Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Clinton's Popular Vote Victory Reduce Trump's Mandate?
YES. Trump's vote count is too low to be a mandate for sweeping change. 70 27.89%
NO. Trump won, and that's reason enough for a mandate for sweeping change. 125 49.80%
DOESN'T MATTER. The mandate concept is too vague to mean anything. 56 22.31%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 AM

39,184 posts, read 51,544,798 times

Advertisements

This attributing Trump's loss to California is absurd logic. It is the same as people saying a 38-36 football game was lost or won by some field goal that was missed or made. You are forgetting all the other points. If it were just California, Trump would have won 120 million to 2.5 million. It is also the same as my saying Trump won because he got less than 100,000 more votes than Clinton in WI, MI, and PA. I also neglect to mention that he won dozens of other states too and without them he would have lost 500-30-something. I say it, but I know better. All scores count, all votes count equally. The total is built from vote 1 in New Hampshire. Here's the takeaway: We have a very unpopular president elect. Let's see if he can do anything to win over the majority of Americans who voted against him. If he fails he will be a one-termer or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 07:32 AM

12,685 posts, read 6,776,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I don't see what the problem is by giving the electoral college the boot. It isn't necessary today. Popular vote should always prevail...
The original reason for the creation of the Electoral College was because, of the original 13 states, the tiny ones like Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont and Connecticut didn't want to be bullied by the states with much larger populations. They knew that their voice would be completely drowned out in a 100% popular vote system. This is why the Senate was created and this is exactly why the Electoral College is a hybrid system. Those states were unwilling to join the rest of the United States without having some built-in protections from being ignored and marginalized.

So ... how much of that has changed today? Would anyone even care about Wyoming, Vermont, Alaska, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Rhode Island if it weren't for the way the Senate and Electoral College are setup? No, they'd get completely ignored and everyone knows it. So the EC is still performing it's original intended purpose.

Now whether you agree or disagree, getting rid of the Electoral College is impossible. The Constitutional Amendment process would require 38 states to vote in favor. 21 states are small enough that they significantly benefit from the Electoral College. So you just have to figure out how to get 9 of those 21 to intentionally vote in favor of being ignored, bullied and marginalized by more populous states. Ain't gonna happen.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:48 AM

26,230 posts, read 22,397,572 times
What we have in Kansas needs to be the law of the land: Got Voter ID? • S.A.F.E. Act • Kansas Secretary of State Kris W. Kobach

Old 12-01-2016, 07:53 AM

39,184 posts, read 51,544,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The original reason for the creation of the Electoral College was because, of the original 13 states, the tiny ones like Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont and Connecticut didn't want to be bullied by the states with much larger populations. They knew that their voice would be completely drowned out in a 100% popular vote system. This is why the Senate was created and this is exactly why the Electoral College is a hybrid system. Those states were unwilling to join the rest of the United States without having some built-in protections from being ignored and marginalized.

So ... how much of that has changed today? Would anyone even care about Wyoming, Vermont, Alaska, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Rhode Island if it weren't for the way the Senate and Electoral College are setup? No, they'd get completely ignored and everyone knows it. So the EC is still performing it's original intended purpose.

Now whether you agree or disagree, getting rid of the Electoral College is impossible. The Constitutional Amendment process would require 38 states to vote in favor. 21 states are small enough that they significantly benefit from the Electoral College. So you just have to figure out how to get 9 of those 21 to intentionally vote in favor of being ignored, bullied and marginalized by more populous states. Ain't gonna happen.
The National Popular Vote initiative effectively gets rid of the electoral college. But anyway, Dems need to stop whining about the EC. The reason they lost is because they did not vote or voted for Stein. It is as simple as that. They had dismal turnout in the rust belt states and Trump eked out a victory there by less than 100k votes across three states. It's the same old same old with Democrats in one election after the next. Show up or shut up!

Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 AM

776 posts, read 750,255 times
Quote:
I don't see what the problem is by giving the electoral college the boot. It isn't necessary today. Popular vote should always prevail...
You walk into a room of 20 people. A few minutes later 11 people decide they want to beat you up. Majority rules!

Old 12-01-2016, 08:17 AM

776 posts, read 750,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The National Popular Vote initiative effectively gets rid of the electoral college.

Unconstitutionally. Did you know that it would only take 11 or 12 states to join the compact? Yes, that's right 11-12 states could automatically determine the Presidency if it were to ever stand.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:20 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,513,931 times
I hope people keep talking about Clinton's popular vote lead well into 2017.

It'll just continue to prove how utterly shocked and bittered people stayed after...

TRUMP WON!

Old 12-01-2016, 08:25 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,296,883 times
Quote:
Darn that old Constitution!! It really screws things up😡😡

Old 12-01-2016, 08:27 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,252,250 times
Quote:
No, it shouldn't. If we went to a pure popular vote system then politicians would only campaign in a handful of heavily populated states like California, New York, Texas and perhaps Florida. If they won those then they would win the election. So we would have a handful of states dictating our political future to the rest of the nation. Bad idea. The founders of this country saw this possibility and wisely created the Electoral College to make sure EVERY state has a say in this process.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:37 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,296,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I hope people keep talking about Clinton's popular vote lead well into 2017.

It'll just continue to prove how utterly shocked and bittered people stayed after...

TRUMP WON!
Well into 2017??? Yo dog, Dems will be crying 😭 about this election for the next 20 YEARS!!!! That prospect literally gives me goosebumps of joy. Also, can you imagine if it happens again in 2020? Oh, Lord Jesus, I'll have to stock up on Depends since my bladder will be out of control with all the laughing!!!!

Liberal suffering...the gift that keeps on giving!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections