Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Clinton's Popular Vote Victory Reduce Trump's Mandate?
YES. Trump's vote count is too low to be a mandate for sweeping change. 70 27.89%
NO. Trump won, and that's reason enough for a mandate for sweeping change. 125 49.80%
DOESN'T MATTER. The mandate concept is too vague to mean anything. 56 22.31%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:59 PM

2,309 posts, read 903,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Not my logic, just a fact.
I'm talking about you attributing certain President Trump supporters to the president himself and his entire group of supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 11:01 PM

2,309 posts, read 903,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
nope but if you think it is, search for all my posts with that phrase in it and then come back here and tell us the results, if you can't prove it then it sure looks like you're trolling
I'm sick and tired of people shouting "fake news" without giving any evidence to support it (as you did). If you have evidence then please provide it.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:57 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
I'm sick and tired of people shouting "fake news" without giving any evidence to support it (as you did). If you have evidence then please provide it.
You claimed that I repeatedly claim things as being 'fake news'. I asked you to prove it. Until you do, you aren't in a position to move the goalposts.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:51 PM

764 posts, read 597,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Sigh....again and again as mentioned, if an election was based on a popular vote, a different campaign strategy would have been practiced by those running.
Doesn't matter. Create an alternate universe all you want. You can't measure a hypothetical. You can measure concrete math. The majority of the country voted for Clinton. It's not even about my dislike for the guy. If you have two choices and one is favored more, its obvious that any talk mandate or referendum will be questioned...

Old 12-19-2016, 02:29 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post

I can post links with quotes from Obama, Comey, and the CIA all stating without certainty that our ballot boxes were not hacked and there was no fraud.

I can post a link from Occupy Democrats claiming the Russians hacked the election.

There is a huge disconnect between the reality of what is alleged - the Russians hacking the DNC and releasing negative information in an attempt to influence voters - and the Russians hacking the election. Ironically there is a hundred years of history of this behavior. The editor of the New York Times just stated this fall he would risk his career to publish stolen Trump tax returns. Liberals would never call that hacking.

The Russians didn't hack anything. Someone released some damaging information. Every allegation of Russian involvment has been made by anonymous parties within the government.

The narrative as presented to the public is fake and misleading. Intentionally.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:01 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I can post links with quotes from Obama, Comey, and the CIA all stating without certainty that our ballot boxes were not hacked and there was no fraud.

I can post a link from Occupy Democrats claiming the Russians hacked the election.

There is a huge disconnect between the reality of what is alleged - the Russians hacking the DNC and releasing negative information in an attempt to influence voters - and the Russians hacking the election. Ironically there is a hundred years of history of this behavior. The editor of the New York Times just stated this fall he would risk his career to publish stolen Trump tax returns. Liberals would never call that hacking.

The Russians didn't hack anything. Someone released some damaging information. Every allegation of Russian involvment has been made by anonymous parties within the government.

The narrative as presented to the public is fake and misleading. Intentionally.
But you would, wouldn't you?

IF someone had posted his tax returns - OR hacked into the RNC's confidential emails - ya'll would be screaming bloody murder. America would never be the same.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
But you would, wouldn't you?

IF someone had posted his tax returns - OR hacked into the RNC's confidential emails - ya'll would be screaming bloody murder. America would never be the same.
There is some good news coming out of this, a new law is being proposed in California that would require any candidate to disclose 5 years of tax returns in order to get on the ballot, as I understand it New York is considering a similar law. Even if it only applied to Presidential candidates there will be plenty of P*ssed off California Republican candidates in 2020 if Trump decides not to comply, because it will definitely impact turnout

Old 12-19-2016, 05:22 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There is some good news coming out of this, a new law is being proposed in California that would require any candidate to disclose 5 years of tax returns in order to get on the ballot, as I understand it New York is considering a similar law. Even if it only applied to Presidential candidates there will be plenty of P*ssed off California Republican candidates in 2020 if Trump decides not to comply, because it will definitely impact turnout
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't pass Constitutional muster. The Constitution requires only that the presidential candidate be 35 years of age and an American.

Heck, income taxes didn't even exist until the Lincoln administration, and once the Civil War was paid for, it was discontinued until sometime early in the 1900s. So how would all those previous presidents have gotten on ballots in New York and California?

Old 12-19-2016, 05:27 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,171,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't pass Constitutional muster. The Constitution requires only that the presidential candidate be 35 years of age and an American.
The proposed tax return law is probably constitutional. States control the election process, including rules for ballot access. For example, many states have "sore loser" laws that prohibit primary losers from getting on the general ballot.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't pass Constitutional muster.
It wouldn't. States have no authority to modify requirements set forth in the Constitution. That's why States can pass laws related to term limits for their own legislatures, but not for the federal legislature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections