Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:34 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,365 times

Advertisements

I am always talking to women who after a bad relationship or divorce have decided that Men are worthless and have sworn off men. They have many girl friends who provide emotional support anyway. I rarely talk to a man who swears off women after a divorce or bad relationship. Men quickly get back into dating and usually get married again quickly. Is this true in your experience and if so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 10:37 AM

63 posts, read 252,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I am always talking to women who after a bad relationship or divorce have decided that Men are worthless and have sworn off men. They have many girl friends who provide emotional support anyway. I rarely talk to a man who swears off women after a divorce or bad relationship. Men quickly get back into dating and usually get married again quickly. Is this true in your experience and if so, why?
I've been hurt by too many men, so I can speak for myself. I am through with men completely. I am attracted to women, so I guess I will never let myself fall for another man.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:53 AM

550 posts, read 2,825,279 times
Men are not as emotional as women. We get involved more deeply than most men. When we get hurt we really take it to heart. It is easier to say "I swear off men" than to face the issue and move on. We also don't have the same sex drive as men and in a lot of cases are more able to take care of ourselves when alone. Men may need a woman to take care of him......maybe, so don't send me male hate mail!!!

Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,234 times
In part, times have changed. Women are independent, many are the "bread winners", have friends and family and a good support system. Many women don't need or even want to invest the time and energy in a relationship let alone a marriage.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:53 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
I think it's because women are becoming more like men. Thinking with the head and not the heart. I hear women saying things now that surprise me. I have a lot of friends who are single by choice. They date when they please. But they don't want marriage.

Here's a few examples:

Why would I want another one? The last one cost me too much to get rid of.

My house is clean. I only have to pick up my own underwear.

I need loyalty and companionship. That's why I have a dog.

I'm old. The only men interested in me have ED and they're looking for a long term care-giver.

Aren't these the same kinds of things men said a couple decades ago? I remember scads of 'jokes' about women taking men to the cleaners financially or looking for men to support them. I guess the pendulum has swung in the other direction.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:05 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,693 times
After my divorce, I dated and got hurt. So I swore off men and then met someone I thought was really nice, got hurt again. I think it's because Im attracted to the wrong type of men. Im not bitter though, towards men...and I haven't sworn off men completely. But for right now, Im happy just being single and being a mom.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:11 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,710 times
I have been divorced for 5 years, I haven't been involved in a serious relationship during that time. I dated someone casually and I mean very casually, it was more like we were going to the same place so we went in the same car.

The thought of getting involved seriously with someone is enough to bring on a panic attack.

I have noticed the same thing you mention.

I have even noticed the situation where women swear off men and become involved in Lesbian relationships...we discussed this in sociolgy class. I have YET to meet a man who is so disgusted with women he turns to relationships with other men...

What does it mean? I don't know.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
Men are not as emotional as women. We get involved more deeply than most men. When we get hurt we really take it to heart. It is easier to say "I swear off men" than to face the issue and move on. We also don't have the same sex drive as men and in a lot of cases are more able to take care of ourselves when alone. Men may need a woman to take care of him......maybe, so don't send me male hate mail!!!
Speak for yourself!!!!!!!!
Would never swear them off! I want MORE!!! (none of this "the one" sh*t! )

Old 05-31-2007, 12:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
I would never get married again, but I would certainly date a bunch of men. I don't need some man to take care of me or provide financial support or any of that crap. Nor do I need some man telling me what to do, how much I can spend, what time I should be home, etc. But if some man wants to lavish me with fabulous gifts, who am I to argue with him???

Old 05-31-2007, 04:33 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,183 times
I'll pipe in

I didn't want to re-marry. I did because it was my best friend of 20 years.

But truly I didn't want to re-marry anyone. I did not need a man to support me, and dating was fine enough male campionship that I needed.

I liked not feeling guilty if the house was dirty. I liked coming and going whenever I wanted and not having to call every day to wonder what to make for dinner. I LOVED HAVING THE WHOLE BED TO MYSELF. I loved that no one snored next to me. I loved not having to take care of "wifely duties" unless I felt like it (which is only a phone call away)

I loved that my days were my own. I had more space to myself. Each room was stress free and decorated (or not) the way I liked it.

I WATCHED WHAT I WANTED ON TV and didn't have to "share" or take turns with tv programs (I'm so sick of watching poker on TV)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships