Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 10:48 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,585,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
It's obvious that the concept of "Sanctuary" is not well understood.

A sanctuary city is a city that adopts local policies designed to not prosecute people solely for being an undocumented individual in the country in which they are currently living. These practices can be by law (de jure) or they can be in fact (de facto). The term generally applies to cities that do not allow municipal funds or resources to be used to enforce national immigration laws, usually by not allowing police or municipal employees to inquire about an individual's immigration status. The designation has no precise legal meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city

That's it. Nobody is "shielding" criminals.

Sanctuary cities have decided not to do the federal government's job for them. Simple as that.

That's a false premise since its not their Money that they would be spending. The Federal Government gives them money to compensate for this. The officials of these cities also have a duty to enforce the Law of the Land, be it Federal Law or State Law. Sanctuary cities even refuse to hold illegals for the Feds to pick up.

So actually they are "shielding" criminals, and the reason is not valid. There is no reason or excuse, for any Government to ignore a Law that applies to all States. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 10:50 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,335,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
It's obvious that the concept of "Sanctuary" is not well understood.

A sanctuary city is a city that adopts local policies designed to not prosecute people solely for being an undocumented individual in the country in which they are currently living. These practices can be by law (de jure) or they can be in fact (de facto). The term generally applies to cities that do not allow municipal funds or resources to be used to enforce national immigration laws, usually by not allowing police or municipal employees to inquire about an individual's immigration status. The designation has no precise legal meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city

That's it. Nobody is "shielding" criminals.

Sanctuary cities have decided not to do the federal government's job for them. Simple as that.
Let's say Immigration knows for a fact that Mr. such and such lives in 123 Main St., Chicago, Ill, is a criminal and illegal. Can they fly to Chicago, knock on his door and take him away all by themselves?

Old 11-14-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
E-Verify only works if the illegal is applying for a job in a legally run business. There are plenty of illegals working under the table which would never be caught.

It would be up to the employer to verify citizenship, or a green card, no matter who it is. Make the fines and the jail time serious enough so that no employer would even risk the chance of hiring an illegal. One year in the slammer for every illegal you hire, for first offense. Five years for a second offense.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Not many would win by not paying their taxes. The federal government could seize their state property. Throw the Governor in the street and out of the state mansion. Let the mayor set up his office under a traffic light someplace.

These Cities are powerless if the Government puts them in the crosshairs. The Police have to follow Government mandate, if deemed necessary by the Feds. The Justice Department has the right to take over a Police Department that does not follow the Law, as they have done many times where Police where violating the Civil Rights of the people. They send in the FBI and they take over all operations in those Departments. The Mayor could probably be arrested for interfering, if he tried to order the Police to do otherwise, in a case like that.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Let's say Immigration knows for a fact that Mr. such and such lives in 123 Main St., Chicago, Ill, is a criminal and illegal. Can they fly to Chicago, knock on his door and take him away all by themselves?

Sure. Immigration and Naturalization have their own Police force too. They likely would not have to do it by themselves in a case like that. If they where going after a specific person, regardless of citizenship, the FBI and/or a Federal Marshall would be there too, and they would have a warrant. INS officers that visit work places can arrest and detain illegals by themselves. In our area they have a big bus with a lot of Bars on the windows. Hope to see a lot more of it now.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:16 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,722,091 times
Quote:
=keraT;46193401]

Not many criminals would object to it either.
When a cop pulls someone over for the traffic offense and sees a bloody hammer on the seat along with some tools used to brake and enter a dwelling and he knows there is a serial murder that has been killing women in the area. I bet the criminal would be happy if the cop would ignore the possibility that he could be the killer and just give him a ticket and let him go.
But if later that night if he killed a member of your family. You might wonder why he didn't inquire more into what he was doing with the bloody hammer.

Good point about the obvious sign of criminal activity. I understand and agree with you. However, in your example the cop noticed obvious criminal activity. In normal case, what will the cop base their "extra" inquiry on? Will it be based on the way a person looks? If you look different, the cops will ask for extra info from you like TSA does "random check". Or will it be based on if you speak English will enough, in that case I have had plenty of professors/scientist who's words most people can not understand but they are legal here.

Again I am curious how this works in non-sanctuary city. I don't live in one and have never had experience with cop outside of simple traffic issue. what are the non-sanctuary cities doing differently? IF I called in and said "I was robbed" will the cop ask me to show my citizenship paper :s doesn't seem related at all

Old 11-14-2016, 11:22 PM

7,531 posts, read 5,782,657 times
Quote:
Does Trump have the answer and the tools to end sanctuary cities ?

Looks like it could get into the struggle between state rights and federal rights.

Would cutting off funds bring them into the fold of putting American citizens first ? Will boycotting the cities help ? Will democrat voters who will see local taxes skyrocket vote out the leaders causing their discomfort or suck it up as they go bankrupt ?
Money to the tune of billions. My guess and if he's smart?

Build a big wall and put someone every 100 yards with a rifle. Flow stopped
Export all the criminals
Come up up with a reasonable plan that allows illegals to become citizens IF they have been
Here for say more than 5 years AND have contributed to society by working. If you sucked the entitlement tit for your entire time here home you go

No need for sanctuary cities anymore.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:30 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,261,865 times
Simple : Enforce existing law.
Arrest / Impeach anyone who fails to enforce law, for breach of oath of office to enforce all laws impartially.
After a few arrests, folks will get the message.

America is a nation of laws, not petty tyrants and scoundrels who pick and choose which laws to enforce and which ones to ignore.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:30 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,708,255 times
=keraT;46198644]
Quote:
Good point about the obvious sign of criminal activity. I understand and agree with you. However, in your example the cop noticed obvious criminal activity. In normal case, what will the cop base their "extra" inquiry on? Will it be based on the way a person looks? If you look different, the cops will ask for extra info from you like TSA does "random check". Or will it be based on if you speak English will enough, in that case I have had plenty of professors/scientist who's words most people can not understand but they are legal here.
Good question.
I'm not a supporter of having to show papers on demand. In fact I think it is disgusting. I'm not in favor of what is happing now when travelers are lawfully going down the highway and are required to pull off the highway and be questioned by border patrol. They want to know where you have been and where you are going and ask if you are a citizen. Example : I 10 highway from Ca all the way to Fl. The SCOTUS didn't agree with me and ruled on it. If they don't like your answer they can detain you until they are satisfied.
I don't like the idea of immigrants or citizens engaged in lawful activity being questioned without cause.

Keep in mind if you commit a traffic violation they don't have to write you a ticket and let you go. They can if they want arrest you. Generally they don't arrest people for that but there have been incidents where they have done that. Example : You are pulled over for not wearing your seatbelt. They can arrest you and take you to jail. Once in jail they could inquire as to your status and if here illegally hold you for ICE.

Quote:
Again I am curious how this works in non-sanctuary city. I don't live in one and have never had experience with cop outside of simple traffic issue. what are the non-sanctuary cities doing differently? IF I called in and said "I was robbed" will the cop ask me to show my citizenship paper :s doesn't seem related at all
Non-sanctuary city's are not all the same in what they do. It depends on their policy or lack of policy. They may hold for ICE or do nothing to cooperate with immigration.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:43 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,708,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Take away all Federal Funding for anything in those States. Sanctuary Cities should be illegal anyway, since its "Aiding and Abetting" Criminals who committed a Criminal Act by sneaking across our Borders. Its time to call these people what they are. They are not "Undocumented" Immigrants. They are Criminals that broke the Law intentionally. If it walks like a Duck, and Quacks like a Duck, its a Duck, until proven otherwise.
Interestingly enough Bill O'reilly on Fox is asking the same kind of questions tonight on the Factor. Maybe we will hear what his research has come up with for an answer.

Can state and local official's be arrested for "Aiding and Abetting"?

He is a big supporter of Kate's law which the democrats blocked in congress. Obama wouldn't have signed it anyway. Lets see if Trump administration gets it through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections