Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 07:22 AM

35,770 posts, read 21,139,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Nothing Trump can do to lose the job. He has more power than any Republican president in almost 100 years. He could do whatever he wants.

It looks like he will require a muslim registry and he will start on wall before getting congressional approval. He even went to dinner without notifying the press. He makes his own rules. He deserves it after handing the Republicans the world on a silver platter (with 0 help or support).

Paul Ryan was afraid to say Trump's name 10 days ago. Trump just handed them all the power, all because of Trump & Trump only. Trump is unstoppable. Liberals better stock up on safety pins, play-doh, and coloring books.

Lord- help us all-- no he can't- Pence already cleaning up behind him- and young boy Mr. K- I am very leery of his ambitions and intentions. It's like the game of thrones, but none are royalty. But to start his empire- - he has proposed $1 trillion spending on infrastructure- after congress denied Obama 8 yrs. of the same- unbelievable! I am more than convinced all under trumpnosys... No other explanation. But as far as before Jan 20 an act of God could- derail the swearing in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 08:31 AM

18,491 posts, read 15,298,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Thanks for catching me on my 'lazy phrasing', as I haven't hesitated to catch others on this in the past. If one looks back through my posts, one can review my stating what you state above while arguing with a few progressives who refuse to believe what we know and you state above to be true.

"It wouldn't lead to Pence either. Well, it could, but not necessarily."

Given the rest of your post, this prompts thought re an interesting sliver of possibility. By not necessarily, do you mean if (for the sake of discussion) we had a Dem controlled House, and Trump was impeached before December 19th and then decided to step aside? Or do you mean if Trump was impeached after December 19th (with a Dem house), decided to step aside, and the order would fall to someone other than Pence? Or do mean something else entirely?
Perhaps that was a bit of my own laziness there. I was talking about impeachment in general, and the general misconception that impeachment is equivalent to being removed from office.

I have never bothered to research what happens when a president elect is brought before congress. I always just assumed since he hadn't taken the oath of office yet, he would be treated the same as any citizen that is involved in a congressional hearing, not an impeachment. But as I said, that is just an assumption. I could be wrong.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:35 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,609,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This isn't a legal issue. It's a constitutional issue. It's important to know the difference. In this case it gives the House the right to impeach the president and should they be successful, then he is essentially given a trial in the US Senate.

And considering the wording in the Article II Sec. 4, the House is completely free to impeach the President for something that happened before he took office.

Is it going to happen? Nope. I chalk this one up there with talk of the EC being abolished and California leaving the USA.
Beyond the naked text of the constitution, I've found arguments on both sides of this in the past....IIRC off the top of my head (might be clearer from past posts of mine)...one of the Judiciary Acts from the 1860s on one side (among others), and US Govt memos from both 1973 and 2000, on the other side (among others).

Found today...

Elizabeth B. Bazan (then a legislative attorney, American Law Division, for the Congressional Research Service) in her 1998 report for Congress entitled: 'Impeachment: An overview of Constitutional Provisions, Procedures, and Practice', at least from some of what I skimmed from the report, may disagree with you:

"addressed somewhat related questions such as whether the President may be subject to judicial subpoenas to provide evidence in criminal cases against others, whether the President may be subject to the judicial process in the context of civil litigation based on official acts or based on official conduct occurring before the President took office, or whether the President is subject to the Administrative Procedure Act, the courts have not ruled on the question of whether a sitting President may be prosecuted while in office."

Old 11-17-2016, 10:40 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,796,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Same way Obama rammed through o-care without a single R vote. We endured Obama, you will endure Trump.
Obama pulled us out of the worst recession in 90 years and has done a great job as President. If it weren't for the horrible Republicans blocking everything he tried to do, he'd go down as one of the greatest Presidents in US history. He has also displayed the utmost grace, class, and dignity while in office and the first President in decades with no major scandal in the White House.

Trump is a dumpster fire who doesn't even want the job and surrounds himself with the most corrupt, despicable human beings on the planet. The two are not even in the same universe of comparison.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:54 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,605,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
The power part. Not only does he have the most power of any Republican president in almost 100 years... but congress owes him. They didn't even help. He saved them all.

The amount of electoral power the Democrats have lost, particularly at the state and local level is astounding. It is so great, the depths of defeat, the great numbers of seats they have lost means that conservative grassroots could end up controlling the census in 2020, but could control politics at the local level for a generation because the Democrats simply don't have the votes to stop a number of things. They only control both legislature and governors in 4 states now out of 50. And 2 of the state's are the smallest (RI & HI).
You've pretty much made my argument for me. No politician "saved all," in the history of ever. Again, you are speaking of him as if he is God.

And it sounds a lot to me like some folks on here are gloating about how close we are to becoming a one-party country. Before you wish for that, you might want to brush up on your world history.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:09 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,208,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
And you don't find any of this remotely disturbing? A president is not supposed to have unlimited power.

How is he going to start on a wall without Congressional approval when it is Congress that holds the purse strings?

I'm sure you will dismiss this as liberal whining, but you talk about him like he is some kind of absolute monarch or god, and that is seriously creepy. That kind of thinking is how free societies die.
Easy ... it's called a majority in the House and Senate.

Obama certainly didn't mind exercising his "power" with executive orders.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:19 AM

932 posts, read 902,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Obama pulled us out of the worst recession in 90 years and has done a great job as President. If it weren't for the horrible Republicans blocking everything he tried to do, he'd go down as one of the greatest Presidents in US history. He has also displayed the utmost grace, class, and dignity while in office and the first President in decades with no major scandal in the White House.

Very well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections