Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Clinton's Popular Vote Victory Reduce Trump's Mandate?
YES. Trump's vote count is too low to be a mandate for sweeping change. 70 27.89%
NO. Trump won, and that's reason enough for a mandate for sweeping change. 125 49.80%
DOESN'T MATTER. The mandate concept is too vague to mean anything. 56 22.31%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 02:13 AM

29,639 posts, read 16,675,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Howard Who? Is this the guy who also failed to win a national election?
You may honestly not know who Howard Dean is, but the he was the DNC chairman in the mid 2000's he was part of the reason Democrats were able to have a majority going into 2008.

Quote:
While Hillary spent huge sums of money, I don't think she had much in the way of grassroots support. Her rallies were often just a handful of people, and most of her money came from very large donations. And of course the vote didn't turn out for her. The DEM primary turnout should have been a huge warning for them.
I get that your guy won, but at some point you are going to have to have a sober conversation. Trumps midwestern/great lakes strategy worked. No one is debating that, but the argument that Hillary didnt turn out votes when she is infact winning the popular vote is just absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 02:39 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You may honestly not know who Howard Dean is, but the he was the DNC chairman in the mid 2000's he was part of the reason Democrats were able to have a majority going into 2008.
Nope. Democrats had a majority because of the idiotic war of choice started by Bush (and voted for by Hillary) and the GOP at the time losing it's mind over such things as Terry Schavo. Oh and for the record I was a Democrat at that time and voted for Democrats. Dean had 0 influence of that too.

Now the Democrats are in that same boat the GOP was by 2008 because of wars of choice started by Obama & Clinton, and the fact they declared war on the White working middle class. Some of us here said that was going to be bad for them, and that turned out to be the case.

As the previous poster said, it's not about limiting one's self to the dogma of just one party. Americans who stupidly do that, will never see change. I expect a politician to earn my support. I don't give them mine just because they belong to a political party.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:54 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,549,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
My line of vision is 360 degrees in stereo.

If you want to box yourself into one angle in mono, you get what you deserve.
Its not a matter of boxing oneself in its more to do with core political beliefs.Seems to me you are basing your political preferences on nothing more than media hype,i base my political preferences on core political values that dont change ,i'm not about to become a Republican just because thats the way the wind is blowing currently.=
Democrat vs Republican - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Old 11-17-2016, 03:48 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,971,864 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206
More of this garbage that nobody cares about?
Only brainwashed trump supporters dont care.... THE REST OF US DO!!

Hillary actually won!!!

Old 11-17-2016, 04:33 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,806,429 times
Just like the Trump's landslide win, the OP's own poll speaks for itself.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:55 AM

6,179 posts, read 7,294,178 times
Not only is Hilliary's popular vote lead is growing, Trump won less than 50% of the vote. Trump does not have a mandate

Old 11-17-2016, 07:21 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,549,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Not only is Hilliary's popular vote lead is growing, Trump won less than 50% of the vote. Trump does not have a mandate
While Hillary may have won the popular vote its kinda meaningless as Trump won where it counts the electoral vote so he's the winner and thus President for the next 4 years. Its the way the system has always worked,getting rid of the electoral college is very unlikely to happen but Jessie Jackson puts it into perspective=
Jesse Jackson: The right to vote in America has been fractured | Chicago Sun-Times.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:23 AM

26,220 posts, read 22,387,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Usually in elections it is said the a landslide victory is needed to serve as a mandate for huge, sweeping changes in laws and programs. Trump won in the Electoral College with a good margin but most would not call it a landslide. Hillary Clinton is winning the national popular vote by the largest margin in U.S. history:

Popular vote count Nov. 16 0800 PST

Clinton.... 62,414,099... 47.8%
Trump...... 61,255,290... 46.9%

Clinton lead = 1,158,809 (source: Cook Political Report)
Clinton LOST despite her attempts to buy the election. Again, Clinton LOST. This was a competition and not everyone gets a ribbon like in elementary school. Hillary LOST.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:32 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,766,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Clinton LOST despite her attempts to buy the election. Again, Clinton LOST. This was a competition and not everyone gets a ribbon like in elementary school. Hillary LOST.

We will never know the actual popular vote. Absentee ballots are not even counted unless there is less than a 1% difference in the counts from election day. Trump votes could run up the totals in red states just as easily as Hillary votes run up the tally in California and deep blue states.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:43 AM

17,429 posts, read 11,448,065 times
Clinton didn't win the popular squat when you take away the votes from illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections