Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:29 PM

670 posts, read 1,110,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
The Democrats lost primarily because Hillary was an absolutely horrible candidate, and no matter how many times the voters tried to bring that to the attention of the DNC, they ignored them and kept pressing forward.
I don't think the DNC honestly had much of a choice this election.

Back in '08 Bill and Hillary began as vocal opponents of Obama as Hillary was positioning herself to run. The DNC favored Obama and I'm sure they sat down with Hillary and said "look, we want to run Obama. Get behind him and if/when he wins he'll find a place for you in his cabinet and, he'll support your campaign. Support Obama now and you're next Hillary - with Obama's full support". This explains why the Clinton's overnight went from criticizing Obama to suddenly throwing him their full support.

Flash forward 8 years and the DNC has to hold up their end of the bargain. I believe they knew she was a horrible candidate what with the scandals, the public's distrust of her, and her smug, arrogant attitude (they probably did figure the female angle was a big plus which, if she was a better candidate it would have been) but what could they do? I think initially the DNC was counting their lucky stars when Trump became the front runner as he got off to a very rocky start, had seemingly no filter at all, and has zero political experience. I believe the DNC and Hillary thought they would sweep the election and, to be fair, when you look at it they honestly should have. She has political experience, tremendous power in Washington, huge backing from big $$$, a huge war chest, and the mainstream media in her corner. Hillary was just that bad a candidate. Trump seemed to get things on track at the tail end of the campaign - he found a filter, seemed to start listening to his advisors/campaign manager, and debated very well in the 2nd and 3rd debates. While the exact circumstances cannot be emulated, this election will become a case study for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 09:43 PM

32,328 posts, read 15,277,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I've never been happier about an election outcome either and I've been voting since the 60's. I think we really dodged a bullet by defeating Hillary Clinton. Not saying that I think Trump is going to be a great president - I just think it's time to break up the political elitist establishment and get some fresh blood in the arena.

Well then you must be really disappointed since he's bring the worst of worst of the establishment back.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:52 PM

161 posts, read 169,208 times
I don't care what you think about Trump. What annoys me is when people judge all Trump voters as racist, sexist pigs; which is pretty ignorant to say, given that Trump won over counties in the rust belt that went to Obama in 2012. He would not have won if only white males voted for him (or even white males and females) and if you think he possibly could have, you are seriously deluded. I hear allot of "Give him a chance". While I think you should have an open mind, I don't think trump gives a **** if random people say mean things about him on the internet. All I ask is that you don't go protesting like a bunch of pathetic, juvenile, sheltered, triggered children. The bar is pretty low. I'm guessing most of you anti-Trump people posting on this thread aren't going to be doing that. So good job not being complete morons.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:08 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,467,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I actually cannot wait for January 2017. Since Republicans claim to be so superior in policies and governing to Democrats, with a Republican majority in all three branches of government, they have to put their money where their mouth is and show us. After all, they now have 0 excuses why their policies/bills/laws won't be 100% successful. I'll be eating lots of popcorn until 2020, that's for sure
Well, you've just demonstrated that you don't know much about government.

I don't have time to explain things like filibusters, dissent within the Republican Party, the difficulties involved in firing federal workers, etc. to you.

The Democrats had the White House, the Senate and the House for two years, and look at what they got done. Not much. And now, even those paltry accomplishments are going to be dismantled.

Still, with Trump we're headed in a better direction.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Why should liberals give him a chance? What chance was given to Obama? Besides, he is currently filling his cabinet, so the chances have already been given and he is responding poorly. This is politics, not your sister's new boyfriend, people are going to react the way they react regardless if you like it or not.
Good job of not getting my post.

I never said that liberals should give Trump a chance.

I said that I don't care any more about their feelings about Trump than they cared about my feelings about Obama.

Now, that's the third time I've said it.

Maybe this time it will sink in.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:21 AM

There's one reason and one reason only why Trump won.

It has nothing to do with Hillary being a bad candidate or Bernie not getting the nomination.

Trump won because the people who opposed him were -- for the most part -- sniveling, race-baiting nincompoops.

People got tired of the political correctness, condescension, grievance mongering, double standards and temper tantrums.

That's it in a nutshell.

Liberals, leftists and Democrats need to hold up a mirror to themselves and look at it critically.

But of course, they won't.

Instead, they will double-down on their antics, and Trump will win again in 2020!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections