Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2016, 10:10 AM

504 posts, read 465,117 times

Advertisements

Commentators seem to have decided that this is a wave sweeping politics in one direction, from Austria's re-run presidential election which Hofer is expected to win, through Brexit and Trump to acceptance in France that Le Pen could actually win. And the next stop, the AFD making big gains in Germany.

But how connected really are they?

Very has to be the answer, but in cause more than solution. There can be no doubt that similar discontent is the motor driving the reach for the outsiders everywhere. Immigration, industrial decline, aloof politicians. The same recipe.

Brexit, however is totally different to Trump. More rightwingers backed it than left, but there were many on the left who did also. The chair of the Leave campaign was a Labour MP and not only that, a German. She has a noticeable accent. Whilst immigration was a major concern, this did not extend to any other libertarian issues. Abortion is barely an issue here (save Northern Ireland). Hardly anyone wants to scrap gay marriage. Whilst I am furious over the result, my concerns are mainly economic - I don't feel any other threat (and I'm civil partnered).That said, it was the same demographic who made both Brexit and Trump actual things. Old, poorer, rural, run down towns, less well educated.

Trump certainly loves Brexit. He flew in to Scotland to water his golf course the morning after, and announced on getting out of his plane, that he was delighted to visit a country that had grasped the challenge. Nobody told him Scotland voted 60% remain. There appears to be a bromance between he and the ghastly Nigel Farage, and a lot of Trump's final punchlines were lifted straight from the Leave campaign. "Independence day", for example.

The solutions offered are, actually wildly different. Trump and Le Pen want to be very protectionist and use trade barriers as a major weapon. Brexiters want the complete opposite. There is a large body in that camp who propose dropping ALL trade tariffs to every country whether or not they reciprocate. Utterly insane, but popular. So the "left behind" brigade are united in wanting change. What they are voting for as a means, however, is very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 10:36 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
They are both a response to immigration practices in their nation that negatively impacted the working class, and when those folks feeling the effects tried to express their concerns the politicans dismissed them as ignorant, racist bigots.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:48 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are both a response to immigration practices in their nation that negatively impacted the working class, and when those folks feeling the effects tried to express their concerns the politicans dismissed them as ignorant, racist bigots.
Well.............yeah that's right.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:03 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,261 times
I definitely see the parallels. Democrats underestimated how much their support of Syrian refugees hurt them. I could easily see populist parties making huge gains all across Europe now.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:17 AM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
The common denominator between Brexit and Trump is opposition to the UNs crusade to redistribute the worlds wealth in the name of climate change.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:32 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Commentators seem to have decided that this is a wave sweeping politics in one direction, from Austria's re-run presidential election which Hofer is expected to win, through Brexit and Trump to acceptance in France that Le Pen could actually win. And the next stop, the AFD making big gains in Germany.

But how connected really are they?

Very has to be the answer, but in cause more than solution. There can be no doubt that similar discontent is the motor driving the reach for the outsiders everywhere. Immigration, industrial decline, aloof politicians. The same recipe.

Brexit, however is totally different to Trump. More rightwingers backed it than left, but there were many on the left who did also. The chair of the Leave campaign was a Labour MP and not only that, a German. She has a noticeable accent. Whilst immigration was a major concern, this did not extend to any other libertarian issues. Abortion is barely an issue here (save Northern Ireland). Hardly anyone wants to scrap gay marriage. Whilst I am furious over the result, my concerns are mainly economic - I don't feel any other threat (and I'm civil partnered).That said, it was the same demographic who made both Brexit and Trump actual things. Old, poorer, rural, run down towns, less well educated.

Trump certainly loves Brexit. He flew in to Scotland to water his golf course the morning after, and announced on getting out of his plane, that he was delighted to visit a country that had grasped the challenge. Nobody told him Scotland voted 60% remain. There appears to be a bromance between he and the ghastly Nigel Farage, and a lot of Trump's final punchlines were lifted straight from the Leave campaign. "Independence day", for example.

The solutions offered are, actually wildly different. Trump and Le Pen want to be very protectionist and use trade barriers as a major weapon. Brexiters want the complete opposite. There is a large body in that camp who propose dropping ALL trade tariffs to every country whether or not they reciprocate. Utterly insane, but popular. So the "left behind" brigade are united in wanting change. What they are voting for as a means, however, is very different.
You just lost that argument.

And you lost my interest.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:36 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,118,635 times
http://https://www.facebook.com/Mark...281298/?type=3Anyone have Britain crime map?

Old 11-14-2016, 04:06 AM

504 posts, read 465,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You just lost that argument.

And you lost my interest.
No argument to lose. Analysis has proved the fact, here at least. The less well educated you are, the more likely to have voted Brexit.

Having encountered 2 (gay) Trump supporters from Grand Rapids in London a week before the election, I can only conclude the dynamic is the same, if they were typical.

That, however, is not the real point if you read what I was saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections