Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Clinton's Popular Vote Victory Reduce Trump's Mandate?
YES. Trump's vote count is too low to be a mandate for sweeping change. 70 27.89%
NO. Trump won, and that's reason enough for a mandate for sweeping change. 125 49.80%
DOESN'T MATTER. The mandate concept is too vague to mean anything. 56 22.31%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 06:20 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,395,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I don't see what the problem is by giving the electoral college the boot. It isn't necessary today. Popular vote should always prevail...
False. See my thread on why we have the E.C. It is as relevant today as it was when our framers created it.

We are 50 sovereign States, We do not vote as a block. The citizens of each state are entitled to have their vote count as much as those of CA, NY, or any other large state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 06:21 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,670,143 times
Talking Keep up that bold talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Haha! You're posting your only ounce of retaliation left, as a LOSER. Try to make it less obvious next time.
Well, I'm not disappointed that Hillary lost, to be honest. I was never a fan of either Clinton.

But watching the nervous hubris of the Trumplings really is amusing.

I'm confident that the entertainment will only get better over the coming months.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:23 AM

20,177 posts, read 9,700,951 times
So basic question:

Why has it taken so long for all the votes to be counted?

(Sorry if this has already been asked and answered elsewhere!)

P.S. I did Google it and found the following link, but I still don't think it should take more than one week. Also, I am confused by people who are not sure if they can vote. If they received a mail-in ballot, wouldn't that mean that they CAN vote (or at least according to somebody, lol).

http://www.redding.com/news/local/wh...402562045.html

Old 12-01-2016, 06:23 AM

45,947 posts, read 27,593,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The founding fathers were so smart as otherwise 3 cities would rule the entire country!
We would already be toast by now. The electoral college protects all US citizens (liberals and conservatives... not illegals) from tyrannical behavior.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:24 AM

17,436 posts, read 11,461,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
False. See my thread on why we have the E.C. It is as relevant today as it was when our framers created it.

We are 50 sovereign States, We do not vote as a block. The citizens of each state are entitled to have their vote count as much as those of CA, NY, or any other large state.
This won't sink in to the liberals until a liberal President loses the popular vote but wins the EC. Then they'll thank God the EC is in place.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:42 AM

31,335 posts, read 14,447,509 times
Again:

The states elect the president. Not the individual voter.
The system worked.
Keep it.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:51 AM

20,503 posts, read 12,453,739 times
Quote:
Clinton has only slightly more than a 1.5 M vote lead nationwide, largely attributable to CA, OR, NY. The more important fact is that Trump won the majority in more states (2/3), which is why he will be our next President.
its 2M... she won CA by 4M.

take that out and as the OP states, do we really want the crazies in CA to drag us around by the nose?

Old 12-01-2016, 06:55 AM

8,524 posts, read 7,540,019 times
Quote:
Many people think the Electoral College should be scrapped. They think it's just a relic of the past, and think we should elect the president by direct democracy. But the framers of the Constitution were very wise and educated men. They understood why direct democracy's fail.

Here's why they created the Electoral College, and why it is just as relevant and important today:

https://www.prageru.com/courses/poli...o1xBk.facebook
Tara Ross? Her video doesn't actually explain why there's an electoral college but rather lays down a view of the operation of the electoral college as it operates today, or at least a certain viewpoint from a faction to the right of the aisle.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:04 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,103,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Higher education has never been a determining factor in common sense and the last time I checked higher education doesn't make you more intelligent or a better person. It may get you a better paying job some of the time, but that's about it.
Yeah, but it makes them feel better and gives them an excuse (no matter the inaccuracy) as to why they lost.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:05 AM

30,316 posts, read 18,870,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I don't see what the problem is by giving the electoral college the boot. It isn't necessary today. Popular vote should always prevail...

No, it should not.

Read history. The purpose of the electoral college was to give less populous states SOME VOICE in the elections of presidents. At the time, VA was the most populated state and other states felt that they would have little influence in presidential elections.

If the electoral college was eliminated, there would be little reason for about 32 states to remain in the Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections