Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:23 PM

63,469 posts, read 29,475,876 times

Advertisements

The sea of red reflects our anger. Liberals fooled the weak minded but they didn't realize that there are more of us with strong minds and who are patriotic Americans and weren't going to stand for any more of their brain washing nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 01:23 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,455,322 times
It's obvious that the concept of "Sanctuary" is not well understood.

A sanctuary city is a city that adopts local policies designed to not prosecute people solely for being an undocumented individual in the country in which they are currently living. These practices can be by law (de jure) or they can be in fact (de facto). The term generally applies to cities that do not allow municipal funds or resources to be used to enforce national immigration laws, usually by not allowing police or municipal employees to inquire about an individual's immigration status. The designation has no precise legal meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city

That's it. Nobody is "shielding" criminals.

Sanctuary cities have decided not to do the federal government's job for them. Simple as that.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:25 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,219,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
E-verify.

It's a giant first step and a "virtual wall" more effective than bricks and mortar.
E-Verify only works if the illegal is applying for a job in a legally run business. There are plenty of illegals working under the table which would never be caught.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:27 PM

35,853 posts, read 21,253,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Why all the worry about Mexicans? I thought sanctuary cities were for all illegals.

Congress now only has to draft a law (which they had previously already done) denying Federal funding to cities that do not comply with Federal law. How simple is that without a President in the White House that will veto it?
Did anyone here, even liberals think the day would come in this county where complying with laws would become a radical idea?

I'm not worried about Mexicans- I simply posted the article- and it's not going to happen-

Old 11-14-2016, 01:29 PM

17,429 posts, read 11,438,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I'm not worried about Mexicans- I simply posted the article- and it's not going to happen-
For the large part, sanctuary cities sprung up like wild fire after Obama took office because they knew they had his support. That support will be gone in short time. We'll see what happens to them.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:30 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
For the large part, sanctuary cities sprung up like wild fire after Obama took office because they knew they had his support.
Is that a fact?

Old 11-14-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
E-Verify only works if the illegal is applying for a job in a legally run business. There are plenty of illegals working under the table which would never be caught.
Very true, but it's a damned good start in denying illegals employment, especially in the construction business, restaurant businesses among others.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
Is that a fact?
Yes it is. I live in the Sanctuary City capitol of the world, California. I saw it happen with my own eyes after Obama was elected and it continues to this day.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:38 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,448,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post

The SSA reported at least six million potential "no match" numbers to congress. It's a giant first start.

Step 2: Targeted enforcement of industries prone to abuse.

The Feds could end 80% of illegal hires in less than a year.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:46 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,732,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
It's obvious that the concept of "Sanctuary" is not well understood.

A sanctuary city is a city that adopts local policies designed to not prosecute people solely for being an undocumented individual in the country in which they are currently living. These practices can be by law (de jure) or they can be in fact (de facto). The term generally applies to cities that do not allow municipal funds or resources to be used to enforce national immigration laws, usually by not allowing police or municipal employees to inquire about an individual's immigration status. The designation has no precise legal meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city

That's it. Nobody is "shielding" criminals.

Sanctuary cities have decided not to do the federal government's job for them. Simple as that.
Thank you, this is what I understood as well. That in Sanctuary city, if I am to be stopped for traffic violation, the cop will only inquiry about this incident (my license and registration/insurance) and not about my immigration status or any other crime I might have committed. This makes sense to me

I don't know how non-sanctuary city operate. does everyone walk around with their passport/citizenship documents so incase they get pulled over for speeding they have something to show. Also, local cops are not immigration cops, so are not trained in this area. Along with isn't it big waste of cops time to deal with immigration when they are suppose to be chasing criminals and giving tickets for traffic violation.

I am really confused how non-sanctuary city operates. I have been pulled over for speeding in several places & never been asked about my immigration status (I am brown Muslim women). If someone did ask, I would not have any documents to prove instantly, maybe they can run my SSI for proof or my driving license. Is the license link to citizenship? I don't know why it is a big deal for cops to do their job and not immigration work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections