservative Christian with a big mouth I always have an urge to say something when I have an encounter with any well known crook or liar. Called Charlie Keating a crook to his face 20 years ago.
I want to make a point without being too nasty, my plan is if I meet any liberal troll impersonating a journalist (Stephanopolous, Garrett, Rose etc.... I will address them with a smile and say hey George I used to be a professional liar like you ( I was, worked at car dealer) but God straightened me out.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:25 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
The election thread reads like a battle of CNN/MSNBC vs Fox/Bloomberg during the reporting of results. Flipping between the two channels, I was shocked at how CNN reacted like many of theTrump trashers at the beginning of the ****Official Election Poll**** thread . It was almost as if they didn't report it, it wouldn't be true. Like this entire campaign - if the news reported HRC was doing great or scandal wasn't touching her, maybe it would be true.

A great example is USA Today and the way they reported a study as literally, "Really, You Need a Study for That?" The study was done by a university in the DC burbs on who was the butt of more jokes, Trump or HRC? This story, the way it was reported, as well as the content, demonstrates just how out of touch the media was. I know at one point Colbert became so offensive to me, the channel was changed or was turned off.
Someone actually studied which candidate is the butt of the most late-night show jokes.

I think it's great that we live where protests can occur over an election. My fear is violence and respect for property. I remember the mountains of garbage left in the wake of Obama's celebrators in our national parklands on the Rotunda right after he won in 2008. I don't think it's a big stretch to say the same folks are HRC supporters protesting today.

Many of our HRC supporters disappeared from that thread, once it was apparent Trump won, so most of anything said now is preaching to the choir. This is so reminiscent of 2008, only we've traded off who won, not parties. I remember well, because I was not an Obama supporter, I was called a racist Back then when I was actually a HRC supporter. Lol, just shows you just can't achieve political correctness with some folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections