Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:50 PM

137 posts, read 818,545 times

Advertisements

Okay I'll add my 2 cents too.....

I would never get married again either. I'm still trying to recover from the last one, splitting up after 22 years.

I don't hate men, I'm actually quite fond of them I just don't want one in my life, not yet anyway. Don't think I have the energy. In time it would be nice to have someone to do things with, go fishing, travel and just hang out. But for now I simply can't handle the mind games that some men play.....I dont have the patience for it, and life is too short.

I too think men are just different emotionally, (I know there are some really great guys on here, with insight and who seem to care about feelings) and I have friends whose husbands are truly wonderful guys, but for the majority I think it's easier for guys to jump back in the game after a breakup than it is for a woman, (and I think men need women more than women need men). JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I'll pipe in

I didn't want to re-marry. I did because it was my best friend of 20 years.

But truly I didn't want to re-marry anyone. I did not need a man to support me, and dating was fine enough male campionship that I needed.

I liked not feeling guilty if the house was dirty. I liked coming and going whenever I wanted and not having to call every day to wonder what to make for dinner. I LOVED HAVING THE WHOLE BED TO MYSELF. I loved that no one snored next to me. I loved not having to take care of "wifely duties" unless I felt like it (which is only a phone call away)

I loved that my days were my own. I had more space to myself. Each room was stress free and decorated (or not) the way I liked it.

I WATCHED WHAT I WANTED ON TV and didn't have to "share" or take turns with tv programs (I'm so sick of watching poker on TV)
So, are you still best friends??? Sounds like you may have been happier before you married your friend. I'm not putting you down. I too was happier when I was single. I just wish I had some of you good forum people to take me outside in a parking lot somewhere and beat me senseless before I did the "deed"! Now it's an everyday question for me - do I really want to stay married or should I just bail out and do my own thing. Unfortunately, I have other people's feelings to consider here too - otherwise I would have already bailed out long ago.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,183 times
Well not like the best friend vibe we had before

And we are happy - it's just we are such opposites it's a rough road.

I was married at 19 (too young) and then spent the majority of my 20s single - then re-married at 32. I STILL enjoy the independance and stress free life of being single much better then if I was EXTREMELY happyily married. It's not a campanion thing as much as it's a space thing

I do feel like "less of myself" now (but that also happened with motherhood)

I actually look forward to being 55 - it sounds wonderful from what my friends say

Old 05-31-2007, 10:48 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,710 times
I have been on my own most of my adult life...its been 5 years since I was divorced...

my office is light pink and sage green...no room for a man there,

my closets are full...no room for a man there...

I sleep in the MIDDLE of my king sized bed...no room for a man there...

I am very set in my ways...I think that would be a MAJOR struggle for me to get past if I were to become involved again.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,895 times
Default Yep, you need to put a sign on the lawn.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I have been on my own most of my adult life...its been 5 years since I was divorced...

my office is light pink and sage green...no room for a man there,

my closets are full...no room for a man there...

I sleep in the MIDDLE of my king sized bed...no room for a man there...

I am very set in my ways...I think that would be a MAJOR struggle for me to get past if I were to become involved again.
Just put a sign out on the lawn. "NO MAN'S NEED APPLY".

You never know when a well traveled Hobo might be in the neighborhood. If he is charming enough, your stomach could be on the bum for the rest of the night, even in a king sized bed. You may have a certain weakness for Hobo's, they are used to having their stuff on the lawn and eating out on the back steps.

I would take no chances. Put the sign on the lawn and under in lil yellow letters put "Police take notice"

Never take any chances with a man.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,527 times
Wow... you guys seem to really have given up on men and marriage.

<------ 27 year old naive and single male who wants to eventually marry and stay happily married and is now wondering if that is even possible.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:01 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,109 times
I certainly wouldn't swear off women (I'm not crazy!), but I definitely wouldn't get married again.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:17 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,527 times
Again, you guys seem to have a bad taste about marriage. Why is this?

Old 06-01-2007, 03:52 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,192 times
Well that makes sense.

Women get more emotionally involved/attached than men do and we can go longer without sex.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Again, you guys seem to have a bad taste about marriage. Why is this?
There does appear to be some bitterness here about marriage.

Having been unhappily married as well as now very happily married (to the same person) I can see why some don't want to marry again, oh but it's so nice when you get it right!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships