Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:52 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,455,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yes it is. I live in the Sanctuary City capitol of the world, California. I saw it happen with my own eyes after Obama was elected and it continues to this day.
So you don't have any evidence, just your personal, subjective "observations" and your feelings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
For the large part, sanctuary cities sprung up like wild fire after Obama took office because they knew they had his support.
You see, your claim isn't even close to being substantiated by the response you gave.

Did any San Francisco supervisors tell you they felt empowered to make SF a sanctuary city because Obama wanted them to? Was there some official statement that led you to believe that "Obama" was responsible for San Francisco's decision?

You see, the problem I have accepting your emotional outburst as credible stems from the fact that the empowering ordinance was passed in 1989.

Do you expect me to believe that Obama encouraged this action while he was still a political unknown?

Sanctuary Ordinance | SF GSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:21 PM

34,297 posts, read 15,741,516 times
=keraT;46193401]
Quote:
Thank you, this is what I understood as well. That in Sanctuary city, if I am to be stopped for traffic violation, the cop will only inquiry about this incident (my license and registration/insurance) and not about my immigration status or any other crime I might have committed. This makes sense to me
Not many criminals would object to it either.
When a cop pulls someone over for the traffic offense and sees a bloody hammer on the seat along with some tools used to brake and enter a dwelling and he knows there is a serial murder that has been killing women in the area. I bet the criminal would be happy if the cop would ignore the possibility that he could be the killer and just give him a ticket and let him go.
But if later that night if he killed a member of your family. You might wonder why he didn't inquire more into what he was doing with the bloody hammer.

Quote:
I don't know how non-sanctuary city operate. does everyone walk around with their passport/citizenship documents so incase they get pulled over for speeding they have something to show. Also, local cops are not immigration cops, so are not trained in this area. Along with isn't it big waste of cops time to deal with immigration when they are suppose to be chasing criminals and giving tickets for traffic violation.
If cops are supposed to be chasing criminals and being here is illegal that would make them criminals having broken the law when the illegally entered. So why not chasing them and even better yet. When you have already caught them for something you don't have to chase them. That's a time saver.

Quote:
I am really confused how non-sanctuary city operates. I have been pulled over for speeding in several places & never been asked about my immigration status (I am brown Muslim women). If someone did ask, I would not have any documents to prove instantly, maybe they can run my SSI for proof or my driving license. Is the license link to citizenship? I don't know why it is a big deal for cops to do their job and not immigration work.
If you can carry a driving license you can just as easily care a another document without much effort.

If you have one of the driver licenses where you had to produce a birth cert. and other documents to prove your were a citizen then the license removes the doubt or need to inquire about your status.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:35 PM

601 posts, read 596,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post

I don't know how non-sanctuary city operate. does everyone walk around with their passport/citizenship documents
I will pledge right now to NEVER do this.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:51 PM

10,180 posts, read 10,304,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
It's obvious that the concept of "Sanctuary" is not well understood.

A sanctuary city is a city that adopts local policies designed to not prosecute people solely for being an undocumented individual in the country in which they are currently living. These practices can be by law (de jure) or they can be in fact (de facto). The term generally applies to cities that do not allow municipal funds or resources to be used to enforce national immigration laws, usually by not allowing police or municipal employees to inquire about an individual's immigration status. The designation has no precise legal meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city

That's it. Nobody is "shielding" criminals.

Sanctuary cities have decided not to do the federal government's job for them. Simple as that.
Quote:
What is a "sanctuary city," anyway?

The policies and practices differ in the estimated 60 sanctuary cities around the country. That list includes major cities such as New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Houston. But generally, when someone has been, for instance, arrested for driving without a license and then identified as an illegal immigrant at a jail in a sanctuary city, they must serve jail time for state charges or pay related fines. Then, they are let go.
So much for not "shielding" criminals.

Quote:
Most of these cities have identified some set of guidelines or conditions under which federal immigration officials must be alerted before the person's release. Usually they are connected to what's on the person's rap sheet.

But some either don't have them or don't follow them.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...l-immigration/

Old 11-14-2016, 08:00 PM

10,180 posts, read 10,304,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
hmm-- so no more- Miami- NY- Dallas- Atlanta etc- make all the cities look like Cleveland!! desolate broken and ready for zombies - largest count are in: IOWA, COL, NM, OR, WASHINGTON and the east and west coast obviously- Map: Sanctuary Cities, Counties, and States | Center for Immigration Studies
Are you saying that the only reason those cities are diverse is due to illegal immigrants illegally living in them?

There are plenty of immigrants (of the legal type) who live in Miami, NY, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:27 PM

63,466 posts, read 29,475,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Are you saying that the only reason those cities are diverse is due to illegal immigrants illegally living in them?

There are plenty of immigrants (of the legal type) who live in Miami, NY, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.

Of course, but these liberals think because we oppose illegal immigration we don't embrace diversity. As you said we have plenty of diversity in legal immigrants. Liberals live in a bizzaro world.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:35 PM

36,715 posts, read 67,816,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I say end federal funding to them. Period.
I say they dont have to pay federal taxes then.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:46 PM

34,297 posts, read 15,741,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I say they dont have to pay federal taxes then.

Not many would win by not paying their taxes. The federal government could seize their state property. Throw the Governor in the street and out of the state mansion. Let the mayor set up his office under a traffic light someplace.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:20 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,259,322 times
Not legally but yes, just follow the money. The Repubs can pass spending bills with conditions like no Sanctuary cities can receive funding to all of these infrastructure projects.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:30 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,464,957 times
Sigh. Im no fan of illegal immigration, but I can assure you this will end poorly. If a city is receiving no federal support, why should they be paying any federal taxes? Yeah. Do we REALLY want to start that kind of nonsense up?

Just send in federal police and arrest people for contempt of court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections